Studying sociology, unable to attempt questions Watch

trainer_magenta
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm studying As level sociology and have never studied it in O levels. Can anyone tell me how to answer essay questions and also others. I'm able to write but I somewhat put unnecessary information or that's not related to the question at all. How would I know exactly what to write?
Retten
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are there past papers/mark schemes? Maybe a specification made by your exam board?
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely look at past papers.

Are you asking for help on what to write or how to structure your answer?
trainer_magenta
Rep:
?
(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
Definitely look at past papers.

Are you asking for help on what to write or how to structure your answer?
how to structure questions.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by trainer_magenta)
how to structure questions.
Google "how to structure sociology essay".

Lots of good answers including YouTube videos
Last edited by beautifulbigmacs; 1 year ago
nintysixthousand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im not sure what exam board your on but AQA has examiner reports with example essays and what makes them good/bad. https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/soci...ment-resources

I also found textbook and revision guides helpful as most of them have sections where they show how to structure and essay and make it a high grade!
these are the ones i used!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/REVISE-leve...iology+a+level
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredire...getName=sp_btf
emilylgr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really struggle with this too! I’m doing A2 sociology and I’m still not sure how to do it, got a C in AS
trainer_magenta
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilylgr)
I really struggle with this too! I’m doing A2 sociology and I’m still not sure how to do it, got a C in AS
we're both in the same boat i guesss 😅
bwilliams
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by trainer_magenta)
I'm studying As level sociology and have never studied it in O levels. Can anyone tell me how to answer essay questions and also others. I'm able to write but I somewhat put unnecessary information or that's not related to the question at all. How would I know exactly what to write?
When writing essay questions in sociology they need to link to the question throughout, although you will need to explore different view points (more so at A2) you will need to refer back to the question. My top tip for this is to read back a paragraph after you write it and think, have I answered the question? Round every paragraph off with a short sentence that summaraises why what you just wrote is relevant to the question so the examiner cannot get confused, because they will.

When structuring the actual essay, always write a plan (even in the exam). Yes, it is time consuming but will save you more time when you are actually writing.

Start your essay with an introduction - very short but just introduce what you are saying and link it to the question. Then I suggest you pick four themes to address in the long essay questions or three if they are large (each theme will be two paragraphs). Then choose two contrasting views for you to analyse on that theme. Viewpoint 1 will be your first paragraph, then viewpoint 2 your second paragraph. Then move to the next theme and do the same. Then end your essay with a conclusion - short but meaningful! Do not just say what you have said above in your essay as that is completelty pointless but so many people advise students to do it. Summarise your discussion and then justify where your discussion has come to - and where potentially it could go next if you had more time.

Reading my post back I have not written this very well and it is a bit confusing so I have attached a plan of a sociology A2 essay to demo and please feel free to PM me with any questions.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (148)
52.11%
No (136)
47.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise