Is it possible to improve at both sprinting and long distance?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im in my 30's female and have trained with athletics for years on and off but never trained properly to be honest I just enjoy it plus it keeps me fit and in shape. Id like to train properly say 5 times a week but for years Ive kept swapping goals as i cant make my mind up what to actually train for! Im not brilliant at any type of running if im honest, maybe cause im inly 5ft but as i said just enjoy it. I enjoy sprinting and building muscle. I feel good when i fee fast and strong.

So its sprinting which i enjoy and im best at (im powerful but no good at endurance) but theres a bit of a problem with training for sprinting. Firstly very few adults seem to compete in 100 and 200m sprinting at amateur level, theres the odd meet twice a year thats it. The sprint training groups consist of children. No one my age at my club or surrounding clubs train at sprinting. When I do enter competitions i tend to be the oldest one there and come last, so theres no competition for me at my level or age.

Therefore I was thinking of just training for 5k instead as millions of adults train for this distance. People say im not built for distance though, ive more power/speed than stamina and when i start training for distance i miss the speed training. I thought about training for both sprinting and 5k but its completely different training and I dont know if i could improve at both silmutaneously. I Just wanted advice. Ive been switching from sprint to distance training for years i just need a clear goal and to stick to it.
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to Fitness, you are more likely to get advice here.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Older people are better at long distance endurance running
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.52%
I'm not sure (46)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.6%
I have already dropped out (28)
2.66%
I'm not a current university student (515)
48.86%

Watched Threads