The Student Room Group

I’ve applied for an English Literature course but I think I want to be a Paramedic?

So you’re probably thinking why the **** have you applied for an English Literature degree if you want to be a Paramedic?

First of all, I got C’s in mathematics and all sciences at GCSE and therefore haven’t took them at A-Level, nor did I have any intention of doing so.

However, I’ve just really been thinking lately about being a Paramedic and going down that route in terms of a career. I can’t apply for a Paramedic Science course now with me having my offers back and everything but I’ve been looking at other alternatives; I know I could do my English degree and then get my Bachelors and then do a second completely separate degree in Paramedic Science but that wouldn’t be funded by Student Finance and therefore would cost me a lot of money and put me into further debt. So, I was looking at going down a route without a degree.

I’ve seen options such as applying directly to the ambulance service as a trainee paramedic but I’m just wanting any advice or ideas or knowledge about this or any other options open to me?? I don’t know what I’m doing lmao but anything would be helpful
Reply 1
Original post by emilymayyy
So you’re probably thinking why the **** have you applied for an English Literature degree if you want to be a Paramedic?

First of all, I got C’s in mathematics and all sciences at GCSE and therefore haven’t took them at A-Level, nor did I have any intention of doing so.

However, I’ve just really been thinking lately about being a Paramedic and going down that route in terms of a career. I can’t apply for a Paramedic Science course now with me having my offers back and everything but I’ve been looking at other alternatives; I know I could do my English degree and then get my Bachelors and then do a second completely separate degree in Paramedic Science but that wouldn’t be funded by Student Finance and therefore would cost me a lot of money and put me into further debt. So, I was looking at going down a route without a degree.

I’ve seen options such as applying directly to the ambulance service as a trainee paramedic but I’m just wanting any advice or ideas or knowledge about this or any other options open to me?? I don’t know what I’m doing lmao but anything would be helpful

Hi,

I think your main options are either a degree in Paramedic Science or applying to a trust directly as a Student Paramedic as you’ve said.

BCU is an example uni offering Paramedic science and need 120 UCAS points (roughly BBB) and an A level in a science e.g. bio/chem/physics/psychology/applied science/social science. You can do a foundation year at BCU to lead into Paramedic Science where the UCAS point offer is 88 but still need one of those A levels or a BTEC equivalent.

Some unis may accept any science based foundation year course in lieu of a science A level though, it’s worth researching all of them thoroughly and their entry requirements, and ringing the admissions department to clarify your position.

Applying to a trust, they’ll ask for a driving licence, 5 GCSEs including maths, English and sciences to a C grade but it’s competitive to get a position so lots of applications probably have at least one science A level or better than the minimum entry requirements.

Either way, you need to do lots of research, websites like healthcareers.nhs.uk are a good place to start for info. Just have a google for Paramedic Science without science A levels and go from there. You’ll also need work experience in a health care setting and possibly volunteering over a longer period to show commitment to the profession and a serious long term interest. If you’re serious about this, it’s best to hold your offers for now, and then come results day, decide what to do. A gap year is a much better option imo than doing a degree half-arsed because your heart isn’t in it, and then spending a lot of money on a degree you actually want. Good luck whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 2
thank you so much x

Quick Reply

Latest