What's the point of Clare's Law? Watch

ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Clare's Law is a law that permits people (and friends/relatives of that person) to request information from the police about a potentially abusive partner, and also permits the police to disclose that information if they see fit without it needing to be requested. It was introduced by May back when she was Home Secretary in response to Clare Wood being set on fire and killed by her ex-boyfriend George Appleton, who had a history of violence against women as well as her post-breakup.

Apart from the apparent mismatch of the law and Wood's death - presumably she'd have dumped him sooner and then he'd have killed her sooner because the Law says nothing about the cops protecting potential victims - how does it actually help anything? I think it highlights two flaws if it is used, one with the legal system and the other with the relationship in question.

Firstly, if you have reason to suspect your partner is abusive, you already need to get out. You don't wait around for the police to tell you s/he (yes, despite the misleading name, it's available to men to ask about their partners' histories too) has a history of beating up their partners. You even don't need to wait around to be told they haven't attacked anyone yet, if you have reason to believe they are abusive. What you really need is protection if they go nuts when you dump them, though really you'd need protection until they found another potential victim, and the cops would then tell them to dump the criminal and so on and so on.

Secondly, the fact that the law acknowledges past crimes are still relevant to the extent that people's lives depend on it is an admission the prison sentence/rehab/whatever is grossly insufficient. The point of Clare's law is to try and save people's lives - this means the police have identified potential murderers, who already have violent histories that have not been resolved. The fact that Clare's Law exists is proof the legal system is not fit for purpose because we certainly should not be releasing criminals confident that they'll kill someone else. It's effectively saying "Yeah, we know this guy brutalises people and will do so in future, we haven't really bothered rehabilitating his character so we'll just point him out to you as someone to stay away from when we release him" - madness. And again, there's no provision for properly protecting the dumper from the dumpee.

I think there is scope for the friends and relatives to use it to convince someone so smitten by love they can't see someone's true character. But the rest of it seems pretty useless to me, even if very well intentioned.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm well aware of Clare;s Law and I'm with you on this. If I do suspect my partner is abusive, there's no way on earth I'd stay with them. I'd get the hell out of there even before I considered going to the police.

All the police records do is (I've had similar discussions over CRB / DSB checks) show what they've been convicted of. I'm sure there are many people out there who are abusive who haven't been caught yet.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Clares law and most CRB / DSB checks are not fit for purpose and should be struck out for breaching various data protection laws.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
68.24%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
18.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.51%

Watched Threads