Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thread reminds me of my lit teacher who was explaining to a student how in black rap they use the N-word and i wasn't that offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gent2324)
    you didnt read what you said, you said that the definition hasnt changed, showing me 3 definitions from different sources of todays meaning is irrelevenat, i could show you 3 definitions of what gay means from 3 different sources, doesnt mean its meant homosexual the whole time
    ok,I was wrong.
    But the definition of the words clearly show they are still offensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isiaiah d)
    ok,I was wrong.
    But the definition of the words clearly show they are still offensive
    yes, im not denying that the word isnt offensive to many people, and so are other words but people dont seem to care about a ban on other offensive terms

ReputationRep:
    https://i.gifer.com/FQWY.gif

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Gent2324;80831712]

The reality is the n word is considered too foul to utter by most people, despised by many people and saying it aloud risks creating instant outrage or worse.
    People that utter it gain nothing positive and risk unemployment along with being forever tarred with a toxic reputation.

I doubt the word will ever become socially acceptable or even less inflammatory than it is now.
    The historic link with lynchings, centuries of use by hate criminals, the furious reaction it still generates in 2018.
    Some things just can't be overcome and I suspect this applies to the n word- the roots run too deep, negative sentiments are too strong and the consensus for social rehabilitation just doesn't seem to exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gent2324)
    yes, im not denying that the word isnt offensive to many people, and so are other words but people dont seem to care about a ban on other offensive terms
    no words are banned, if a word is offensive by definition it is generally considered the same by people, most people would also report their teacher for saying other offensive words. It's an old word and is pretty famous which is why people flip out more than maybe hearing the p***** directed towards a Catholic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Fantastic)
    Your only allowed to say it with GAR. The other 2 carry a 5 year prison sentence.
    gar? lol

and 5 yrs, u what?

ReputationRep:
    Why was it ok to speak in an Australian accent but doing a Philippine accent would be rasist?

Once swearing was considered was immoral. Sood only a few "four letter words" where classified as " really bad".
    These days they're all comonlly used everywher, privately and publicly. Not that I approve of this open use of certain words.
    It's not the "word" that should not be spoken. It's the manner inwhich it's used. A word used in a discussion should not be banned more than any other word. It's when using ANY word is used in a aderogatiry manner towards another should be the issue.
    The n-word is basically labeled as " contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person" in the Oxford dictionary. Frequently used between some African-Americans without the negative associations of "******". So why can a person use the words; Sambo, Charlie,Chink, Jap, Nip,Kraut, Nazi or Jerry, Kike, Dothead, Carpet beater, Chicken lips, Slut,Dyke, Fag, Hore, Gringo,Spik, Wetback, Cracker,Peckerwood, Injun, Squaw,Limey, Hillbilly, Redneck. ... the list goes on ond on for every ethnic group that walks the planet. Many used for an isult, some as friendly ribbing. But all have definitions to a particular group depending on statis, religion, past history what ever. Well lets add stupid, moron, ********, again the list is never ending. These also fall into the catagory of an insult, to degrade or devalue a person. We could stand and call each other names all day. Have we nothing better to do? Do we really need to draw attention to our selfs by being an over bearingly arrogant?
    I suppose the whole point is, we all fall into one catagory or another. Kind of makes me believe no one is any better than the another.
    This relentless political correctness needs to stop. It's become so overly sensitive and rediculous. It has caused unnecessary conlicts and divides people.
    One word perhaps we all need to reconize is IGRORE. Definition; refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally. Perhaps a simple smile would deflate the insecure self centered loud mouth.

ReputationRep:
    What he said was very racist.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh u should. He shouldn’t be saying it at all unless it’s for like an actual educating reason
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.