The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression is a lie.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Seamus123
OP has come out with this rubbish on other threads. Telling people that depression doesn’t exist and if they need to believe in her Lord Jesus Christ. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so dangerous. There is just no accounting for the stupidity of some people who think that religion is a cure all for everything.

It sounds so stupid and only shows how ignorant she is. I think she forgets that faith without works doesn’t work at all. If you are depressed, just believing in Jesus won’t make you better. You have to believe you can get better and go through the effort rather than hoping God will magically make your depression go away.
(edited 5 years ago)
OP has come out with this rubbish on other threads. Telling people that depression doesn’t exist and if they need to believe in her Lord Jesus Christ. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so dangerous. There is just no accounting for the stupidity of some people who think that religion is a cure all for everything.

*his
Reply 22
Here is a question for all the people on this thread, if some has just attempted to kill themselves, what should you say to them?
Original post by Clockrice
Here is a question for all the people on this thread, if some has just attempted to kill themselves, what should you say to them?

Just go away.

If you haven't got anything nice to say. Say nothing. Ignorance is no reason for arrogance.
Depression is a lie, it is something created to keep people from understand their sadness. When people say they are depressed it is very difficult for other people to understand what the hell that means and it is a practical not emotional thing. What people should internalize is that you are sad or you have sadness weighting you down emotionally. Saying you are depressed doesn't help anyone, if you tell your family you are depressed they won't understand, if you say you are feeling sad or sadness, they will have a more emotional reaction and you will feel that emotionally. The word depression and the idea of depression is a lie and it needs to be done away with. It doesn't help anyone.

Depression isn't just sadness though. From my personal experience, depression is complete numbness and emptiness. Your emotions are dulled when you're depressed, it's difficult to feel anything at all. Reducing depression to just sadness doesn't explain it. There's people with seemingly perfect lives who are still depressed, depression doesn't discriminate. You can still laugh when you're depressed, it might be possible to feel some level of happiness too, but deep down you still feel hollow.
This is probably the worst thread made on this site ever. It's so far from any understanding of mental health problems it's not even funny. Depression=/=being a bit sad, it's not just strong emotions that need to be processed and treatment doesn't mean you'll not feel sad anymore - often it means you'll actually be able to feel genuine sadness when sad things happen rather than feeling hollow. Also, from what's been said - the treatment is therapy plus mood stabilisers if necessary, not an imaginary friend.
I think what OP was trying to say was people don't take depression seriously, and if you say you are really sad people will be more empathetic towards you.

Which, was once true. There definitely was and still is a stigma around depression, but going by your advice we would only be going backwards in the case of accepting mental health. People know how serious of a disease depression is, you saying we should mask the depression and just call it sadness will make it even more taboo... which is no good!!!
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
I think what OP was trying to say was people don't take depression seriously, and if you say you are really sad people will be more empathetic towards you.

Which, was once true. There definitely was and still is a stigma around depression, but going by your advice we would only be going backwards in the case of accepting mental health. People know how serious of a disease depression is, you saying we should mask the depression and just call it sadness will make it even more taboo... which is no good!!!

On other threads, she has stated that depression does not exist and that all you need to do is to become a Christian and read the Bible. Why have a freakin’ NHS when you’ve got the Bible, ffs.
On other threads, she has stated that depression does not exist and that all you need to do is to become a Christian and read the Bible. Why have a freakin’ NHS when you’ve got the Bible, ffs.

OH. Wow, nevermind. I just fainted today so maybe that impaired my ability to read what they said! haha.
If that is the case, they are a disgusting human being.
i pray that you never have to experience with those with depression have

maybe then you'll think twice about posting his
Well depends what you mean when you say depression. There is the clinical mental illness which is depression. Then there is the emotion "depression" (essentially a nuanced synonym for sad).

Can someone please run me over with a car so I don't need to do A-Levels?
OP I'm a Christian myself and I've been depressed for around five years. Depression is very real and it's lead me to harm myself and nearly kill myself in the past. While my faith helps, it definitely hasn't cured me. Most of the time I don't even have the motivation to pray or read the word because I feel so hopeless. I'm glad you don't know what it feels like to be depressed, and that you can function like a regular human being. I wouldn't wish this mental illness on my worst enemy. It's destroyed so many opportunities in my life. You're right, even my own family can't understand me, even though some of them have dealt with it themselves. It's a very lonely place to be mentally, and I urge you to try and have some empathy for those who are suffering. Denying the existence of depression will not cure us, it's a very personal battle. No two people with depression will have the same exact symptoms either.
eh?
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
Well depends what you mean when you say depression. There is the clinical mental illness which is depression. Then there is the emotion "depression" (essentially a nuanced synonym for sad).

same
OH. Wow, nevermind. I just fainted today so maybe that impaired my ability to read what they said! haha.
If that is the case, they are a disgusting human being.

no they're not. disgusting is a strong word.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i pray that you never have to experience with those with depression have

maybe then you'll think twice about posting his

Can you imagine them having kids and one with a mental health problem? I already feel bad for her unborn children.
Why have a freakin’ NHS when you’ve got the Bible, ffs.

Lol
Can you imagine them having kids and one with a mental health problem? I already feel bad for her unborn children.

The mind boggles. Best get in a stack of Bibles.
Reply 38
Original post by Kilam_Namoan

What are you scared of which is making you not want to do your A levels?
Original post by Leviathan1611
no they're not. disgusting is a strong word.

If in my opinion they are disgusting, then to me, they are. I don't care about your opinion. I can use any word I please and see fitting with my own ideas.

Latest

Trending

Trending