luhelp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So this may be a really stupid question and the answer may be simple but I can't find it on the internet anywhere.

I know RNA has only a single polynucleotide, but I don't understand why it still has complimentary base pairs (e.g. uracil and adenine) when it doesn't pair to anything anyway?
Charliegage
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by luhelp)
So this may be a really stupid question and the answer may be simple but I can't find it on the internet anywhere.

I know RNA has only a single polynucleotide, but I don't understand why it still has complimentary base pairs (e.g. uracil and adenine) when it doesn't pair to anything anyway?
RNA typically in the human body is a single polynucleotide.

RNA is able to form complimentary base pairs. An example of this is Protein synthesis when tRNA binds to mRNA.

The easiest explanation for why RNA doesn’t form two strands is the fact that the base pairs need to be exposed for protein synthesis and that RNA is also only used short term and needs to be easily attacked by enzymes to be able to break it down when enough of a protein has been made.

((((As a side note, you probably don’t need to know this, but RNA can be double stranded in some organisms like viruses (e.g. rota virus)))))
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.92%
I'm not sure (30)
4.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (198)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.52%

Watched Threads