Fermi Estimations Watch

CemXx732
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Ive been given a fermi estimation question of “How many people are asleep currently in the world?”. Please can someone help me answer this!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CemXx732)
Ive been given a fermi estimation question of “How many people are asleep currently in the world?”. Please can someone help me answer this!
roughly how many people are in the world?
roughly how long does an average person sleep?
CemXx732
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
roughly how many people are in the world?
roughly how long does an average person sleep?
Around 8 billion and on average 8 hours
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Around 8 billion and on average 8 hours
so you can work it out from that?
CemXx732
Rep:
?
Well no cause there would be other factors such as not everyone sleeps at the same time because of the time zones, and not everyone goes to sleep at the same time
TheRevivedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
the more variables you account for, the more accurate your answers will be
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well no cause there would be other factors such as not everyone sleeps at the same time because of the time zones, and not everyone goes to sleep at the same time
On average, what fraction of people would be asleep at the same time?
Convert that fraction into a total?
CemXx732
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheRevivedMedic)
the more variables you account for, the more accurate your answers will be
Would i just do 33% of 8 billion as around 1/3 of the world will be asleep at once
TheRevivedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
well, nearly 2.5 billion people live in india and china alone. so depends on what exact time you are talking about. also, is the time given in GMT?
CemXx732
Rep:
?
well, nearly 2.5 billion people live in india and china alone. so depends on what exact time you are talking about. also, is the time given in GMT?
The question we have been given is how many people are asleep currently, so I could use GMT as my time measurement
TheRevivedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
questions generally want to see your thinking rather than one right answer. so i would start of by defining what 'current' means (basically just pick a time at random), and call it GMT (standard). assume everyone sleeps between 10-7 (maybe find some references). see how many people live in coutries at those times, and estimate. i am a biologist, so this is not my area of expertise
CemXx732
Rep:
?
questions generally want to see your thinking rather than one right answer. so i would start of by defining what 'current' means (basically just pick a time at random), and call it GMT (standard). assume everyone sleeps between 10-7 (maybe find some references). see how many people live in coutries at those times, and estimate. i am a biologist, so this is not my area of expertise
Okay thanks👍🏻 ill give it a go
TheRevivedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Okay thanks👍🏻 ill give it a go
is this school or university? cause that will determine how much you need to think about this
CemXx732
Rep:
?
is this school or university? cause that will determine how much you need to think about this
Its for core maths at A Level, an 8 marker
TheRevivedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
oh okay, probs shouldnt take my advice then. i dont do well against a set criteria (i am an out of the box thinker xD, so better in uni than school)

if this is a past paper, you could look at answers and see how it is actually done. probs the best way to go. and i only did maths till as-level (5 years ago now xD)
Last edited by TheRevivedMedic; 3 months ago
CemXx732
Rep:
?
oh okay, probs shouldnt take my advice then. i dont do well against a set criteria (i am an out of the box thinker xD, so better in uni than school)

if this is a past paper, you could look at answers and see how it is actually done. probs the best way to go. and i only did maths till as-level (5 years ago now xD)
Ive tried looking it up but cant find much online, sadly my teacher just gave it to me off the top of his head. Thanks for your help though!
TheRevivedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ive tried looking it up but cant find much online, sadly my teacher just gave it to me off the top of his head. Thanks for your help though!
seem like a nice kid. if you want bio help, i can do that. but i am no good at maths
CemXx732
Rep:
?
seem like a nice kid. if you want bio help, i can do that. but i am no good at maths
Sadly i dont do biology a level, id had enough after my GCSEs 😂 thanks anyways
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

They probably want a bit more detail than I originally thought then. For the time of the exam, which countries would be in the sleep time zone (america, india, china, ...?) and at least adjust your answer according to this. If the exam was 11am, I'd have thought that put most of the american continent in the sleep zone and australia just about to go to sleep.
CemXx732
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
They probably want a bit more detail than I originally thought then. For the time of the exam, which countries would be in the sleep time zone (america, india, china, ...?) and at least adjust your answer according to this. If the exam was 11am, I'd have thought that put most of the american continent in the sleep zone and australia just about to go to sleep.
I havent been given an exact time for this question. Its just a random one my teacher gave me for homework. So i could probably use GMT time and say 12pm. Then work out other countries with similar time zones or if they are a couple of hours behind or in front. Then add up all the populations of the countries that would be sleeping??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (107)
17.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (65)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.66%

Watched Threads