Why isn't St Andrews rated highly internationally? Watch

Omri Porat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have been in love with the location of the university and pretty much anything about the university but my only concern is that it appears to be ranked quite low in international subject rankings especially for Physics (what I want to study). Is there a reason why it isn't as well known as many other universities and is rated lower than them? Is the reason why it is ranked highly in the UK because of the royal family?
I don't want to come across badly I just really love the place and want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks!
znedd1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are looking at QS rankings, I believe that the main reason is due to the size of the university. QS rankings often favour larger universities, which is why you might see Edinburgh or Manchester ranked quite highly worldwide, while being lower on UK league tables.
According to QS, St Andrews is actually the highest rated UK university with <10,000 students. For it to rank in the top 100 overall is actually pretty good.

To be honest though, I wouldn't pay massive attention to rankings. They may be OK as a rough indicator, but you should go to the place you think is best for you.

[Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this subject. This is just what I've gathered from talking to others.]
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Omri Porat)
I have been in love with the location of the university and pretty much anything about the university but my only concern is that it appears to be ranked quite low in international subject rankings especially for Physics (what I want to study). Is there a reason why it isn't as well known as many other universities and is rated lower than them? Is the reason why it is ranked highly in the UK because of the royal family?
I don't want to come across badly I just really love the place and want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thanks!
look at the criteria used in the World rankings and then look at the criteria used in the domestic league tables (Guardian, Complete & Sunday Times) and decide what criteria is most important to you.

the world rankings use things like citations per faculty that will not affect your undergraduate experience one bit
Omri Porat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for the tips
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (11)
8.59%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (13)
10.16%
No, but maybe I will look into it (35)
27.34%
No and I wouldn't consider it (69)
53.91%

Watched Threads