Can I get money off rent for "broken" house?

Watch
mklip
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I live in a house with 4 other people. We have 2 showers, which one of them is constantly leaking and our Landlord came over 10 times already and tried to fix it but he still did not manage to fix the leaks, so for the past 3 months we paid for a 5 bed house with 2 bathrooms but only one working.

Is there a way to get money off rent because of the unfixed issue ?
We are renting the house as a group through an agency.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unlikely.
You could notify the local council so they can inspect and order the landlord/agents to get repairs done.
username4003948
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, unfortunately not. I used to work in a council housing department, so I know a little (though I'm no expert and laws have probably changed a little in the 2 years since I left that hellhole) about housing law. My job also involved working with the 'private sector housing team', who do things like pressuring landlords into dealing with disrepair issues and installing proper fire safety measures, if those are absent from their properties.

In short, no, you can't have your rent reduced. Your tenancy is a legally binding contract which you'll have signed, agreeing to pay the full amount of rent on the agreed date each month. That applies regardless, unless for some reason the landlord or agent went out of their way to write in an extra clause that you're entitled to a rent reduction in such circumstances. I'd bet my left arm that your tenancy contains no such clause.

There's not really much you can do except keep harassing the managing agents and the landlord (both, because agents are usually as useful as a chocolate teapot and landlords are often not much better). If it's seriously been broken for three months and the landlord has been aware for some time but not fixed it, you could complain to your local council. It won't help get the bathroom fixed any sooner though.

They'll put you on a waiting list for an officer to come and inspect the property. Chances are it'll have been fixed before they can inspect the house. Otherwise, after the inspection they'll start harassing your landlord to sort it out. Worst comes to worst, they might (but almost definitely won't) serve an improvement notice - telling the landlord they have to sort it out within x amount of time or there'll be legal trouble. However, if there is heating in the house, there is at least 1 working bathroom and you can get hot water (even if you have to boil a kettle) - they won't do sh*t.

I used to sit with the private sector housing officers and one of my many tasks was managing their waiting list, prioritising the property complaints based on whether they represented any immediate safety/health hazard.
Last edited by username4003948; 2 years ago
mklip
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by insouciancedward)
No, unfortunately not. I used to work in a council housing department, so I know a little (though I'm no expert and laws have probably changed a little in the 2 years since I left that hellhole) about housing law. My job also involved working with the 'private sector housing team', who do things like pressuring landlords into dealing with disrepair issues and installing proper fire safety measures, if those are absent from their properties.

In short, no, you can't have your rent reduced. Your tenancy is a legally binding contract which you'll have signed, agreeing to pay the full amount of rent on the agreed date each month. That applies regardless, unless for some reason the landlord or agent went out of their way to write in an extra clause that you're entitled to a rent reduction in such circumstances. I'd bet my left arm that your tenancy contains no such clause.

There's not really much you can do except keep harassing the managing agents and the landlord (both, because agents are usually as useful as a chocolate teapot and landlords are often not much better). If it's seriously been broken for three months and the landlord has been aware for some time but not fixed it, you could complain to your local council. It won't help get the bathroom fixed any sooner though.

They'll put you on a waiting list for an officer to come and inspect the property. Chances are it'll have been fixed before they can inspect the house. Otherwise, after the inspection they'll start harassing your landlord to sort it out. Worst comes to worst, they might (but almost definitely won't) serve an improvement notice - telling the landlord they have to sort it out within x amount of time or there'll be legal trouble. However, if there is heating in the house, there is at least 1 working bathroom and you can get hot water (even if you have to boil a kettle) - they won't do sh*t.

I used to sit with the private sector housing officers and one of my many tasks was managing their waiting list, prioritising the property complaints based on whether they represented any immediate safety/health hazard.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to keep nagging at him to fix it properly.
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When you say leaking what do you mean? Where from?
You better not say "It leaks whenever I turn it on.."

Seriously though if the shower is still usable and is not dangerous and you have notified the landlord ideally in writing/email/text then don't worry about it.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, both the landlords, agents, and companies they send over to fix them are all deliberately useless. I've had stove issues (gas constantly on ignition setting so it clicks when on and flickers occasionally) I've had bathroom errors re-booked (we requested both our bathrooms be fixed but the plumber was booked to do two separate appointments, two days apart to review if the repairs were needed, then to rebook two later appointments to fix one each) and my favourite is faulty wiring in a lighting fixture. In that case an electrician came by, replaced the light blub and left noting that that was the problem. He hadn't even flicked on the light switch (otherwise he'd have noticed it was off on both settings)
Manunited1955
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am seeking to become a Landlord......so I have a lot to learn about 'both sides of the fence'I agree with the comment -you cannot get rent reduced, butContact Citizen's advice.....or I'm sure I glanced at something on GOV.CO.UK (website), where a Tenanttook the Landlord to court over non-repairs, and the Landlord was ORDERED to Repair the problem.I cannot remember-exactly what happened-but believe the Court awarded the Tenant monies ??????So, Citizen's advice are WORTH a call or Appointment.I'm 95% sure this is accurate.good luck
Reeko_86
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mklip)
I live in a house with 4 other people. We have 2 showers, which one of them is constantly leaking and our Landlord came over 10 times already and tried to fix it but he still did not manage to fix the leaks, so for the past 3 months we paid for a 5 bed house with 2 bathrooms but only one working.

Is there a way to get money off rent because of the unfixed issue ?
We are renting the house as a group through an agency.
DO you have a copy of your contract you can send me - I am a landlord and therefore know the ins/outs and what to look for......
anneITV
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I might be able to help.I work for a programme who deals with issues like this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.74%
Uncertainty around my education (87)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.68%
Lack of purpose or motivation (96)
12.82%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.21%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.61%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (81)
10.81%
Financial worries (50)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.27%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.14%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.2%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.48%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (58)
7.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed