The Student Room Group

Getting into Uni with different A-Levels to the required ones?

Okay, so I really want to take BSc Veterinary Nursing and Bioveterinary Science at Bristol University. I take Biology, History and Psychology. They require a BBC where the BB is Biology and Chemistry... They do have another course which is BSc Veterinary Nursing and Companion Animal Behaviour which I would also like and only requires a science related subject as well as Biology (so psychology works there) but I'm wondering if it is worth applying for the other course or will they flat out reject me based on the lack? Like what if I got an A in Biology and Psychology?? Just wondering for anyone who knows! :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Mimi2kk1
Okay, so I really want to take BSc Veterinary Nursing and Bioveterinary Science at Bristol University. I take Biology, History and Psychology. They require a BBC where the BB is Biology and Chemistry... They do have another course which is BSc Veterinary Nursing and Companion Animal Behaviour which I would also like and only requires a science related subject as well as Biology (so psychology works there) but I'm wondering if it is worth applying for the other course or will they flat out reject me based on the lack? Like what if I got an A in Biology and Psychology?? Just wondering for anyone who knows! :smile:

Thanks!

There is a reason why they want you to have Chemistry as it is most like more chemistry orientated. Maybe chemistry is the foundation of that degree so having it is a must ??

If i were you i would simply not just apply and choose another uni that would most likely accept you rather than reject you as that's just a waste of an application.
If they require A-level Chemistry and you don't have it you will be rejected more or less categorically - and in the rare exception where you might not be, there is a good chance you would be better off if you had. Such requirements are usually because they will assume without further ado from day one you have studied the entirety of that A-level and understand it to a good level. If you have never understood it, you will be starting the course already behind.

You could look into the option of a foundation year, if it's offered, or alternately into taking a gap year and taking A-level Chemistry, if you would much rather the first course. This would likely allow you to pursue that first option - however if you don't want to take A-level Chemistry and/or don't think you would enjoy/do well in it, then this probably translates to that course as well.
Reply 3
Original post by Mimi2kk1

Thanks!

If a subject is "required" as opposed to "preferred" then that's what it is - required. If you don't have it you will definitely be rejected, although they *might* offer the alternate course instead.

Apply for the course you actually have a chance of meeting the requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending