Do a biology foundation and switch from humanities Watch

hikingllama
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So I took history, art, music, and English at a level thinking I’m more creative which I don’t think I am any more - I just didn’t apply myself enough at sciences presuming I wasn’t intelligent enough and not liking simplified biology gotta love GCSE. Anyway so I’ve applied to do English at uni and am now thinking I’m doing the wrong thing, and in fact want to do marine biology through a biology foundation and I’ve always been interested in it, just I think did the wrong thing. The reason why I didn’t pursue it earlier is because my parents always said they didn’t know a single marine biologist that was employed, help. Ive only ever wanted to be a writer (and have realised I have no talent) or a marine biologist which would be just fascinating. Can I do a bio foundation through clearing?
Scared I’m going to waste money and time on the wrong degree
Need help

So I got A*s in all my sciences at gcse even though I appreciate its not a good indicator

I have an issue with making all my decisions last minute (moving sixth form two weeks before it started which worked out great but that’s different). I’ve always been interested in marine biology, and have been toying with doing a foundation via clearing and I’m not sure I can do that.
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hikingllama)
So I took history, art, music, and English at a level thinking I’m more creative which I don’t think I am any more - I just didn’t apply myself enough at sciences presuming I wasn’t intelligent enough and not liking simplified biology gotta love GCSE. Anyway so I’ve applied to do English at uni and am now thinking I’m doing the wrong thing, and in fact want to do marine biology through a biology foundation and I’ve always been interested in it, just I think did the wrong thing. The reason why I didn’t pursue it earlier is because my parents always said they didn’t know a single marine biologist that was employed, help. Ive only ever wanted to be a writer (and have realised I have no talent) or a marine biologist which would be just fascinating. Can I do a bio foundation through clearing?
Scared I’m going to waste money and time on the wrong degree
Need help

So I got A*s in all my sciences at gcse even though I appreciate its not a good indicator

I have an issue with making all my decisions last minute (moving sixth form two weeks before it started which worked out great but that’s different). I’ve always been interested in marine biology, and have been toying with doing a foundation via clearing and I’m not sure I can do that.
For marine biology you need that degree. To be a writer you don't even need a degree. You don't have to decide now, you can do both and you can switch careers later. So for now go with what you enjoy. You aren't going to get work as a marine biologist straight after uni without a PhD anyway.
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sounds like a GAP year would help have you considered this?
I know universities need to make their money but students should really have a year to think it through before getting in 30K+ debt.

So yea my advice is do a GAP year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.84%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.11%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.47%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.48%

Watched Threads