Charlotte9374
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I have my interview for the secondary teaching for computer science course and I was wondering if anyone has already done theirs and could give me some help? I am struggling slightly with the idea of the 5 minute presentation and I am unsure as to what would need to be in that if anyone can help? Thank you!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you been told what the 5 minute presentation has to be on?

If it is completely open ended, why not make a presentation on why you are passionate on teaching computing and what you think you can bring to the classroom? How do you perceive yourself in the classroom and what ideas do you have about teaching computing?
Good luck!
Charlotte9374
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Have you been told what the 5 minute presentation has to be on?

If it is completely open ended, why not make a presentation on why you are passionate on teaching computing and what you think you can bring to the classroom? How do you perceive yourself in the classroom and what ideas do you have about teaching computing?
Good luck!
Yeah sorry I should have added that in it’s “the challenges of becoming a computer science teacher” thank you!
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlotte9374)
Yeah sorry I should have added that in it’s “the challenges of becoming a computer science teacher” thank you!
Ah right. That is easy. The challenges of being a computing teacher are great indeed. On the one had you have industry crying out for computer literate candidates. On the other hands, computing is a necessary distraction to schools as it is required by the national curriculum but is not seen as relevant to education when compared to maths, science and English. The partially accounts for the fact that 50% of secondary schools do not teach GCSE Computer Science. This culture is also ingrained in students who mostly see computing as an irrelevance that gets in the way of those three main subjects.

As for challenges of the job. Computing generally gets one hour of curriculum time a week which means that you might end up teaching 500 students a week (I do) with all the marking that entails. There is also the fact that you never really get to know your students and the nature of computing rooms means that behaviour can be difficult to manage.

I am sure there is 5 minutes worth there! Good luck!
Charlotte9374
Rep:
?
Ah right. That is easy. The challenges of being a computing teacher are great indeed. On the one had you have industry crying out for computer literate candidates. On the other hands, computing is a necessary distraction to schools as it is required by the national curriculum but is not seen as relevant to education when compared to maths, science and English. The partially accounts for the fact that 50% of secondary schools do not teach GCSE Computer Science. This culture is also ingrained in students who mostly see computing as an irrelevance that gets in the way of those three main subjects.

As for challenges of the job. Computing generally gets one hour of curriculum time a week which means that you might end up teaching 500 students a week (I do) with all the marking that entails. There is also the fact that you never really get to know your students and the nature of computing rooms means that behaviour can be difficult to manage.

I am sure there is 5 minutes worth there! Good luck!
Wow! Thank you so much for that it is a lot of help!
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlotte9374)
Wow! Thank you so much for that it is a lot of help!
No worries. Don't let it put you off. Teaching computing is great. Especially GCSE+
Charlotte9374
Rep:
?
No worries. Don't let it put you off. Teaching computing is great. Especially GCSE+
No it certainly won’t! Yeah that is my plan to teach GCSE level I can’t wait
PersianCatLady
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Who are you presenting to, the interview panel or students?
Charlotte9374
Rep:
?
(Original post by PersianCatLady)
Who are you presenting to, the interview panel or students?
It’s the interview panel and the rest of the interviewees
Topteach77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interesting comments. I have been offered place at University - PGCE Computing. I do have concerns about behaviour management, as the children are allowed mobile phones in class....that must a distraction surely????
My Interview, was more detailed than I expected.
1-2 1 interview, then test (test knowledge), then panel of three staff and then a "logical thinking" test with a Computing teacher writing scenarios on the board. It took about 2 hours in total and I had no idea it would be that long and involved.
PGCE is a good course, great training. Not sure, how I long I will stay in secondary sector as I understand that many teachers are leaving due to workload, stress and stress-induced health conditions. I don't want mega stress, so hope to ....move to FE sector after gaining experience in schools.
All the best with your interview!
Charlotte9374
Rep:
?
(Original post by Topteach77)
Interesting comments. I have been offered place at University - PGCE Computing. I do have concerns about behaviour management, as the children are allowed mobile phones in class....that must a distraction surely????
1-2 1 interview, then test (test knowledge), then panel of three staff and then a "logical thinking" test with a Computing teacher writing scenarios on the board. It took about 2 hours in total and I had no idea it would be that long and involved.
PGCE is a good course, great training. Not sure, how I long I will stay in secondary sector as I understand that many teachers are leaving due to workload, stress and stress-induced health conditions. I don't want mega stress, so hope to ....move to FE sector after gaining experience in schools.
Yeah my interview day is fairly similar to that. Seems like it could be a long process. Good luck with which ever pathway you decide!
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
BYOD (Bring your own device) policies in school are a mixed blessing. However, it is easy to fix. On day one of your first lesson you tell the students that they are not permitted to have their phones out in class without your permission. And if they do, they get a sanction. Simple as and S1 standard hit in one fell swoop! Same with gum, water bottles, fiddle spinners, you name it.

Good luck!
Patyrocks5
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
What is the FE sector mentioned above? Thanks
Patyrocks5
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
what is FE sector?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise