The Student Room Group

Resitting A-Levels while doing my masters; pointless or potentially worthwhile?

Hey everyone,

So I'm currently doing my masters at a top 5 University in Mathematics while applying for actuarial graduate programmes, and I did my bachelors in Mathematics in a top 10 University.

I'm quite disappointed with my A-Level grades as I didn't do as well as I expected, so I'm considering re-doing them but I'm unsure if there's any point in doing so.

In my A-Levels, I got A*BC in Maths, Further Maths and Physics respectively. I've spoken with an exam centre near my university and have been told that I could redo Further Maths (it would be an entirely different qualification as it's a different exam board) but I can't do Physics because of the coursework component. Because of this, I'm thinking of doing Religious Studies as I'm interested in religion anyway.

My question is, is there any benefit for my future in doing this? Or should I let go of my disappointment and not waste my time?

Thanks guys :smile:
You're about to study a masters in a fantastic subject. Unless you are applying for a particular job or scheme for which your grades are inadiquate, resetting A levels will be as useful as retaking year 6 SATS.
Reply 2
Original post by Just a Bloke
You're about to study a masters in a fantastic subject. Unless you are applying for a particular job or scheme for which your grades are inadiquate, resetting A levels will be as useful as retaking year 6 SATS.

You aren't wrong haha, It's more of a personal thing I think but I suppose I could spend my time elsewhere, thanks for the reply!
Imo it would be a waste to resit FM when you have a masters degree in maths from such a good university (!!)
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
Imo it would be a waste to resit FM when you have a masters degree in maths from such a good university (!!)

I suppose so, I just wish that I had tried harder in the past!

The benefit I can see from doing this is that it would make my grad scheme applications much stronger, but the downside is that I'll be doing much more work during this year, leaving less time for my hobbies, etc.

I'm so unsure :s-smilie: haha
Reply 5
Original post by MohinxP
Hey everyone,

So I'm currently doing my masters at a top 5 University in Mathematics while applying for actuarial graduate programmes, and I did my bachelors in Mathematics in a top 10 University.

I'm quite disappointed with my A-Level grades as I didn't do as well as I expected, so I'm considering re-doing them but I'm unsure if there's any point in doing so.

In my A-Levels, I got A*BC in Maths, Further Maths and Physics respectively. I've spoken with an exam centre near my university and have been told that I could redo Further Maths (it would be an entirely different qualification as it's a different exam board) but I can't do Physics because of the coursework component. Because of this, I'm thinking of doing Religious Studies as I'm interested in religion anyway.

My question is, is there any benefit for my future in doing this? Or should I let go of my disappointment and not waste my time?

The new A-levels are linear so there is no coursework requirement, no idea what they're talking about (unless they mean practical in which case you still don't have to don't as they don't have any affect on your end grade). I suppose FM will be a walk in the park because you're doing a masters so it wont be hard to grasp the concepts. In terms of Physics that might take a little bit more work as you may of forgotten a lot of the work, maybe do the FM in one year then give Physics a go if you still want to?
Reply 6
Original post by Asda9001
The new A-levels are linear so there is no coursework requirement, no idea what they're talking about (unless they mean practical in which case you still don't have to don't as they don't have any affect on your end grade). I suppose FM will be a walk in the park because you're doing a master so it wont be hard to grasp the concepts. In terms of Physics that make take a little bit more work as you may of forgotten a lot of the work, maybe do the FM in one year then give Physics a go if you still want to?

Essentially what I've been told is that one of the exams for any of the triples sciences is essentially coursework, as they do an experiment at the college so I won't be able to do it. I've had a look at the specification for each of the sciences and they are correct. My only option as of now is to do Further Maths and another A-Level (my choice being religious studies) this coming exam season, so June 2019. Further Maths won't take any longer than a week to learn I believe but religious studies will definitely take a lot of effort to learn and to be able to get a good grade. Should I just focus on my degree and forget about my A-Levels?
Original post by MohinxP

No benefit at all, get over it and use your time more constructively.

Anyone who cares, very competitive employers in specific sectors of employment, rightly or wrongly, are looking for sustained excellence so resitting anything, or doing it at a later age doesn't count. To anyone else, higher qualifications trump lower qualifications. It would just be a vanity project, and anyone you disclosed your new grades to would likely see it as such.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
No benefit at all, get over it and use your time more constructively.

Anyone who cares, very competitive employers in specific sectors of employment, rightly or wrongly, are looking for sustained excellence so resitting anything, or doing it at a later age doesn't count. To anyone else, higher qualifications trump lower qualifications. It would just be a vanity project, and anyone you disclosed your new grades to would likely see it as such.

Thanks for the straightforward answer. You are completely right and I suppose that the only way to show that I'm capable of doing well is to get the best possible grade for my masters.

Cheers again :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by MohinxP
Essentially what I've been told is that one of the exams for any of the triples sciences is essentially coursework, as they do an experiment at the college so I won't be able to do it. I've had a look at the specification for each of the sciences and they are correct. My only option as of now is to do Further Maths and another A-Level (my choice being religious studies) this coming exam season, so June 2019. Further Maths won't take any longer than a week to learn I believe but religious studies will definitely take a lot of effort to learn and to be able to get a good grade. Should I just focus on my degree and forget about my A-Levels?

That's not correct. For example AQA Physics paper 3: 80 marks ~ 45 marks short & long answer questions on practical experiments and data analysis; 35 marks short & long answer questions on your optional topic. 45 marks in relations to practicals and data analysis, you don't need to have done the practicals to know what to do in the practicals. Your books / revision guides will go over everything you need to know about in the practical for indirect assessment (assessment in the exam). Also the specification for the exam board has a section for practicals and tells you everything you need to understand about the practical that could come up in the exam. You'll be in just the same position as everyone else except you didn't have to get your hands dirty :smile:
Original post by MohinxP
Thanks for the straightforward answer. You are completely right and I suppose that the only way to show that I'm capable of doing well is to get the best possible grade for my masters.

I'd just like to add that no one is going to accept your new grade as worthwhile. Alevel s are designed for 16-18 year olds with only a basic education in their subjects so far, you have an advanced understanding of maths and so you would obviously do well in a maths alevel. ie it's not really fair and so employers won't care. if you really want to do Alevels as a challenge go for completely different ones (ie RS, Biology maybe). But that would only be an academic exercise and not worth it imo.

You say a reason to do it is that you wish you worked harder in your youth. I say, stop finding other things to do this year and concentrate on your masters- make sure your get a great first and ace interviews, grad applications or whatever. Make up for your past mistakes not by taking a do-over on your 18 yet old life (which probably won't actually make you feel better anyway, as you know that you still didn't work hard when you were 18 whatever you do now) by learning from your mistakes and working hard now.
Original post by MohinxP

If you were to show on your CV:
Masters mathematics
A level x/y/z - Grade A*/B/C

or
Masters mathematics
A level x/y/z - Grade A*/A*/A*

Which would make you feel happier? If it comes down to you and someone else with A*/A*/A* whilst being on-par with everything else, they're going to chose the person with A*s

Quick Reply

Latest