Analysing a Book for EPQ Watch

jennifugh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, my EPQ question is 'To what extent did the publication of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time dismiss stigmas surrounding autism in society?'. As part of this, I am analysing the book from a literary perspective. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the best way to do this. So far, I've picked out the 5 main elements of fiction: plot, point of view, character, setting and theme as my subsections. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, it would be super useful if anyone does my EPQ questionnaire, it's super short and focuses on autism stigma. Thank you so much https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RDDW7JL
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jennifugh)
Hi, my EPQ question is 'To what extent did the publication of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time dismiss stigmas surrounding autism in society?'. As part of this, I am analysing the book from a literary perspective. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the best way to do this. So far, I've picked out the 5 main elements of fiction: plot, point of view, character, setting and theme as my subsections. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, it would be super useful if anyone does my EPQ questionnaire, it's super short and focuses on autism stigma. Thank you so much https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RDDW7JL
I can’t comment on the book as I’ve not read it - But I have seen the play! That’s something you can comment on, how adaptations of the book have been brought to life on stage in a visual representation of autism.

Looking for literary critics will help, looking for what the author may have said online or in articles etc.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JEG666
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That sounds really interesting! I love The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime and I certainly think the presentation of autism helps break down the stigma. It sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan so far. I would just add that perhaps you should do some research on the way autism has been perceived historically and the stereotypes and assumptions people make about it and then how the author manages to dispell these... Sorry that wasn't very helpful but it sounds like a great idea for an epq so good luck!
jennifugh
Rep:
?
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
I can’t comment on the book as I’ve not read it - But I have seen the play! That’s something you can comment on, how adaptations of the book have been brought to life on stage in a visual representation of autism.

Looking for literary critics will help, looking for what the author may have said online or in articles etc.
Thank you for replying, I think literary critics greatly help and especially the author's view as that shapes everything
jennifugh
Rep:
?
(Original post by JEG666)
That sounds really interesting! I love The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime and I certainly think the presentation of autism helps break down the stigma. It sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan so far. I would just add that perhaps you should do some research on the way autism has been perceived historically and the stereotypes and assumptions people make about it and then how the author manages to dispell these... Sorry that wasn't very helpful but it sounds like a great idea for an epq so good luck!
I've done a bit of research on previous autism but I agree doing more helps me analyse the book as well e.g. Rain Man. This was actually super helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (94)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (67)
10.58%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.53%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.53%
No (440)
69.51%

Watched Threads