The Student Room Group

World War 2 veteran dies after being robbed in his home

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/01/war-hero-98-dies-injured-violent-robbery-home/

Second World War veteran Peter Gouldstone, 98, who was injured during a violent robbery at his home in north London last month, has died, the Metropolitan Police said.
He had been attacked in his home in Enfield, north London, on November 6 and was left suffering severe injuries including two bleeds to the brain and extensive bruising on his body.

It made my blood boil when I read this article, this man fought and risked his life to ensure the freedom of the people of the 21th century including the ones of the thugs who attacked him are protected and how do these thugs show their respects? Oh yeah let's go, beat him up and rob his house.

Burglaries are increasing in London, heck they even managed to reach my own neighbourhood but I am yet to be robbed. A more tougher approach needs to be in place for these thugs
Original post by The RAR
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/01/war-hero-98-dies-injured-violent-robbery-home/

Second World War veteran Peter Gouldstone, 98, who was injured during a violent robbery at his home in north London last month, has died, the Metropolitan Police said.
He had been attacked in his home in Enfield, north London, on November 6 and was left suffering severe injuries including two bleeds to the brain and extensive bruising on his body.

It made my blood boil when I read this article, this man fought and risked his life to ensure the freedom of the people of the 21th century including the ones of the thugs who attacked him are protected and how do these thugs show their respects? Oh yeah let's go, beat him up and rob his house.

Burglaries are increasing in London, heck they even managed to reach my own neighbourhood but I am yet to be robbed. A more tougher approach needs to be in place for these thugs

Not a lot to say. Wait to see if they will be pursued for murder. Pretty disgusting. Imagine living though war only to end up going out like that.
He is in a better place now and free from suffering, but we should not forget that it wasn't his time and stripping him from life was beyond vile.

I do hope they find these people and give them a maximum sentence, I would be heartbroken if this was my grandparent or father.

Please stay safe, keep your family safe.

I have a question for anyone who knows about British law, is it true we cannot use an object to defend ourselves? I have heard that if we cannot give a reason for keeping an object other than as a weapon, we can be charged and tried. Such as a baseball bat near the bedside kept by someone who does not play baseball.
Very very angry and sad by this .
It disgusts me . These were very brave men . Not like the cowards we now see stealing a living . I hope the bastuurd responsible gets what he deserves .
Reply 4
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
He is in a better place now and free from suffering, but we should not forget that it wasn't his time and stripping him from life was beyond vile.

I do hope they find these people and give them a maximum sentence, I would be heartbroken if this was my grandparent or father.

Please stay safe, keep your family safe.

I have a question for anyone who knows about British law, is it true we cannot use an object to defend ourselves? I have heard that if we cannot give a reason for keeping an object other than as a weapon, we can be charged and tried. Such as a baseball bat near the bedside kept by someone who does not play baseball.

What I noticed is that British Law protects criminals more than the victims, yes you are allowed to use an object but if you break his jaw expect to be in court in a few weeks. I mean ffs some of our cops don't even have batons
Must have been those white christian heterosexual males again...
Reply 6

On your own private property, no that isn't true. Generally speaking if a police officer did for some reason question why you had a baseball bat inside your own house, your only response needs to be, "none of your business, officer". You're not obliged under any law to provide any reasons for possessing something in your own home, provided said something isn't explicitly prohibited of course.

A baseball bat carried in public is a different matter, if you don't have an obviously lawful reason for having one in public (ie playing a game of baseball), it's quite likely the police would suspect you of carrying it to use as an offensive weapon, which is a crime and you could be arrested and charged. Whether you are found guilty in court depends on the prosecution showing evidence that you intended to use the baseball bat as an offensive weapon. If at any point you say "I was carrying it in case I needed to defend myself", then guess what? You have just landed yourself in the **** because you have effectively admitted guilt and that you did indeed intend to use it as an offensive weapon, and the onus is then shifted upon you to give evidence of mitigating reasons for having such an item in public (which will be very difficult). Ironically, if you are caught with a baseball bat in public, you stand a better chance by simply saying "none of your business, officer", because as before, the onus will then be entirely upon the prosecution to prove intent (which is much more difficult).

Confused yet? I don't blame you. To sum it up, keep a baseball in your home and you'll be fine, but best not take it out in public, it will cause you more trouble than it's worth.

As for self defence, that's another area of law entirely. Generally, the law isn't concerned whether you use a weapon or not, nor the circumstances around having a weapon. It's only concern is whether the force you used was proportionate and reasonable. Research the laws yourself, but don't believe the sensationalist nonsense that you can't legally defend yourself in the UK, that's a lie, we actually have very good self defence laws. There have been countless cases over the years of people defending themselves, many times with weapons and they have subsequently been found to have acted lawfully in self defence, no futher action, they are free to go on with their lives.
(edited 5 years ago)

As the pagan guy said, if you use a weapon, don't tell anyone that you only had it there for self-defence. Having weapons for the sole purpose of self-defence may be illegal, but having things that just happen to be useful as weapons cannot be.

Also, iirc, you have a duty to retreat before attacking an intruder. I.e. run upstairs into your bedroom and let them steal your stuff and leave. If they enter your bedroom, and you can't really escape (i.e. if there aren't multiple doors) then you have probably fulfilled that legal obligation, and from then on are probably legally justified in using proportional force (if they are unarmed, you don't need more than a light tap with a baseball bat, unless they draw a knife, in which case just hit a bit harder).
Original post by The RAR

:frown: Lost for words. Gutted. Incandescant - but sadly, in today`s climate, not surprised. As the son of a father who was in the same often overlooked, but toughest in the west in terms of blood and treasure, Italian theatre of operations in WW 2 and know how it affected him, I can only empathise and offer my sincerest condolences to his son and family who must be heartbroken at this time.

What those who did this need to remember- if they have enough mind-set to do so that is - is to recollect that when he was around their age, late teens to early twenties, the best years of his life were being taken up as has been said before, to ensure the freedom they have and certainly don`t deserve today. To get some idea of what Peter Gouldstone and his ilk had to contend with, I would suggest reading " Ten Armies In Hell" ( Peter Caddick- Adams) and "Italy`s Sorrow " ( James Holland).
(edited 5 years ago)
Vile scum. Lock em up and through away the key.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending