The NUS is predicted to go bankrupt in April - do you care? Watch

Poll: Do you care if the NUS goes bankrupt?
Yes (31)
27.43%
No (82)
72.57%
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Full article here: https://inews.co.uk/news/education/n...ing-overdraft/
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not even a little bit.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
NUS is a joke - good riddance.
She-Ra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Not even a little bit.
Do you mind if I ask why?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
Do you mind if I ask why?
1. I'm no longer a student.
2. When I was a student, the Union was nothing but a source of embarrassment, bluster, and painfully stupid people given power because of popularity contests - who then stopped things simply because they didn't like them, or didn't like the people doing them.
Last edited by Drewski; 1 year ago
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To the majority of students, NUS has always been a discount card and nothing more. While the union does some other useful work which will undoubtedly face disruption if NUS folds, I don't see this having any major long-term impact. Unis themselves ought to be able to plug the gap, after all they're charging students enough to run the gig in the first place.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
To the majority of students, NUS has always been a discount card and nothing more.
Not even that anymore since all the good deals left for stricter providers like Unidays; all the non-students on HUKD were signing up for NUS cards under dodgy course names!
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was a member when younger, but lost the rag last year

Massive lecturer strikes in Scotland (2nd year running) at the point where students have missed weeks of teaching/feedback ect and the colleges are quietly admitting people may not get their qualifications (I was a rep at the meeting) ...and NUS Scotland comes out with a statement in support of...the lecturers? I don't mean one trying to show both sides or a bit of solidarity, I mean clearly backing the staff, the problems and dangers faced by the students literally weren't even addressed by the union supposedly representing them*. As a student, what the hell were you supposed to make of that? Lecturers HAVE a union, I think they have several, WTF did the NUS need to weigh in on their side as well?

*- This v likely wasn't their ONLY statement or material on the matter, but it was their flagship public one, and it read like a huge dismissive bawkick to students, I knew the President when we were a bit younger and I wish I could say I was surprised. :/
muthalganesan18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. The state of student politics and the constant support for Labour despite tensions within the South Asian communtiy - good riddance.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s unfortunate. I am not a fan of the NUS but they do provide support and training to student unions that is pretty important.

Making SU more reliant on their universities for funding, training and support is not a great idea long term. The SU is supposed to offer a proper balance against unfair or bad behaviour by a university.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. Couldn’t care less, even if I am a student.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dont care, only thing ive heard about NUS is discounts and dont even use that because i never go to clothes shops/eat out etc
She-Ra
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
It’s unfortunate. I am not a fan of the NUS but they do provide support and training to student unions that is pretty important.

Making SU more reliant on their universities for funding, training and support is not a great idea long term. The SU is supposed to offer a proper balance against unfair or bad behaviour by a university.
I completely agree with you. But the NUS have always been really bad at telling people what they actually do and resonating with the average student.
Lots of students don’t know their purpose and don’t see them doing anything proactive to help them.
If you’re an insider in the SU you know, everyone else is clueless.
She-Ra
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Dont care, only thing ive heard about NUS is discounts
I think lots of students would agree with you
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Had only ever used it for the discount but Unidays is much better these days. To be honest I think students are pretty good at organising themselves if they have something they want to bring to attention, so a union doesn't really feel that necessary.
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My only interactions with them on a professional level haven't been great, so not that surprised at the news.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Dont care, only thing ive heard about NUS is discounts and dont even use that because i never go to clothes shops/eat out etc
i will give you a 25% discount luv

:tong:
CelaenSardothien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I brought a 3 year NUS card which expires in 2021? Does that mean I wasted the other 2 year worth of money?
iodo345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
don't know don't care
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
RIP that card nobody even uses anymore
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (60)
32.09%
No I don't (91)
48.66%
I work during the holidays (36)
19.25%

Watched Threads