International Student want to do a PHD in UK Watch

DanieltheGreat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
International Student want to do a PHD in UK how is the best way to get this financed
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I've moved your thread to postgraduate applications

I believe research council funding (the usual source of funding for home students) is quite limited for international students, although I think there are some opportunities for funded studentships (particularly if you are an EU student, currently - Brexit may change that however). Beyond that some universities will have internal funding opportunities and there are some external organisations you can apply to (such as the Gates Foundation and Fullbright Commission) depending on your background. These tend to be few in number and very competitive as I understand though...

Outside of that it would be looking at funding from your countries government to do a PhD abroad (usually with the expectation that you return to work there); I'm not sure the extent of these schemes or where they are offered however. There is also self funding as an option but this is very expensive. Some universities allow part time PhDs, which can help you spread the cost if self funding, or allow a one year interruption to work (usually in some capacity related to the PhD) and earn some money towards it after being accepted (although usually they'll expect you to demonstrate you can pay for at least some part of the course, if not have all the funds ready before starting).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads