The Bible and Psychology Watch

Horner94
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Dear Students,

I would be eager to get a discussion going on Donna J. Habenicht's book titled 'The Bible and Psychology'. If interested please follow this link to read the material: http://fae.adventist.org/essays/26Bcc_305-359.htm

I would be happy to participate in a discussion.

First, I would like to know you thoughts about advice I was given regarding clinical psychology, as follows:

“Humans are not qualified to search the heart. That is God’s workspace. It is a waste of time. The “help” is no help.

Ps 44:21 Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.

Ps 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

Jer 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

It is a crime against God and man for some human to say they will search the heart and “help”. It is a lie!!"

Kind regards,
Chad
Last edited by Horner94; 3 months ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's an interesting article and probably outlines the seventh day adventist position very well.
The quotes above serve to highlight the omniscience that bible believers attribute to God alone- whilst also reinforcing the fact that human judgement is subject to error, sin and subjectivity.

But attributing truth to God alone and placing all within a religious remit, attempts to monopolize truth and fuse religious scripture with secular life/area s of study.
This is likely to antagonize many and ultimately sets religion on a collision course with science and other secular disciplines- competing for that truth monopoly.
The final biblical quote is very harsh and could be viewed as an aggressive attack against secular professionals seeking to help others.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Horner94)
Dear Students,

I would be eager to get a discussion going on Donna J. Habenicht's book titled 'The Bible and Psychology'. If interested please follow this link to read the material: http://fae.adventist.org/essays/26Bcc_305-359.htm

I would be happy to participate in a discussion.

First, I would like to know you thoughts about advice I was given regarding clinical psychology, as follows:

“Humans are not qualified to search the heart. That is God’s workspace. It is a waste of time. The “help” is no help.

Ps 44:21 Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.

Ps 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

Jer 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

It is a crime against God and man for some human to say they will search the heart and “help”. It is a lie!!"

Kind regards,
Chad
Absolute rubbish.
Horner94
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Seamus123)
Absolute rubbish.
Dear Seamus,

Please can you explain what you mean when you say "absolute rubbish"?

Kind regards,
Chad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads