Should Atheists Celebrate Christmas? Watch

secobf
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Coming from abroad I think Christmas is more of a cultural event for the English rather than a religious one.
So go ahead and celebrate!
Zarek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
Didn't Christians hijack it from Pagans?
Undoubtedly, I'm an aethiests and not averse to celebratory food, booze and presents..
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Tell us what you think! Should atheists celebrate Christmas? :yes::nah:
Anyone that wants to should enjoy the cultural holidays in their country of residence.

Christians should not celebrate Christmas as a religious festival - the birth of someone that was, essentially, a human sacrifice is perverse, IMO.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It makes me quite annoyed when people associate Christmas with Christians - Christmas IS NOT a wholly Christian celebration!

Christmas was originally a celebration of the Pagans, which they called Yule.
Yule is a celebration of the Winter Solstice, just like many Pagan celebrations, such as Samhain, are to do with events like this.
However, the Christians stole this from the Pagans, and decided that Jesus was born on the 25th December. Of course, they did this whilst simultaneously calling Paganism a manifestation of the devil, and burning Pagans in the process... But we'll not get into that.

The only reason why Christmas is associated with Christanity is simply due to how widespread Christianity is, nothing more, nothing less.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Now here's a question sure to get your thinking caps on. :hmmmm:

Christmas is typically associated with Christians and the Christian religion. So why do people who aren't religious celebrate it? :holmes:

What do you think?

I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas for the family, food, fun and presents . It's not a religious holiday to me (and I'm sure not to other atheists too).

Tell us what you think! Should atheists celebrate Christmas? :yes::nah:
It is quite amusing that its midwinter that was picked as Jesus supposed birthday. The one time of year the Romans did not run censuses. Nor would there have been any shepherd's out.

They just wanted to pick a random date I guess, which is fine. But the rest of us can pick it too with just as much justification!
Alexty28
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Many atheists (not all though) love to **** off religion constantly and look down on people who have faith, but they love to celebrate Christmas because to them its all about food and gifts, no actual meaning behind it for them.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Alexty28)
Many atheists (not all though) love to **** off religion constantly and look down on people who have faith, but they love to celebrate Christmas because to them its all about food and gifts, no actual meaning behind it for them.
I can see where you're coming from. For me there's lots of meaning behind the food and gifts, but it just isn't religious meaning or anything like that. It's more personal.
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When it comes down to it, Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ and Christ is the central figure and the most important figure in CHRISTianity.
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
They hijacked it. By this I mean Christians did. It wasn't their festival either. Also, Christians themselves are not immune to making Christmas a commerical event so I don't see where the logic is in your post.
When it comes down to it, Christmas is the celebration of Jesus Christ and Christ is the central figure and the most important figure in CHRISTianity.
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
The actual Christmas festivities originate from the Roman festival Saturnalia which is where that tradition of gift-giving and partying really comes from. The date of Christ's birth was probably just accepted as being around midwinter to get people more on board with it, because midwinter was a time of celebration for pretty much all ancient cultures.

So yeah, sure. Anyone can do it. Io Saturnalia!
But those Romans believed in Christ?
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ybg321)
But those Romans believed in Christ?
Name:  20181201_210816-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  77.0 KB
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by blueamaraxx)
I think they can when its focused on family time etc but when its just presents then no
If you can also acknowledge the birth of Christ
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
Name:  20181201_210816-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  77.0 KB
Point being?
Krisis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Christmas has ceased to be identified with Christianity in most of the West anyway. It has always been a semi-pagan feast but it's now almost wholly that. So, in short, I'd be more worried about Christians celebrating it than non-Christians. Lol.
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Point being?
Believing in christ or not had no influence of the festival to which you replied to, they celebrated the God Saturn. Isn't that sort of going against the rules of the Bible? Celebrating another God? Maybe not now, but 100% back then? Basically witchcraft.
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 1 week ago
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by carrotstar)
I am also atheist and have been wondering this for a few years now! The last few years I’ve really been against celebrating, wondering what the point was. This year I’m feeling more festive than ever. I’ve realised that as Christianity is still an integral part of British society, I accept it as time to spend with family and celebrate life and love, rather than a celebration of Christ. I still decorate the house, have an advent calendar, give cards and gifts, and have turkey dinner on Christmas Day, but I think of it as a time to be grateful. Like thanksgiving, if you will. It is a break from work which allows me to relax and appreciate those around me. It brings people together, which is lovely, no matter the reason.
It is a great time for people to come together and be festive but to be honest I think you should be able to atleast acknowledge the birth of Christ on CHRISTmas, i mean you wouldnt want people taking time off work and celebrating on your birthday without acnowledging you in any way shape or form
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Linalolo)
Yes because it is 2018 and we listen to our inner beliefs not what society tells us anymore. Christmas is a fun event now not solely for christians but for the whole world to celebrate and get together and be kind.
If you are atheist yet you want to celebrate christmas.. Then go right ahead. Its not only a christian thing anymore.
Its called CHRISTmas to acknowledge the birth of Christ. You can listen to your inner beliefs without celebrating something you dont believe in
ZombieTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is a great time for people to come together and be festive but to be honest I think you should be able to atleast acknowledge the birth of Christ on CHRISTmas, i mean you wouldnt want people taking time off work and celebrating on your birthday without acnowledging you in any way shape or form
A lot of people are well aware Christ was not born on Christmas day though.

Also, this happens to me. People get off work and don't even acknowledge me when they are celebrating my birthday.
I was born on New Year's day.
I have proof if you are sceptical.
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 1 week ago
ybg321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's not best if you're an atheist. Why is it greedy to want to enjoy a fun time with your family and loved ones, having good food and listening to jolly music, whilst giving each other gifts? That to me sounds like a lovely happy time and not greedy at all!
I agree with you. Being in good spirits and being jolly is a great thing but I think you should be able to acknowledge the birth of Christ in some way shape or form on that day as its CHRISTmas. I wouldnt want people
enjoying a fun time, having good food and listening to jolly music, whilst giving each other giftson my birthday without atleast even saying happy birthday to me and im sure you wouldnt
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I agree with you. Being in good spirits and being jolly is a great thing but I think you should be able to acknowledge the birth of Christ in some way shape or form on that day as its CHRISTmas. I wouldnt want people
enjoying a fun time, having good food and listening to jolly music, whilst giving each other giftson my birthday without atleast even saying happy birthday to me and im sure you wouldnt
That's fine if you're a Christian.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.68%
No (520)
72.32%

Watched Threads