The Student Room Group

Need some help !!

I feel as if I’m the only one struggling this much to choose where I want to study?!

My Alevel grades are: Art A*, photography A*, Technology C. And I’m currently undertaking an art and design foundation course.

Im applying for BA fine art

I don’t know how important rankings and stats are. But from all the research ( which I have been collecting for months from uni websites, uni stats, the guardian, YouTube, this app, and many others) and from visiting some of these universities, I have come down to these options:
Which are not in any specific order

Goldsmiths (London) - visited
Huddersfield - visited
Kingston (London)
Slade (London)
Bath spa
Bournemouth - visited
Chelsea (London) - visited

I visited London last week for the first time and feel that the environment is perfect for art students because of the amount of galleries and events which go on? But I am also moving from a very small town and not sure what living in such a busy, huge city is like. But then again the buzz and the opportunities are fantastic. But will I settle and ever feel comfortable? Will I find a relaxing environment within this hectic city?

I am probably overthinking everything. I really want to make the right choice. And the clock is ticking. And I honestly feel like I’m going crazy with all this research ...

If anyone reads this, thank you! It is long... and please comment any thoughts, opinions, advice, and/or share some of your experiences or situations.

Thank you!
I believe that studying in the big city like London is a good idea, especially for people from small towns. And if you are interested in arts, you can visit a lot of different museums and galleries there too. About rankings you can check some of these: THE World University Rankings 2019 results, Times Higher Education World University Rankings, QS World University Rankings etc.

Valeriia
Original post by bigana
I feel as if I’m the only one struggling this much to choose where I want to study?!

My Alevel grades are: Art A*, photography A*, Technology C. And I’m currently undertaking an art and design foundation course.

Im applying for BA fine art

I don’t know how important rankings and stats are. But from all the research ( which I have been collecting for months from uni websites, uni stats, the guardian, YouTube, this app, and many others) and from visiting some of these universities, I have come down to these options:
Which are not in any specific order

Goldsmiths (London) - visited
Huddersfield - visited
Kingston (London)
Slade (London)
Bath spa
Bournemouth - visited
Chelsea (London) - visited

I visited London last week for the first time and feel that the environment is perfect for art students because of the amount of galleries and events which go on? But I am also moving from a very small town and not sure what living in such a busy, huge city is like. But then again the buzz and the opportunities are fantastic. But will I settle and ever feel comfortable? Will I find a relaxing environment within this hectic city?

I am probably overthinking everything. I really want to make the right choice. And the clock is ticking. And I honestly feel like I’m going crazy with all this research ...

If anyone reads this, thank you! It is long... and please comment any thoughts, opinions, advice, and/or share some of your experiences or situations.

Thank you!

Hello,

My name’s Abbi, I’m the Student Rep for the University of Huddersfield and I’d like to start by saying: you are not the only one struggling to choose where to study! It took me ageeessss before I settled on my uni.

With regard to Huddersfield, I have to tell you it’s a hidden gem! It’s not big but it has everything you need and that’s the best thing about it - we have museums, galleries, cinemas and theatres and incredible transport links to places like Leeds, Manchester, Wakefield, Sheffield and little arty towns such as Hebden Bridge. We’re surrounded by beautiful countryside as well and the town has some incredible architecture which photographs beautifully. We also have a thriving local music and poetry/spoken word scene embedded in the town and there’s also so many local festivals for literature, food, art and music.

Because the uni is small, you get so attention from lecturers and tutors and the relationships are so strong because they have the time and the classes are kept small to encourage interconnection. The uni invests in its students and gives you holistic degrees whic prepare you for a career in whatever industry you choose - and supports its graduates for as long as they need it. The uni is also constantly updating the campus and the equipment so the students get to learn on the best.

Honestly, I looked at a lot of uni’s but coming here and being surrounded by all of this has given me the opportunity to create so much more, without overwhelming me. Also, it’s so much cheaper to live here 😉

Hope that helps, but if you have any questions - please feel free to ask!

Abbi

Student Rep, University of Huddersfield
Reply 3
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hello,

My name’s Abbi, I’m the Student Rep for the University of Huddersfield and I’d like to start by saying: you are not the only one struggling to choose where to study! It took me ageeessss before I settled on my uni.

With regard to Huddersfield, I have to tell you it’s a hidden gem! It’s not big but it has everything you need and that’s the best thing about it - we have museums, galleries, cinemas and theatres and incredible transport links to places like Leeds, Manchester, Wakefield, Sheffield and little arty towns such as Hebden Bridge. We’re surrounded by beautiful countryside as well and the town has some incredible architecture which photographs beautifully. We also have a thriving local music and poetry/spoken word scene embedded in the town and there’s also so many local festivals for literature, food, art and music.

Because the uni is small, you get so attention from lecturers and tutors and the relationships are so strong because they have the time and the classes are kept small to encourage interconnection. The uni invests in its students and gives you holistic degrees whic prepare you for a career in whatever industry you choose - and supports its graduates for as long as they need it. The uni is also constantly updating the campus and the equipment so the students get to learn on the best.

Honestly, I looked at a lot of uni’s but coming here and being surrounded by all of this has given me the opportunity to create so much more, without overwhelming me. Also, it’s so much cheaper to live here 😉

Hope that helps, but if you have any questions - please feel free to ask!

Abbi

Student Rep, University of Huddersfield

Thank you Abbi!
Haha it sure is cheaper! 😂
Huddersfield has defiantly got something special, it’s still on my mind.
Reply 4
Personally, i would ask: "What do you plan to do with your degree - i.e. what profession or career are you preparing yourself for. The second question i would ask is: "Can you support yourself with this degree: i.e. will you earn enough to get a place to live & adequate food. Those would 'trump' any other questions for me. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest