Getting a career in investment banking with a maths degree Warwick/Imperial vs Oxford

Watch
JackMac2904
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys. So basically I got rejected from Oxford yesterday, asided from feeling like a failure in general, I also feel as though my career aspirations are falling apart.

What I want to know is if I can get a career in a top tier bank with a (hopefully first class) degree from Warwick, Imperial or UCL.

Also, I'm not particularly sure which uni I should go for, I hold offers for Warwick and UCL and I'm waiting for Imperial. Assuming I get into Imperial, which one might be best for my career aspirations? I'm thinking Imperial but as far as I'm aware, Warwick is better for maths.

Thanks in advance for any advice
yr13ishard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JackMac2904)
Hi guys. So basically I got rejected from Oxford yesterday, asided from feeling like a failure in general, I also feel as though my career aspirations are falling apart.

What I want to know is if I can get a career in a top tier bank with a (hopefully first class) degree from Warwick, Imperial or UCL.

Also, I'm not particularly sure which uni I should go for, I hold offers for Warwick and UCL and I'm waiting for Imperial. Assuming I get into Imperial, which one might be best for my career aspirations? I'm thinking Imperial but as far as I'm aware, Warwick is better for maths.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Firstly, please do not feel like a failure. You came all this way so well done!

Secondly, as far as I am aware a lot of people have told me Warwick is best for Maths after Oxford and has a great maths department!

Can I just ask did you apply on a Gap year?

Good luck with the rest of your studies!
JackMac2904
Rep:
?
(Original post by yr13ishard)
Firstly, please do not feel like a failure. You came all this way so well done!

Secondly, as far as I am aware a lot of people have told me Warwick is best for Maths after Oxford and has a great maths department!

Can I just ask did you apply on a Gap year?

Good luck with the rest of your studies!
I think that is true for Warwick (at least in England), I just feel as though Imperial might be better for career aspirations. I am on a gap year, I did some work experience last week at Santander Assets and absolutely loved the experience

Thankyou
chieula2301
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Imperial and Warwick are both target uni, UCL is a target as well but not as good as the others
yr13ishard
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that is true for Warwick (at least in England), I just feel as though Imperial might be better for career aspirations. I am on a gap year, I did some work experience last week at Santander Assets and absolutely loved the experience

Thankyou
Yep, in England, but also most of my international friends agree about Warick! I'm not saying anything is wrong with Imperial but if I was in your position I think I would choose Warwick because of it's maths reputation!

The reason why I asked about you being on a gap year is because I will be taking one next year and hoping to apply to Oxford( not sure though)

I also think you should be proud that you have offers from Warwick and UCL as it shows that they know you have great potential
username4240292
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths is one of the weakest points of UCL.

Warwick > Imperial > > > > > > > > > UCL.
melwilliams3000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My brother works at JP Morgan and his team is made up of 6 Imperial guys and another person from Queen Marys so in short... no.

Oxford/Cambridge always seems the be all and end all but your uni only helps get through the first door. After that things no uni can teach you becomes more important (eg work experience, how you present, your personality etc)
JackMac2904
Rep:
?
Thanks for everyones responses. I understand that Warwick is a better maths course. However, would I be better off at Imperial due to its location. Surely being located in London would allow for a lot more opportunities regarding career prospects. Must be much better for making and staying in touch with contacts in the industry.
username4217900
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why a maths degree if you main aim is to break into IB? Maths is one of the best degrees and is applicable in many industries but you could literally get into IB doing a music degree as long as you show interest in IB
JackMac2904
Rep:
?
(Original post by rumatar)
Why a maths degree if you main aim is to break into IB? Maths is one of the best degrees and is applicable in many industries but you could literally get into IB doing a music degree as long as you show interest in IB
I'm not doing a maths degree to get into IB. I'm doing it because I love maths (God I sound like a nerd lol)
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not doing a maths degree to get into IB. I'm doing it because I love maths (God I sound like a nerd lol)
Well that begs the question, if you love maths why do you want to go into IBanking? You aren't likely to use anything more sophisticated than GCSE maths in banking, certainly not on a regular basis - quantitative finance is not the same...

In any case, Warwick and Imperial are on par with each other and Oxford; they have somewhat different course structures and options available though, so look which suit you better. Besides the course itself, if banking is still your aim, Warwick has a lot of careers/networking events from what I hear; it's enough of a target that banks go to Warwick to actively recruit students. You may also want to consider the differences in life and culture there - living in London is very different to Leamington Spa, and not to everyone's taste (and vice versa).
JackMac2904
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Well that begs the question, if you love maths why do you want to go into IBanking? You aren't likely to use anything more sophisticated than GCSE maths in banking, certainly not on a regular basis - quantitative finance is not the same...

In any case, Warwick and Imperial are on par with each other and Oxford; they have somewhat different course structures and options available though, so look which suit you better. Besides the course itself, if banking is still your aim, Warwick has a lot of careers/networking events from what I hear; it's enough of a target that banks go to Warwick to actively recruit students. You may also want to consider the differences in life and culture there - living in London is very different to Leamington Spa, and not to everyone's taste (and vice versa).
I did a weeks work experience at an investment bank and absolutely loved it hence why I want to go into it.

I prefer the look of the course at Warwick but much prefer the location of Imperial.
username4240292
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this really true? :lol:

With the number of maths students on my course wanting to get into IB I thought it was so because they want to make while at the same time still being able to do some interesting maths. Wow!
username4217900
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ftfy)

With the number of maths students on my course wanting to get into IB I thought it was so because they want to make while at the same time still being able to do some interesting maths. Wow!
Most people who want to go into IB do it for the money. Not sure why everyone tries to sugercoat it lol.
JackMac2904
Rep:
?
Most people who want to go into IB do it for the money. Not sure why everyone tries to sugercoat it lol.
Personally, I am actually very much interested in the business, mainly front office positions or possibly a position in investment risk. Of course, if they want to pay me well, I'm not gonna complain :laugh:
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ftfy)

Quantitative finance does use more sophisticated maths, but this isn't what investment banking as it's generally understood involves...and to go into quant finance you usually need a PhD, or certainly at least a masters, in a "numerate" area, usually with computational/programming elements.

They do make good money (although not as incredibly high amounts as they used to, as I understand) and do indeed use some more "interesting" maths, although it's actually a lot programming and software development to do things with this interesting maths, rather than directly working on it as I understand.

By and large people go into investment banking (i.e. analyst positions only requiring a bachelors) for the money as noted.
username4217900
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I am actually very much interested in the business, mainly front office positions or possibly a position in investment risk. Of course, if they want to pay me well, I'm not gonna complain :laugh:
Fair enough, I wish you the best of luck with it. I saw a vid the other day of a finalist at Warwick who is an incoming analyst giving tips on how to get an internship and the amount of work needed just to land an internship is insane.
username4217900
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quantitative finance does use more sophisticated maths, but this isn't what investment banking as it's generally understood involves...and to go into quant finance you usually need a PhD, or certainly at least a masters, in a "numerate" area, usually with computational/programming elements.

They do make good money (although not as incredibly high amounts as they used to, as I understand) and do indeed use some more "interesting" maths, although it's actually a lot programming and software development to do things with this interesting maths, rather than directly working on it as I understand.

By and large people go into investment banking (i.e. analyst positions only requiring a bachelors) for the money as noted.
TSR really glams up IB because of the money but everyone seems to overlook the 70-80 hour average work week, poor work/life balance and toxic culture.
JackMac2904
Rep:
?
Fair enough, I wish you the best of luck with it. I saw a vid the other day of a finalist at Warwick who is an incoming analyst giving tips on how to get an internship and the amount of work needed just to land an internship is insane.
Thankyou very much. Yeah, I am under no illusion that my degree and uni alone will get me into the career, but I am willing to put the work in
username4217900
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thankyou very much. Yeah, I am under no illusion that my degree and uni alone will get me into the career, but I am willing to put the work in
With a maths degree (especially from warwick/imperial) you will have amazing career prospects in lots of different fields. Whether to go to imperial or warwick is down to which course you prefer more since they both have similar prospects, also take into account the high cost of living and poor social life in london. I personally prefer the Warwick course due to the wider range of modules and amount of options you're given.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (194)
29.66%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.67%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.87%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.41%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.57%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.81%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads