stress11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What’s harder and why do you find it harder?

Pure or statistics and mechanics

And what takes more time and work?
begbie68
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you're talking about the A-Level spec.
For the first time in years (ever), all of the exam boards are offering very similar specs.

For AS which is essentially 1st year for A2, there's nothing particularly tricky in either pure, or applied.

After learning to handle algebra effectively (incl. trig., logs & exp), and dipping toes into calculus in pure, combined with the vector requirement - all at pure, the processes required in mech are very similar.
Stats could be viewed as just a different set of processes using similar maths, but more of a focus on interpretation.

In y13, most people contend that integration becomes a whole lot more difficult, and perhaps vectors, too.
Making up 2/3 of the syllabus, then, pure is often seen as more difficult. Until recently, this was called CORE (more of a term from the USA), and maybe it is seen as generally more accessible because most teachers are capable & practised at delivering that content.
It's fact that many teachers have traditionally only taught stats, or only taught mech on the applied side.
Now there is a requirement for students to learn both mech AND stats, I think there will be a natural propensity for one of those applied parts to be delivered badly, at least for a while. However, this might not manifest itself obviously until the actual exams/results.
stress11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by begbie68)
I think you're talking about the A-Level spec.
For the first time in years (ever), all of the exam boards are offering very similar specs.

For AS which is essentially 1st year for A2, there's nothing particularly tricky in either pure, or applied.

After learning to handle algebra effectively (incl. trig., logs & exp), and dipping toes into calculus in pure, combined with the vector requirement - all at pure, the processes required in mech are very similar.
Stats could be viewed as just a different set of processes using similar maths, but more of a focus on interpretation.

In y13, most people contend that integration becomes a whole lot more difficult, and perhaps vectors, too.
Making up 2/3 of the syllabus, then, pure is often seen as more difficult. Until recently, this was called CORE (more of a term from the USA), and maybe it is seen as generally more accessible because most teachers are capable & practised at delivering that content.
It's fact that many teachers have traditionally only taught stats, or only taught mech on the applied side.
Now there is a requirement for students to learn both mech AND stats, I think there will be a natural propensity for one of those applied parts to be delivered badly, at least for a while. However, this might not manifest itself obviously until the actual exams/results.
What’s the jump like from maths to further maths? Is it drastic? I’m not naturally ‘talented’ at maths but if I work, I’ll get there and I enjoy it. & also what do you reckon the ‘easiest’ board is
begbie68
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Traditionally, I've found stats less satisfying, and perhaps therefore a little harder than either pure or mech.
I would put this down to semantic idiosyncrasies in the papers, where often just interpreting a single word in a different way than intended creates more difficulty in answering the question
But another reason is I practise stats much less that the other two. I find it repetitive & monotonous, and there is more importance on the minutiae of detail, rather than a skill in manipulating arithmetic &/or algebra.
begbie68
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by stress11)
What’s the jump like from maths to further maths? Is it drastic? I’m not naturally ‘talented’ at maths but if I work, I’ll get there and I enjoy it. & also what do you reckon the ‘easiest’ board is
the relative jump to further is slightly less than the relative jump from GCSE to A-Level.
I've successfully tutored a number of students at A-Level, who had done ZERO further maths until Jan of their Y13, but had practised & mastered virtually all of the A-Level. Most Have gained A / A*, and a couple of B-grades. All but one student gained A* at A-Level.

There is not an 'easiest' board. They are all similar. Students following Edexcel in the past have said they found OCR or AQA past papers more difficult. Those students who follow AQA syllabus have said that Edexcel/OCR are harder, and so on.

MEI is the odd one out. I find it far more idiosyncratic than the others. An easy-to-make example is in stats where they ask students to calculate a standard deviation for a set of data, but they really want the student to find the root mean squared deviation. There are many examples in past papers where direction in the question has only implied a particular requirement for marks. I believe that exams should (by definition) be precise and specific in the demands and nature of the questions posed, with clear/explicit expectations of the response required. Many MEI questions and marks schemes seem to undergo an extra couple of levels of 'obfuscation' than the other boards!

The biggest differences in the boards is in their support of the school & of the candidate in terms of transparency of spec, exams/marking, text books, online & admin advice and info/practice questions & papers.
In terms of ease of use of website, I prefer Edexcel, who also have an amazing wealth of past papers freely and readily available through a dedicated 'emporium'.
Last edited by begbie68; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads