Do I capitalise economics (Economics)?

Watch
Hamad_786
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is it economics or Economics? I am getting a mixed response from people and it is really annoying as my personal statement is about economics/Economics. I list a few example sentences (not from my PS, just generic sentences I made up) and you decide whether they should be capitalised or not.
I love studying economics
I think economics is important in this society
I want to continue studying economics at uni
I believe economics is a great subject
I studied economics
Frazzle27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't capitalise science, maths or physics, so why capitalise economics? In my opinion it should be lower case and it makes sense for it to be lower case since it isn't a proper noun.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hamad_786)
I love studying economics
I think economics is important in this society
I want to continue studying economics at uni
I believe economics is a great subject
I studied BSc Economics at Bristol
FIFY.

The subject is economics, the course is Economics.

e.g. At university you study a course called BSc Economics (or BA...) to learn more about economics.
Last edited by Doones; 2 years ago
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In a personal statement, you always capitalise the course. It’s the name of the course - hence in this instance it’s a proper noun, and thus has a capital letter, like the name of a person or a country would.

Your degree certificate will say BSc Economics, not BSc economics.

I applied for History and Politics, and I used the capitalised versions whenever I referred to the subjects in my PS.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Frazzle27)
You don't capitalise science, maths or physics, so why capitalise economics? In my opinion it should be lower case and it makes sense for it to be lower case since it isn't a proper noun.
The subject isn’t a proper noun, but the course is - it’s BSc Economics.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Frazzle27)
Yes you can - compare:
* I got an A in Economics (or Maths)
* I am learning about economics (or maths)
Last edited by Doones; 2 years ago
Hamad_786
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Yes you can - compare:
* I got an A in Economics (or Maths)
* I am learning about economics (or maths)
Thanks for the response, my main concern is if I talk about 'studying economics'. Some people have said capitalise as I am talking about studying it, so it links to the course title but others have said not to capitalise it because it is generally a common noun.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hamad_786)
Thanks for the response, my main concern is if I talk about 'studying economics'. Some people have said capitalise as I am talking about studying it, so it links to the course title but others have said not to capitalise it because it is generally a common noun.
It’s “correct” not to capitalise it (in almost all contects used in a PS). But people capitalise words that they consider important - so you can guarantee that economics academic staff capitalise economics (incorrectly) all the time.

Don’t beat yourself up over this...your place at university will not be affected by it either way. I generally recommend avoiding capitalising subjects (you’re very unlikely to be talking about economics as a proper noun in your PS) - that way you can stay consistent throughout your PS and avoid drawing the eye of the reader (particularly if they’re reading in a rush) to what might not be the most important points of your PS. Capitalising some occurrences and not others isn’t ideal.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
The subject isn’t a proper noun, but the course is - it’s BSc Economics.
A PS isn’t written about a single course. It’s directed toward 5 different economics degrees. In 5 different economics departments at 5 different universities. While they’re proper nouns individually - collectively they’re not.
SkillBill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The science is not, the course is
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads