username3121088
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm coming to the end of my first term at a uni, and I'm curious to know if what's going on in my class is usual.

No one really speaks to anyone else generally (if we're waiting for lecturers to turn up for ten minutes, you can hear a pin drop), and secondly, when in class there are only maybe two people who ever speak or answer questions, simply because there's been a long silence and someone has to say something.
It's a bit like pulling teeth. It all seems a bit dead, and it can make for quite difficult tutorials, which I thought the whole point of them was for people to bounce ideas off each others and discuss.

Is this a first term thing, or something anyone else has had with their classes?
Highlander.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there!
I think that this situation is subjective to each class and lecture, etc.
Personally, my lecture classes do not tend to speak unless they are prompted to by our teachers. If they do, it is, like you say, normally one or two people that are very engaged in the lesson, and speak out if they have any opinions or questions, etc.
I always like to engage in every single lecture, and so am constantly talking and making the most of the lecture time.
I wouldn’t worry too much - University has just begun, and I think that some of your classmates are bound to be feeling nervous.
I hope this helped!

Kind Regards,
Highlander.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah it's pretty common. People want to just get the lecture or seminar done and then leave with minimal effort.
Jessie24
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This happens in my seminars. People talk outside of the lectures but nobody talks in my seminars. The seminar leader/ teacher gets really annoyed at my group because no one talks at all or contributes and once there was a 5 min silence after he asked a question. I personally don't feel that I get much from the seminars and prefer lectures and tutorials. I think it may be just a first term thing though.
Highlander.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Jessie24 - I'm sorry that no one talks in your Seminars! I'm sure that is a first term thing - are you excited for Christmas? Personally, I cannot wait!
I am finding that University workload is a lot of work, and it seems to be never - ending! I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.
How are you finding the social aspect of your course?

Kind Regards,
Highlander.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've found that it depends on the group. Some lectures I've been in were deathly silent, but I think in that case it was due to the majority of the class being completely uninvested in the content (it was one of the modules where people didn't have much choice about picking it due to clashing schedules/limited module options). The lecturer would usually then just answer her own questions to speed things along.

Another module I had was quite complex, and a lot of people found it difficult, so no one wanted to venture an answer to a question in case they had got it completely wrong. In that case, the lecturer would literally just wait as long as he had to, until someone found the situation too painful and volunteered to say something.

I found that generally seminars were better for more open discussion, but again, lulls did happen and needed 'picking up' by the lecturer.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is quite common in a lot of first year classes, yeah. People will slowly but surely acquire some balls over time, do not fear.
kate-Bush
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KoreVictoire)
I'm coming to the end of my first term at a uni, and I'm curious to know if what's going on in my class is usual.

No one really speaks to anyone else generally (if we're waiting for lecturers to turn up for ten minutes, you can hear a pin drop), and secondly, when in class there are only maybe two people who ever speak or answer questions, simply because there's been a long silence and someone has to say something.
It's a bit like pulling teeth. It all seems a bit dead, and it can make for quite difficult tutorials, which I thought the whole point of them was for people to bounce ideas off each others and discuss.

Is this a first term thing, or something anyone else has had with their classes?
yeah this has happened in my seminar so much. I thought it was bc the ppl in my class were just...dead...but if it happens to a lot of people must be a psychological thing?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey KoreVictoire

This is pretty commonplace for me too. Very few students are confident in their first year to speak out, some people have anxiety... the list goes on.

You'll probably find in smaller seminars/later on in the year that people are more confident and comfortable. In my second year, half of my class eats up the time just throwing back and forth different topics to talk about.

Hope this helps
Josh
Jessie24
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Highlander.)
Jessie24 - I'm sorry that no one talks in your Seminars! I'm sure that is a first term thing - are you excited for Christmas? Personally, I cannot wait!
I am finding that University workload is a lot of work, and it seems to be never - ending! I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.
How are you finding the social aspect of your course?

Kind Regards,
Highlander.
Yes, I agree, university work is never-ending! I have so much reading to do all of the time.
Highlander.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Jessie24 -
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, I don’t know where you lot went to university, but this was not my experience in the 4 years I was there. We were a mix of young people coming straight from school, to younger mature students in their 20’s, to older students with young children and me as the oldest in the university. We all chatted to each other and got on very well both before lectures/seminars and we all interacted after the first couple of weeks in the first year. Seminars were a time where we all got to know each other’s strengths and weaknesses depending on the module we were doing.
It might just be down to the mix of students in the class.
Amellia123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Lecturers always think it is a good idea to pose questions to a theatre of 100 students but obviously no one is going to answer in front of all those people! Maybe the people on your course just have friends not on the course hence why they don't speak!
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seminars went like this. A topic would be posted on Blackboard for us to prepare for the seminar the following week. This would include readings. In the seminar, we would get into groups of 3-4 and the lecturer would come around the tables and look at each small group contribution to the topic. So there was no possibility of anyone feeling singled out to answer a question in a seminar or feel uncomfortable.
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
I know people are finding this normal, I for one find this weird. All my classes we always use to chat before and plenty of people would answer questions during. Ever since first year 🤷🏽*♂️
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

It might be that others in the class feel the way you do and that they are also waiting for someone to speak. Tutorials and seminars are where the most is learned. Things come up that you might not have thought about and that adds to the learning.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on the group of people I guess. It's always going to be awkward at first when no one knows each other, but people on my course seemed to gel quite quickly and little friendship groups were formed early on. We did have a lot of people on he course, though, so that may have helped. More people means more chance of finding someone you get along with naturally.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago

Not normal from my experience, but i accept it might be for others.

Maybe I was a person who didnt care and some of my coursemates were friends, so we would sit around and have a laugh.
It can be a bit cliquey by then, but I was always open to talking to anyone. People might also be bored or suffering from the night before though.

Silences are boring so I used to love answering questions as its part of learning. Something you are paying for. Childish to try and hide or not prepare. If people dont answer it just means more contact time for me.

Some students might want to rethink why they are there.

We used to have some lecturers who made people cry because they couldnt deal with being asked to prepare and then being asked a question. Better to try and get it wrong, than hide.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 year ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is why, when I'm teaching, I pick on people at first. Asking a question to the room when no one knows you or each other never works - its either a hard question and people are not sure of the answer so stay quiet, or its an easy question and everyone is scared of the embarrassment if they get it wrong so stay quiet! But after you've forced people into talking a bit the engagement gets so much better, and i think it really keep people alert and listening if they know they might be asked something! Much better for learning.

My teaching groups do tend to be small though. If i was lecturing a large group I'd try to pick on groups if possible (e.g. a row).
s817
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I wish it was like that on my course. No one shuts up until the tutors arrive but during lectures everyone is quiet. During seminars some people participate but the majority don't. In tutorials we are all expected to participate which I hate but it really depends on the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (277)
48.26%
No (65)
11.32%
I'm not old enough (232)
40.42%

Watched Threads