Turn on thread page Beta

TES Institute (Online) MFL SKE Course watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I am due to start an initial teacher training (ITT) programme in September 2019 to teach MFL (French and Spanish).

Although I have not been asked to complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course, I feel as though it may very well be useful as I have only studied French and Spanish up to A Level.

I am thinking of completing the TES Institute (online) MFL SKE course, which is said to require “20-25 hours per week on a full-time SKE course.” Has anyone completed this course? What are your opinions on it? Are 20-25 hours per week an accurate estimate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sev1)
    I am thinking of completing the TES Institute (online) MFL SKE course, which is said to require “20-25 hours per week on a full-time SKE course.” Has anyone completed this course? What are your opinions on it? Are 20-25 hours per week an accurate estimate?
    I'm a PGCE student currently teaching French and Spanish. I knew practiaclly no real French this time last year, but received an offer conditional on completing a 12 week French SKE. I was working full time as a TA for most of the course, as well as finishing my BA degree in Spanish and linguistics; most evenings I had to work for 2 hours on my French (Rosetta Stone foundations). I found it tiresome, tedious and just a bunch of hoops to jump through. It did little to progress my French. But I passed.

In my opinion, you do have to put the work in on those courses, but it is quite repetitive and mundane so only do it if you have to. You can put it on your CV which might be useful when looking for teaching posts.

Also you can get funding for an SKE course, in which case they are worth doing if you have the free time. Otherwise, I would focus on language exchanges, reading lots of French magazines/short novels, watching French films (with French subtitles if possible) and listening to French music. Youtube has lots of content in French.

Teaching KS3 and KS4 languages is relatively easy - people have remarked that they've done it by only being 1 lesson ahead of the kids. Obviously this is a stressful way to teach, and you will likely be far ahead of the KS3 content already with your knowledge.

Have a look at AQA / Pearson websites to see the KS3 and KS4 suggested schemes of work and practice papers. Take the French exams and see where your knowledge is lacking in regards to the syllabus material - then top that up!

Good luck, it's a nice life being a languages teacher - but be prepared for enthusiasm to be potentially very low for years 8 and 9!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.