?
Report 1 month ago
Not gonna happen son.
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're right ....labour haven't got a chance in hell . Cornyn is hated by his own mps and lost a no confidence but still managed to hang on ....he's a joke ...as is Abbott ...McDonnell etc.
Justvisited
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Believe me, I live in a country that is not declining
Care to say where?
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz)
One's perspective on the Tories tends be based upon whether you think people have a right to steal other people's money via taxation.

Personally I don't think government should take care of people from cradle to grave as it tends to end up with more...graves.
So you think the sick and disabled steal people’s money by taxation. The war veteran who lost both legs and has severe PTSD should not get anything and be left to fend from themselves or the person who was born death dumb and blind should get nothing?

Where do you get these ideas? The Daily Mail?
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
So you think the sick and disabled steal people’s money by taxation. The war veteran who lost both legs and has severe PTSD should not get anything and be left to fend from themselves or the person who was born death dumb and blind should get nothing?

Where do you get these ideas? The Daily Mail?
It doesn't matter what the money is spent on, how good of a cause it is, if the money is stolen.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hope not. Margaret Thatcher did enough damage. We don't need that again.
Alexty28
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
See I can never take threads like this serious when the user who started it is clearly bias.
Woksin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m sorry but as a country we have become used to a lavish lifestyle that has been borrowed for decades. This can’t continue and the conservatives (under David Cameron anyway) were the only serious party ready to tackle this issue. The amount we spend on interest on the national debt would fix the NHS beyond any means you can think of. Oh, and don’t state that debt is falling, it’s falling as a percentage of GDP, because our economy is growing faster than the rate we borrow (in simple terms), debt is still rising, as is the interest.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DrMikeHuntHertz)
One's perspective on the Tories tends be based upon whether you think people have a right to steal other people's money via taxation.

Personally I don't think government should take care of people from cradle to grave as it tends to end up with more...graves.
You say this, but the actual Tory government of today hasn't exactly been slashing our taxes. In fact, as far as I can see, more or less everything the current government does outside its main occupation of making a mess of Brexit involves raising some tax or other.

The papers were reporting just this weekend on government plans to allow increases in council tax in respect of policing.
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
You say this, but the actual Tory government of today hasn't exactly been slashing our taxes. In fact, as far as I can see, more or less everything the current government does outside its main occupation of making a mess of Brexit involves raising some tax or other.

The papers were reporting just this weekend on government plans to allow increases in council tax in respect of policing.
Yes the Tory party has been morphing into Blue Labour.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)

Totally right the conservatives and labour agree on just about everything and argue over the other 5%.

One or two new parties will emerge in the next decade I think as these two have been moving toward each other for years.

So many voters don’t have a political home at the moment.
Pinkisk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That is a truly scary prospect, allowing the tories to stay in power for 25 years. I mean the state of the country today after ten years of them being in power is just terrible. I can't imagine what things would be like in 15 years. The waiting times at hospitals are ridiculous. The police force is hugely understaffed they're not investigating crimes and people are walking away from reporting crimes because of the incredible long waiting times to speak to an officer...students are suffering immense amounts of debt in return for little or nothing from universities that are using the money to pay extortionate wages to the directors and deans...etc etc. Tories in power for 25 years? I hope not...The problem that we have in this country is that our only alternative is Labour....and god what an awful alternative that is.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 month ago
That'sGreat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Back in May 2010 I didn’t know a lot about politics, I’d didn’t really know the difference between labour and the tories. But 9 years has been a very long time and I’ve grown to understand how incompassionate and spiteful the tories are with their austerity, their treatment against the needy and sick and removal of their disablement benefits and forcing them to do Workfare as part of UC. As a student I have seen the effects of cuts to FE I have seen public libraries shut down. Tuition fees go up and up as if we are to be punished for making something of our lives.

Parks and gardens I visited as a child left over grown. We have had 9 years of this none stop misery and on and on it goes with no respite.

Old people tell me that the 1980s were bad with prime minister Margaret Thatcher but it was not continual misery like we have now there were a few breaks. The jobless and disabled were not attacked with cruel welfare reforms and universal credits. Students went to university for free, no tuition fees and there was a generous maintenance grant of £3000 a year! Back then £3000 was probably a lot of money like £10,000 is now and that did not have to be paid back. I come to think M Thatcher was far better than what we have now.

But the tories go on and on. There is no effective opposition. Corbyn provides some very attractive alternatives but his support is split by Brexit which has more or less made him unelectable because a lot of labour supporters are pro-remain and will refuse to vote for him due to his support of ultra hard Brexit.
Corbyn has also settled in to be labour leader for life which could be 25 years or more. While he runs labour, the tories have a clear run to win election after election. So sadly they could be here for a very long time yet. 9 years seems a very very long time. 25 years is unthinkable
Clearly 9 years wasn't enough for you to actually understand what you are talking about. Not only are Corbyn's policies not attractive, as long as you don't want to see an even more crippled economy, overflow of state schools and an increased deficit which will only make the debt crisis worse, but Corbyn is not 'set for life' as Labour leader. Half the Labour MPs despise him, and the only reason he actually made it to leader was because they allowed Labour members to vote, so that will consist of mainly the extreme activists and people who are more far-left than the majority of Labour voters. Yet the idea that Tories will be in for another 25 years is laughable, Corbyn or whoever leads Labour before the next general election will get into power, because the Tory government has made lasting damage to the party, and this will see severe consequences for the country.
DSutch
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There has only been a Tory majority in the House of Commons for under 2 years of the last 21. So a hung parliament is a distinct possibility. Eventually Labour will have a leader more representative of the Left than Jeremy Corbyn.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Back in May 2010 I didn’t know a lot about politics, I’d didn’t really know the difference between labour and the tories. But 9 years has been a very long time and I’ve grown to understand how incompassionate and spiteful the tories are with their austerity, their treatment against the needy and sick and removal of their disablement benefits and forcing them to do Workfare as part of UC. As a student I have seen the effects of cuts to FE I have seen public libraries shut down. Tuition fees go up and up as if we are to be punished for making something of our lives.

Parks and gardens I visited as a child left over grown. We have had 9 years of this none stop misery and on and on it goes with no respite.

Old people tell me that the 1980s were bad with prime minister Margaret Thatcher but it was not continual misery like we have now there were a few breaks. The jobless and disabled were not attacked with cruel welfare reforms and universal credits. Students went to university for free, no tuition fees and there was a generous maintenance grant of £3000 a year! Back then £3000 was probably a lot of money like £10,000 is now and that did not have to be paid back. I come to think M Thatcher was far better than what we have now.

But the tories go on and on. There is no effective opposition. Corbyn provides some very attractive alternatives but his support is split by Brexit which has more or less made him unelectable because a lot of labour supporters are pro-remain and will refuse to vote for him due to his support of ultra hard Brexit.
Corbyn has also settled in to be labour leader for life which could be 25 years or more. While he runs labour, the tories have a clear run to win election after election. So sadly they could be here for a very long time yet. 9 years seems a very very long time. 25 years is unthinkable
Your tone here reveals enough about your character to see why you were never going to like the tories; you’re clearly in favour of a large welfare state and free stuff. You see being told you have to pay for your degree as punishment rather than the free exchange of services for cash. To add to that you’re clearly around people who are very anti-Tory and that will have determined your view point to some extent
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1619)
79.13%
Leave (427)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed