Turn on thread page Beta

Teachers/tutors opinions needed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a university student doing some research for one of my Media production modules. As part of my research I am hoping you could give some feedback on a theoretical educational product proposal.

My group is proposing a theoretical app which helps with the efficiency of group work; it creates a professional space where students can discuss and organise group work both inside and outside the classroom.

The app will feature: a group chat, register system for meetings, task tracker (students can see the individual tasks they need to complete for the group), file share, teacher/tutor access to certain data (tasks completed, individuals attendance to group meetings) and a calendar function that combines all timetables to show when students are all free.

We want to revolutionise group work and help students communicate effectively in a professional environment - as well as give the opportunity for each individuals personal contributions to be noticed.

We would love to know if you think our idea would work in an educational system and what your general thoughts are! Thank you so much!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    What sort of age group are you aiming this at?

At secondary level 11-16, I think more and more schools are going down the "no phones in the classroom" route for all sorts of reasons. How would your app fit in to this sort of environment?

Schools also have to be very up on GDPR- have you thought about how your app fits in with this, especially in terms of security?

Would your app be paid for? How would you justify the cost to cash strapped schools?

I can sort of see why it's useful to have everything all on one app, but I think most students will choose the familiarity of e.g. google drive and whatsapp over an unknown app- especially in terms of uploading work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaneAnderson)
    We want to revolutionise group work and help students communicate effectively in a professional environment - as well as give the opportunity for each individuals personal contributions to be noticed.
    I am on the fence about group work, or as the education establishment call it, cooperative learning. John Hattie rates this style of learning at around 0.54 which compared to interventions of 1+ is pretty lame and only just inside his "zone of desirable effects". In reality it is really hard work. Any class will contain kids that are up for it but also kids that just aren't interested and those kids are the ones that scupper if for the rest. You also risk tasks where one student does all the work whilst everyone else lets them and they are a minefield for low level behaviour and being off task.

Personally, I am not convinced and can't take the risk with low ability classes. Now top set high ability, highly motivated kids - absolutely. But it is still more hard work than it is generally worth.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I am on the fence about group work, or as the education establishment call it, cooperative learning. John Hattie rates this style of learning at around 0.54 which compared to interventions of 1+ is pretty lame and only just inside his "zone of desirable effects". In reality it is really hard work. Any class will contain kids that are up for it but also kids that just aren't interested and those kids are the ones that scupper if for the rest. You also risk tasks where one student does all the work whilst everyone else lets them and they are a minefield for low level behaviour and being off task.

Personally, I am not convinced and can't take the risk with low ability classes. Now top set high ability, highly motivated kids - absolutely. But it is still more hard work than it is generally worth.
    Yes, I'm not really sure how much this sort of long term project style group work is used by secondary schools- even at sixth form level it has the potential to be high hassle, low benefit.

Even at sixth form level, I think it's more along the lines of "go away, research in pairs, present next lesson" sort of thing- which I'm not sure you need an app to manage.

Lower down the school, most group work seems to be more classroom based e.g. discuss this together for a few minutes and write down your ideas.

Longer term group projects are probably more of a uni thing- or even a workplace thing.

I actually think OP may have got their target market wrong, as I can imagine some project managers might find something along these lines quite useful!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.