The Student Room Group

Can I still become a solicitor?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 999tigger
Jess you can have a legal career, but make sure you get a 2:1. Going to a good uni helps.
Good work experience and networking helps.

You need to identify your skills and then the people who will be interested in them.
Dont apply for jobs where you dont meet the A level criteria. Smaller firms in the regions will be less fussed.
If you do really well and want to try the mit circs route for your A levels then contact HR and just ask. If you have shown yourself to be a star performer they can look past your A levels.
It is competitive anyway, just be smart and determined.

Thankyou for all your help. I would like to stand out before going down the mitigating circumstances route. I am predicted a 1st in my modules so far. Thankyou again
What bit of you arent being helpful are you choosing not to understand?

You appear to be the type of person that relishes telling people they cant do something rather than actually helping someone and explaining to them how they can achieve their ambitions.

I'm not interested in platitudes or ad hominem drivel. Moving on:

Can they still become a solictor? Yes. It may be more challenging, but they can still make it.

Until Notoriety's post no-one had paid any mind whatsoever to the fact that "excellent uni grades" butters scant few parsnips when the awarding institution is itself fundamentally mistrusted by employers, which in the case of a CCD candidate would be more likely than not. Of course, they could also through mitigating circumstances and sheer determination have parlayed their way onto a still halfway-reputable programme, casting that predicament in a then more favourable light; hence "which university" becomes as pertinent a query as any towards establishing this vital context, and arguably more helpful than the banalities which preceded it (or, in your case; followed it).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Profesh

Until Notoriety's post no-one had paid any mind whatsoever to the fact that "excellent uni grades" butters scant few parsnips when the awarding institution is itself fundamentally mistrusted by employers, which in the case of a CCD candidate would be more likely than not. Of course, they could also through mitigating circumstances and sheer determination have parlayed their way onto a still halfway-reputable programme, casting that predicament in a then more favourable light; hence "which university" becomes as pertinent a query as any towards establishing this vital context, and arguably more helpful than the banalities which preceded it (or, in your case; followed it).

I attend the University of Winchester. I went to a close one so I can stay close to my Mother. I understand this isn't Oxford or Cambridge but I've never been told this is a 'terrible' uni either. Thankyou for your help!
Original post by jess1558
Thankyou for all your help. I would like to stand out before going down the mitigating circumstances route. I am predicted a 1st in my modules so far. Thankyou again

I do think the smarter choice would have been to have resit your A levels. It would have saved you hassle further down the line.

Another possibility is to get really good marks in year 1 and then seek a transfer to a higher uni, so at least you can make the negative impact less of an issue.

Speak to JSP as they are an actual recruiter.

Tbh you have nothing to lose with the mit circ route as you are quickly trying to find out which ones are not open to you and therefore its pointless applying. Be practical and smart. and seek out the employers who will be interested and decide if thats enough. Of not then you would have to make some remedial measures.

Obviously things are going to be more challenging but dont let negative people put you off, just be realistic and do your research i.e start using your careers service now.

The answer imo is yes yo can still become a solicitor, but you will need to alter where you can train. Even then it is competitive, but be determined an believe in your own ability plus take good advice.
Original post by Profesh

As pointed out you arent interested in helping the OP and have followed through with that promise.
Its already been pointed out the OP will have a difficult/ impossible task with some firms.
The OP is just interested in qualifying and believe it or not, then all firms arent the same.
The target market will be much reduced, but if they score well then they can still get a training contract, especially if they show they have lots of other skills and present well at interview.

Nobody has said it isnt a factor, but it isnt the only one. Not all firms are the same.
As you have made no attempt to actually help the OP, then you seem a bit pointless.
Original post by Notoriety
Get a good first and some experience. Go from there.

CCD will get you into a shoddy uni, and a shoddy uni and potentially only getting a 2:1 will potentially make it harder to convince employers that your poor grades were only because of your mitigating circumstances and that you are actually a smart individual.

For small firms, though, they're not looking for a savant or polymath. They want people they know and people with experience. Therefore, there is potential to enter a firm as a receptionist and move into paralegal work and then get the offer of solid legal work.

I do wonder what relevant work experience you are currently undertaking. Because global politics doesn't really do anything for you, other than take up a proper law module.

Had I been in that situation I think I would have retaken A levels.
Bit drastic and even now that option would be open to the OP. They could use their gift year to restart or finish this year and see if they would accept a transfer.
This is especially so because a mit circ claim can get dull and resitting shows a person dealing with the problem in another way. Assuming the results are obtained then it speaks for itself. All at the cost of a year.
All a bit twisty but nobody said we all had to follow the same path.

Agree the global politics module sounds a bit questionable.

@jess1558

Assuming this is your first year then you should consider what you wish to do and go through the options.
Its better to equip yourself as best you can to improve your chances later on. You still have options now, even if they sound drastic. You may well be glad you took them later on down the line. So not underestimate how competitive it can be.
Original post by amytrueman22
I’m also having this issue... wanted to be in this career for a really long time but my A-Levels were disrupted from a traumatic incident and the university I’m at has been disappointing in some aspects, so I’m worried it’s unachievable!

You seem to have inserted yourself into the thread of jess 1558. You are probably better off making your own thread with all the relevant details.

You have to decide what you want.

What price your target employers set.

What you have to offer?

If that is realistically enough.

Identify if you can make any changes.

ID how long you are prepared to keep trying.
Had I been in that situation I think I would have retaken A levels.
Bit drastic and even now that option would be open to the OP. They could use their gift year to restart or finish this year and see if they would accept a transfer.
This is especially so because a mit circ claim can get dull and resitting shows a person dealing with the problem in another way. Assuming the results are obtained then it speaks for itself. All at the cost of a year.
All a bit twisty but nobody said we all had to follow the same path.

Agree the global politics module sounds a bit questionable.

@jess1558

Assuming this is your first year then you should consider what you wish to do and go through the options.
Its better to equip yourself as best you can to improve your chances later on. You still have options now, even if they sound drastic. You may well be glad you took them later on down the line. So not underestimate how competitive it can be.

Resit has the potential to get you into a "better uni", yeah. Even if a lot of firms will only accept first-sitting results (but as a practical matter, they might be informally reassured by seeing that you corrected the result).

And getting into a good uni is not just "good" because of the employability POV, you get to study in a more academically rewarding environment. Which should be important to students. If I were OP, though, I would just go with the most practice-facing course I could find with my dissapointing A-Levels. MLaw from Northumbria with LPC is what I'd have done if I had bombed mine -- a bit of an easier route into paralegal work, with lots of places expecting a legal qual of some kind (and experience).
Original post by Notoriety
Resit has the potential to get you into a "better uni", yeah. Even if a lot of firms will only accept first-sitting results (but as a practical matter, they might be informally reassured by seeing that you corrected the result).

And getting into a good uni is not just "good" because of the employability POV, you get to study in a more academically rewarding environment. Which should be important to students. If I were OP, though, I would just go with the most practice-facing course I could find with my dissapointing A-Levels. MLaw from Northumbria with LPC is what I'd have done if I had bombed mine -- a bit of an easier route into paralegal work, with lots of places expecting a legal qual of some kind (and experience).

I think it would be helpful id the OP did some research to understand what the knock on effects might be.
If they are happy with high street or smaller firms then she can make a choice to plough on. It might work and it might not.

Yes I know you like the Northumbria course as ive seen you mention it before.

I think Legal sec is quite a good job. You can learn a lot, plus pull a decent salary as well as do a lot of networking, but it also depends on getting a decent firm and boss.
Reply 29
I think it would be helpful id the OP did some research to understand what the knock on effects might be.
If they are happy with high street or smaller firms then she can make a choice to plough on. It might work and it might not.

Yes I know you like the Northumbria course as ive seen you mention it before.

I think Legal sec is quite a good job. You can learn a lot, plus pull a decent salary as well as do a lot of networking, but it also depends on getting a decent firm and boss.

Thankyou for your input and the support, just knowing it is possible is enough for me. I have always been a very determined worker and I am more than willing to work for this. High street firms or smaller firms would make me happy.
Original post by jess1558
Thankyou for your input and the support, just knowing it is possible is enough for me. I have always been a very determined worker and I am more than willing to work for this. High street firms or smaller firms would make me happy.

As I said I would have resat A levels.
Your uni may do you no favours.

If you decide to press on then do so with open eyes and look to improve every aspect of your application.
I suggest you go to careers and look at a book called what color is my parachute by Richard Nelson Bolles.

It explains you are only interested in identifying the people who are interested in you and not all the p;people who will say no.

I dont think Notoriety's suggestion is a bad idea that you may need to paralegal or become a legal sec to get a foot in the door. It might be possible, but that doesnt mean you will make it. You juts have to keep going.

I would say having the right A levels and resits would be how I would have done it. You would be able to apply to a lot more firms. Short term sacrifice for long terms gain. The path is your choice. Talk to a careers adviser as well.

I dont think you appreciate just how competitive it is out there.
You seem to have inserted yourself into the thread of jess I do have my own thread, but not much response! Yeah 1558. You are probably better off making your own thread with all the relevant details.

You have to decide what you want.

What price your target employers set.

What you have to offer?

If that is realistically enough.

Identify if you can make any changes.

ID how long you are prepared to keep trying.

I do have my own thread, I just haven’t had much feedback on this 😞
Original post by amytrueman22
I do have my own thread, I just haven’t had much feedback on this 😞

I will have a look.

It just tends to confuse me and there would be more chance of me not seeing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending