The Student Room Group

How do I tie my IELTS to my UCAS application?

I'm not a native speaker so I have to do IELTS. I get my results tomorrow.

I'm wondering how do I let universities know that I have done IELTS? In UCAS there's an optional section that lets you add your IELTS TRF (Test Report Form) number. Is this enough?

I know when you do IELTS you have the option to send your results to 5 different universities, but I chose not to since I haven't finalised my choice of universities. Is this going to be a problem?
You can add your IELTS number to UCAS by putting it in the required field, that’s all they need. All of your chosen universities will get the same data from ucas, disregarding the date of application. It’s not a problem if you don’t send them the info through IELTS services, as everything is online anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by feherbalint
You can add your IELTS number to UCAS by putting it in the required field, that’s all they need. All of your chosen universities will get the same data from ucas, disregarding the date of application. It’s not a problem if you don’t send them the info through IELTS services, as everything is online anyway.

Thank you. Is that how you added your IELTS? TRF only and no physical copy?
Original post by Xanimede
Thank you. Is that how you added your IELTS? TRF only and no physical copy?

Yep :smile:
Reply 4

I'm wondering how do I let universities know that I have done IELTS? In UCAS there's an optional section that lets you add your IELTS TRF (Test Report Form) number. Is this enough?

I know when you do IELTS you have the option to send your results to 5 different universities, but I chose not to since I haven't finalised my choice of universities. Is this going to be a problem?

As an extra send your results directly to university by email.

You need to add your TRF in the appropriate box

AND

You MUST include your IELTS results (or pending results) as a qualification in the Education section.
Original post by HPAG
As an extra send your results directly to university by email.

No, you would only do this if you obtained your TRF number after applying. Don't email otherwise, it's a waste of everyone's time.

As above, the OP just needs to input their TRF number is the corresponding field in their UCAS application AND list it as a pending/achieved qual.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
No, you would only do this if you obtained your TRF number after applying. Don't email otherwise, it's a waste of everyone's time.

As above, the OP just needs to input their TRF number is the corresponding field in their UCAS application AND list it as a pending/achieved qual.

My daughter emailed on receiving offer 2019 admission. Universities acknowledged and said they would add to records.
Original post by HPAG
My daughter emailed on receiving offer 2019 admission. Universities acknowledged and said they would add to records.

If your daughter included her TRF number in her application then they were just being polite and acknowledging her email It wasn’t required and they didn’t do anything with it, her results were verified online with the info she’d already given.

The advice being given to the OP is where to include this info when submitting their UCAS application, not verifying their results post-offer.
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
If your daughter included her TRF number in her application then they were just being polite and acknowledging her email It wasn’t required and they didn’t do anything with it, her results were verified online with the info she’d already given.

The advice being given to the OP is where to include this info when submitting their UCAS application, not verifying their results post-offer.

Pls see attached email received from one university. IELTS asks which universities to send results to. At that point, same as for OP, universities had not been decided. From the date of email it seems it was closing date for applications not after offers. For an international applicant any delays caused by any reason delays CAS thereby visa. I recommend OP sends IELTS. Nothing lost.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by HPAG
Pls see email received from one university. IELTS asks which universities to send results to. At that point same as for OP universities had not been decided. For an international applicant any delays caused by any reason delays CAS thereby visa. I recommend OP sends IELTS. Nothing lost.

OP is getting their IELTS results today and is applying for 2020 entry. There’s no issue with delays to their CAS.

An applicant doesn’t need to list their universities with ielts for a university to verify their results. Providing their TRF and listing the ielts in their education section is enough for a university to verify the results (and IF there is a problem with that then sending through ielts results would be included as a condition within any offer).

Please don’t encourage people who don’t even have an offer yet to spam up admissions inboxes with emails of ielts results that aren’t necessary.

Both myself and @Admit-One work in university admissions. We’re not making this up. Your experience as a parent of an applicant with a single university late in the cycle does not give you an insight into how we deal with ielts results.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
OP is getting their IELTS results today and is applying for 2020 entry. There’s no issue with delays to their CAS.

An applicant doesn’t need to list their universities with ielts for a university to verify their results. Providing their TRF and listing the ielts in their education section is enough for a university to verify the results (and IF there is a problem with that then sending through ielts results would be included as a condition within any offer).

Please don’t encourage people who don’t even have an offer yet to spam up admissions inboxes with emails of ielts results that aren’t necessary.

Both myself and @Admit-One work in university admissions. We’re not making this up. Your experience as a parent of an applicant with a single university late in the cycle does not give you an insight into how we deal with ielts results.

Since you and Admit-one are in university admissions I guess you are right about your universities requirements.

Just wondering does your university offer medicine ? What if the university the OP is applying to is the one university like the one I posted that is going to ask for the results. And I'm sure there was one more university that was "polite" and added the information to the records.

There was no need to be aggressive. I made a recommendation based on my best knowledge. If you feel your information is better just post it giving reasons. Reader can decide what to do. I am grateful for the help I got from posters like GANFYD and MEDDAD when my daughter was applying. Just passing it on.

We are going off topic so will not take this discussion further.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest