The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ploiyt
You were arguing that you shouldn't force your opinion onto people. I was just pointing out that forcing your opinion onto people is how society operates. You are literally forcing your opinion onto a rapist when you send them to prison for raping someone. Or a murderer for murdering someone.

to be honest im just not going to bother responding;
i could but you are using logical fallacies as arguments and you dont see it.
i hope you have a lovely evening.
yea this article is a bit crap tbh but the responses from some of these activist accounts are even worse
Reply 82
Original post by smhedfkuwj
That's the thing, I don't dictate anything to anyone. In my comment, I didn't endorse or reject the idea of kiling animals, I've simply pointed out the hypocrisy of ideology of vegan militants.

I think it is never okay to dicate anything to anyone regardless of your opinion, but to have a civilised discussion about a topic. Storming a steakhouse is not civilised, it is barbaric, yet again an example of hypocrisy. (Killing animals is barbaric after all.)

You seriously are not comparing walking into a restaurant to the mass suffering and killing of animals? 'storming' a restaurant is barbaric? you are really using that word here? First of all 'storming' is a dramatic and exaggerated word used to cause as much effect as possible. Second barbaric is generally used to describe the most appalling crimes imaginable.

'storming' a restaurant is barbaric. Get an actual grip of yourself.

If 'storming' a restaurant is barbaric than there is not a word in existence that describes how bad things like factory farming is.
Original post by ploiyt
You seriously are not comparing walking into a restaurant to the mass suffering and killing of animals? 'storming' a restaurant is barbaric? you are really using that word here? First of all 'storming' is a dramatic and exaggerated word used to cause as much effect as possible. Second barbaric is generally used to describe the most appalling crimes imaginable.

If 'storming' a restaurant is barbaric than there is not a word in existence that describes how bad things like factory farming is.

this is probably the only thing that you have said/will ever say that i can sort of agree with.

its clickbait though cant believe you're surprised
Reply 84
Original post by cheapheadphone
to be honest im just not going to bother responding;
i could but you are using logical fallacies as arguments and you dont see it.
i hope you have a lovely evening.

You're not going to respond anymore because you can't refute what I say. You know you're a digging yourself into a hole with what you just said and you are not logical consistent with your arguments. You're just like a slave owner from a few hundred years ago- narrow minded and self-entitled.
Original post by ploiyt

To behave in a barbaric way is to behave in an uncivillized and unsophisticated manner. Barbaric can be used to describe anything that fits the definition, how it is commonly used is not my concern - words are often misused.

You have dedicated 3 paragraphs to criticise my usage of one word, maybe you can bring in a fresh, interesting argument to add to this debate instead?
Reply 86
To behave in a barbaric way is to behave in an uncivillized and unsophisticated manner. Barbaric can be used to describe anything that fits the definition, how it is commonly used is not my concern - words are often misused.

You have dedicated 3 paragraphs to criticise my usage of one word, maybe you can bring in a fresh, interesting argument to add to this debate instead?

Society behaves that way to billions of animals each year.
It's practically repeat performance of the fanatic animal rights activists of the 1970-90s that were violently attacking people wearing fur, threatening to bomb animal testing facilities and shrieking their slogans in to strangers faces.
Illegal acts, imposing themselves/their fringe beliefs upon those who disagree and militant protesting in an noisy/antisocial/disruptive manner.

Militant fanatics whose extremist ideological cause is so important to them that they must force others to agree/obey and following the law is optional because the desired " end justifies any means".
Could just as well apply to anti abortion extremists, religious zealots, class war, anti capitalists/globalists or race hate groups.
Original post by ploiyt
You're not going to respond anymore because you can't refute what I say. You know you're a digging yourself into a hole with what you just said and you are not logical consistent with your arguments. You're just like a slave owner from a few hundred years ago- narrow minded and self-entitled.

The argument that killing animals for food is cruel and morally wrong is also logically and ideologically flawed. The presupposition that the plant is an acceptable altrernative is hypocritical.

But for some reason, I am completely ok letting you know this in a peaceful manner and don't feel a tendency to invade, say, a vegan retaurant.
Original post by ploiyt

firstly, i like how you deleted the other thread after you realised your obvious idiocy.

secondly, how am i digging myself a hole? you are literally saying this so it looks like you've 'won' if i stop responding lol.

fundamentally we will disagree with what is opinion and what is fact, and furthermore what life is more valuable. that is another reason why i didnt want to respond. its just going in circles.

sorry but comparing me to a slave owner is ridiculous.

imagine thinking that killing a chicken is the same as owning a slave??

how can you even say that, that doesnt win arguments. such a leftist strategy to label people who disagree with them. in fact, such a fascist thing to behave the way you do

such a contradiction.
Reply 90
The argument that killing animals for food is cruel and morally wrong is also logically and ideologically flawed. The presupposition that the plant is an acceptable altrernative is hypocritical.

But for some reason, I am completely ok letting you know this in a peaceful manner and don't feel a tendency to invade, say, a vegan retaurant.

If you generally believe that plants are sentient then I take it you'd want someone prosecuted for plant cruelty for kicking a bunch of plants. A person that kicks a plant is just as bad as a person that kicks a puppy and should be punished accordingly?

If there was a restaurant somewhere that killed and ate babies and it was legal I take it you wouldn't protest against it then?
Original post by ploiyt
Society behaves that way to billions of animals each year.

Ok, this is going nowhere. Let's suppose eating animals the ultimate evil. Let's suppose we can make killing animals for food illegal tomorrow. Most of the population will die. Most of the animals we breed for food will die. If you can accept that consequence, fine. I prefer not to. Now, that will kill more people than Stalin, Mao and Hitler combined. See how morality isn't always an option?
As is amply demonstrated by Nearly-friendless Nick in his many incarnations, these militant vegans have not cottoned on to the realisation that in order to influence people they have to engage with them in a manner that ensures their message will be listened to and, perhaps, accepted.

Certainly, nobody will ever be persuaded of the merits of their argument if they all behave as this chap does. having your evening ruined by an intimidating bunch of shouting bullies is unlikely in the extreme to commend their cause to you.
Reply 93
Original post by cheapheadphone
firstly, i like how you deleted the other thread after you realised your obvious idiocy.

secondly, how am i digging myself a hole? you are literally saying this so it looks like you've 'won' if i stop responding lol.

Firstly, I didn't delete that thread it was deleted by the mods as you're not allowed to make threads that offend the masses on this website.

Secondly. you're digging yourself into a hole as you said you can't use an argument against someone that disagrees with you morally.Once I pointed out that by that logic you can't argue against nazis/kkk etc as in their opinion there is nothing wrong with what they do then you realized how big of a hole you were digging for yourself and backtracked

fundamentally we will disagree with what is opinion and what is fact, and furthermore what life is more valuable. that is another reason why i didnt want to respond. its just going in circles.

No because it is obvious what is a fact and what is an opinion if you're logical.

sorry but comparing me to a slave owner is ridiculous.

imagine thinking that killing a chicken is the same as owning a slave??

how can you even say that, that doesnt win arguments. such a leftist strategy to label people who disagree with them. in fact, such a fascist thing to behave the way you do

such a contradiction.

How can you even find that ridiculous? You are enslaving another live and think you are self entitled to them just like what a slave owner felt towards his slaves. Ironic that you call me a fascist yet you support the suffering of billions of animals and think it is your right to treat them as products.

Its like a nazi calling a human rights advocate a fascists. You couldn't make it up.
Original post by ploiyt
If you generally believe that plants are sentient then I take it you'd want someone prosecuted for plant cruelty for kicking a bunch of plants. A person that kicks a plant is just as bad as a person that kicks a puppy and should be punished accordingly?

If there was a restaurant somewhere that killed and ate babies and it was legal I take it you wouldn't protest against it then?

Why not, they both have feelings by definition and hence it would be morally wrong to kill them, which is the logic that vegans use?

If it was something I was against, I would. What has that got to do with anything?

Sorry, but if you equalise humans and animals you will be stepping on a very slippery slope. How far are they equal exactly, can a dog get married to a human, can a dog get a mortage?
Reply 95
Original post by Good bloke
As is amply demonstrated by Nearly-friendless Nick in his many incarnations, these militant vegans have not cottoned on to the realisation that in order to influence people they have to engage with them in a manner that ensures their message will be listened to and, perhaps, accepted.

Certainly, nobody will ever be persuaded of the merits of their argument if they all behave as this chap does. having your evening ruined by an intimidating bunch of shouting bullies is unlikely in the extreme to commend their cause to you.

Calling me a bully when you support the torture of billions of animals. How ironic.

Funny how we didn't get the Nazis to change by talking to them.
Original post by ploiyt
How can you even find that ridiculous? You are enslaving another live and think you are self entitled to them just like what a slave owner felt towards his slaves. Ironic that you call me a fascist yet you support the suffering of billions of animals and think it is your right to treat them as products.

Its like a nazi calling a human rights advocate a fascists. You couldn't make it up.

Let’s just agree to disagree, you can carry one being vegan while others can carry on eating meat, there are no problems :smile:
Original post by ploiyt
Calling me a bully when you support the torture of billions of animals. How ironic.

Funny how we didn't get the Nazis to change by talking to them.

So what are you gonna do? If you saw a farmer who is about to slaughter an animal, what would you will do?
Reply 98
Why not, they both have feelings by definition and hence it would be morally wrong to kill them, which is the logic that vegans use?

If it was something I was against, I would. What has that got to do with anything?

So you want someone to be charged with plant cruelty if they kick a bunch of plants and its just as bad as kicking a bunch of puppies? Can you confirm that is what you believe?

Sorry, but if you equalise humans and animals you will be stepping on a very slippery slope. How far are they equal exactly, can a dog get married to a human, can a dog get a mortage?

They are equal in terms of physical suffering. Also mental suffering to an extent.
Original post by Professional G
Let’s just agree to disagree, you can carry one being vegan while others can carry on eating meat, there are no problems :smile:

nicely said

Latest

Trending

Trending