The Student Room Group

Oxford interview

I've been invited for an interview at Oxford (not sure when as it's not at the college I applied to so I'm due to find out in the next few days) but I'm so nervous I don't even want to go. I've read about people on my course's interview experiences and the questions seem tricky - I don't know if I'd be able to think on my feet to answer them- and I'm terrified about spending 2/3 days at Oxford, and the whole process really :frown: Obviously it would be silly not to go, I'm just really dreading it
Reply 1
Original post by student0864
I've been invited for an interview at Oxford (not sure when as it's not at the college I applied to so I'm due to find out in the next few days) but I'm so nervous I don't even want to go. I've read about people on my course's interview experiences and the questions seem tricky - I don't know if I'd be able to think on my feet to answer them- and I'm terrified about spending 2/3 days at Oxford, and the whole process really :frown: Obviously it would be silly not to go, I'm just really dreading it

Hi I'm moving this to the University of Oxford forum. There are plenty of nervous interviewees here too :wink:

There's also lots of student helpers at college when you are there to keep an eye on you and, afaik, (optional) events laid on to keep you entertained too.

Edit: @artful_lounger already moved it for you! :smile:

There's also some interview resources you might like to check out:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/interviews
(edited 5 years ago)
course ?
I've moved your thread to the Oxford forum :smile:

Perhaps focus less on it as an admissions interview, and more of a chance to talk about (non-trivially) the subject you're interested in pursuing at degree level. They aren't so interested in you getting the right answer as how you reason your way towards an answer, from every source I've seen on the matter as well, so they just want to see how you think about your subject.

Outside of the interview, you also get to spend time visiting what is probably the nearest thing to Hogwarts in the real world so you can just take in the sights even if you write off the possibility of doing well in the interview for whatever reason.
Original post by student0864

@the artful lounger says, everyone there will be nervous. It's just that some will be better at hiding it. There will be student helpers a- current U/Gs who will remember how nervous they felt a year or two ago. remember that the tutors are already impressed by your academic record and your PS, and they want you to do well in the interview. Treat it as a conversation - they are deliberately trying to avoid questions that have a simple answer because they won't find out anything about you if all you need do is reply, "Twelve point three" or "It's a hedgehog". So it is completely normal to panic for a moment. Just talk out loud through your thoughts as you try to work out an answer, "That's hard. My first thought is to wonder if I can work out the volume of the area under the torture chamber, and use the Avogadro number somehow. But I don't know how..." They will give you hints when you let them know you need them. Otherwise, remember that you are getting a couple of days free bed and board in an Oxford college that toursits pay £100s for. Relax and try to be yourself.
Reply 5
And here's where to find all the other interviewees:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5671410
The Official Oxford Interviews Thread 2019

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by artful_lounger
Outside of the interview, you also get to spend time visiting what is probably the nearest thing to Hogwarts in the real world so you can just take in the sights even if you write off the possibility of doing well in the interview for whatever reason.

It depends on the college - some are just ugly e.g. St Anne's accommodation 'block'..
Original post by Muttley79
It depends on the college - some are just ugly e.g. St Anne's accommodation 'block'..

I mean you could probably just go into some other college just to look around couldn't you?
Original post by Rohan77642
I mean you could probably just go into some other college just to look around couldn't you?

It depends - you have to pay to get into some college grounds. Will you be given a pass to look around elsewhere?
Reply 9
Original post by Rohan77642

At the ones that charge for entry, if you say you are an applicant they usually let you in for free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
At the ones that charge for entry, if you say you are an applicant they usually let you in for free.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to know. Thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending