The Student Room Group

Factorising Quadratics

http://imgbox.com/u1btsuU4

I don't understand Step 4. 9-2=7 so shouldn't the brackets be: (3x+2)(x-3)? I think this because don't you just put the signs in where they come from your equation? What I mean is 9 was first so the first bracket should have a + sign.
Original post by UrGrandpap
http://imgbox.com/u1btsuU4

I don't understand Step 4. 9-2=7 so shouldn't the brackets be: (3x+2)(x-3)? I think this because don't you just put the signs in where they come from your equation? What I mean is 9 was first so the first bracket should have a + sign.

No because the x term in (3x+2)(x-3) is 3x*-3+2*x=-9x+2x=-7x not 7x. You should expand the brackets out to work out what the right signs are if you are confused.
No, if you were to expand that, you would get 3 * 3x and -2 * x, giving 9x - 2x, which is 7x
Reply 3
Original post by Dalek1099
No because the x term in (3x+2)(x-3) is 3x*-3+2*x=-9x+2x=-7x not 7x. You should expand the brackets out to work out what the right signs are if you are confused.

I understand what you're saying but on step 4 it says fill in the signs so 9 and 2 add/subtract to give +7. +9-2=+7 so I'm not sure why it's the opposite.
Original post by Harry-Pikesley
No, if you were to expand that, you would get 3 * 3x and -2 * x, giving 9x - 2x, which is 7x
Original post by UrGrandpap
I understand what you're saying but on step 4 it says fill in the signs so 9 and 2 add/subtract to give +7. +9-2=+7 so I'm not sure why it's the opposite.

Exactly so you have to consider both ways of filling in the signs and check which one gives the right answer as I demonstrated in my previous post your answer gives -9+2=-7 so thats not the correct way of filling it the signs so they must be the opposite way around.
Reply 5
Original post by Dalek1099
Exactly so you have to consider both ways of filling in the signs and check which one gives the right answer as I demonstrated in my previous post your answer gives -9+2=-7 so thats not the correct way of filling it the signs so they must be the opposite way around.

I think I see what you mean. Tha ks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest