Boyfriend makes me cringe?! Watch

Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by WhatIsLife1)
Yeesh. There’s a difference between cringing at someone saying they love them, in an albeit interesting way, and abuse.

Accidentally making someone cringe does not equal disrespect. Chill out goddamn.
However she did tell him that she doesn't like it and he said that she's should get use to it, that is disrespectful - you have to talk it out rather than dismiss it
Dee Dom.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You don't mention your age which may be a young inexperienced issue.
Or perhaps you really don't have a serious affection towards him. Are you in it for the experience?
Again, age plays into this and it's difficult to sort out in your head. Spend some time alone and listen to your true feelings. Write them down.
Seeing it in black & white often opens one's eyes.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
eugh. you're gonna make a nice guy feel bad for being affectionate, and if u guys break up he'll go to next girl all hard and cold and then she'll scream men aint ****. girls like u start this you know. you should get in a relationship when you're ready rather then mentally abuse a nice kid.
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I've been with this guy for almost a month now, and we get along really well...he's funny, sweet, kind, we have pretty similar interests...
only problem is, every time he says something trying to be cute, romantic, complimentary, etc, I cringe SO hard! I can't stand it, and I end up saying something rude, pushing him away, ignoring him, rejecting him, changing th subject etc....

Examples:
'I love talking to you'
'you are so gorgeous'
'I really ****ing like you'
**** like that... over text and in real life

also he keeps trying to kiss the top of my head and snuggle with me which makes me cringe and lean away from him too, and I hate PDA (other than hugging). I have told him that I don't like that 'cutesy' verbal and touchy stuff so many times but he told me it's a part of his personality so I'll have to 'get used to it.'

I have been assaulted badly in the past so this may be a part of my trauma, but I just wanna know...

Is his cringy behaviour normal? Should I take it as a compliment? And am I weird for NOT wanting my boyfriend to act like this? Any advice?
I'm a 17 year old girl btw, no serious relationships in the past.

(yes, I do wanna do sexual 'stuff' with him, and I can be a physical person, it's just the cringey stuff I cannot tolerate)

Thank you!
ObedientBeliever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My friends say I'm cringey? Lol everyone has different expressions with people.Cringy is like a habit that needs to be lowed down.
Xopher_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Quality
Vennccc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Cant lie i was like this n my first relationship. My gf was exactly the same we broke up then i looked at my msgs and tealised how cringy i was being. While hes in the relationship realising its wrong and cringy is hard and probably impossible. I’m sorry but i dont think hr can change and why would it be you the one yhat has to change?
Kercmaher
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
literally couldnt relate more. reckon im lesbian hahahhahhahahhaha
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
He's clingy (and perhaps also cringy indeed), but you're overreacting as a result of your traumatic experience.
Invictus7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
So I've been with this guy for almost a month now, and we get along really well...he's funny, sweet, kind, we have pretty similar interests...
only problem is, every time he says something trying to be cute, romantic, complimentary, etc, I cringe SO hard! I can't stand it, and I end up saying something rude, pushing him away, ignoring him, rejecting him, changing th subject etc....

Examples:
'I love talking to you'
'you are so gorgeous'

also he keeps trying to kiss the top of my head and snuggle with me which makes me cringe and lean away from him too, and I hate PDA (other than hugging). I have told him that I don't like that 'cutesy' verbal and touchy stuff so many times but he told me it's a part of his personality so I'll have to 'get used to it.'

I have been assaulted badly in the past so this may be a part of my trauma, but I just wanna know...

Is his cringy behaviour normal? Should I take it as a compliment? And am I weird for NOT wanting my boyfriend to act like this? Any advice?

(yes, I do wanna do sexual 'stuff' with him, and I can be a physical person, it's just the cringey stuff I cannot tolerate)

Thank you!
If you feel awkward about your boyfriend trying to be cute or loving then either you don't love him back as much as he loves you or the way you want to be loved is not like that. Hence you probably should call it quits because you guys don't seem compatible and you shouldn't lead each other on cause it will just hurt more down the line
saharan_skies
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
i think its okay to feel like this to be truthful. There's something called 'Love Languages' that kind of shows how people have different ways to show and reciprocate love or affection. There's nothing wrong with feeling awkward about it! Maybe your love language just doesn't match up to his. It doesn't mean that it won't work out, it just means you both might have adjusting to do.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I mean if it is truly how he is and he is no putting anything on in any way is it going to be a deal breaker for you? I mean making someone change who they are, to get rid of those little kinks for someone else, is that truly what you want? I feel if he does that then he is not himself and something will always be off in your relationship.
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
problem lies with you, not him
MrMusician95
Report 10 months ago
You're 17. That explains it.
emzieizbel
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I haven't dated before, but the whole idea of being in a relationship makes me cringe. I feel weird and even if I like you and you propose, I don't have the confidence to say yes. It makes me have this awful weird feeling. I'm 17.
Anonymous #5
Report 10 months ago
I hope whoever assaulted you gets raped in prison. That is if he is in prison and if hes not you need to do something about it.

Sounds like you two arent really compatible... The guy sounds like an idiot who cant read peoples emotions and from my experience when i like someone a lot all their flaws just make me like them even more which isnt really happening here.
Jakal01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Me and the girl I was with last had a very similar problem. What I recommend is to tell him that when you need space, you NEED space. Tell him when you say stop you mean stop even if you are joking. This is what worked for me and I hope it can work for you
Anonymous #6
Report 10 months ago

Examples:
'I love talking to you'
'you are so gorgeous'

Thank you!
Your not a match - move on. Wait for someone that doesn’t make you cringe, it will not go away.
Quixote.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Guess it depends what kind of person he is and how he's saying these things. If I told my girlfriend that I love talking to her, or I kissed her forehead, she would not find it cringey at all, and vice versa.

If it's quite forced and obvious, then yeah I guess it could be cringey, but tbh, if you really like somebody then there's probably not a lot that they could do to make you cringe. Decent couples tend to be on the same wavelength with stuff like that.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
When you're 17, you just end up going out with people cos they're around. Usually you're desperate to play grown-ups and you have not been heavily selective in choosing who you're gonna share the pretence with. Hence, you end up with people who annoy you. When you become an adult, you tend to wait till you find someone who is actually compatible and who commands your respect.

That's really what comes to my mind. If you were older, and this relationship were not just childish fumblings, I might put it down to the "tream 'em mean" gene which plenty of adult ladies have.
akidd0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That behavior is definitely not cringey, in fact it’s completely normal... Must have to due with your trauma
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads