Is there any point applying for Oxford if i have an HNC or HND ?

Watch
mikhail415
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am thinking of doing a HNC in legal studies after school and planning on getting an A but Im not sure if signing up for a popular course like law at Oxford is worth it. Im afriad they will see my qualification as lesser and deny me could someone please advise , thank you.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mikhail415)
I am thinking of doing a HNC in legal studies after school and planning on getting an A but Im not sure if signing up for a popular course like law at Oxford is worth it. Im afriad they will see my qualification as lesser and deny me could someone please advise , thank you.
An HNC is equivalent to the 1st year at university (an HND is Y2) so may affect your entitlement to student finance at any university, nevermind Oxford.

Are you currently studying A-levels at school, or something else?
mikhail415
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
An HNC is equivalent to the 1st year at university (an HND is Y2) so may affect your entitlement to student finance at any university, nevermind Oxford.

Are you currently studying A-levels at school, or something else?
I am currently studying Highers at my final year of secondary school, but i do not take advance highers so its not possible for me to leave straight on from school as i do not have enough grades
Last edited by mikhail415; 1 year ago
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am currently studying Highers at my final year of secondary school, but i do not take advance highers so its not possible for me to leave straight on from school as i do not have enough grades
Frankly if your Highers aren't strong I suspect Oxford is out of reach. A more realistic route may be to get your undergrad in Scotland and then look at Oxbridge for a postgraduate degree.
mikhail415
Rep:
?
Thanks for your quick response I also appreciate your forwardness, is there any other possible routes you could suggest. I have predicted grades A this year and Oxford does say they take HNC and HND grades A with a good comment from your lecturer could I not use the As if i get them from year with an HNC?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your quick response I also appreciate your forwardness, is there any other possible routes you could suggest. I have predicted grades A this year and Oxford does say they take HNC and HND grades A with a good comment from your lecturer could I not use the As if i get them from year with an HNC?
Yes you're quite right - I hadn't checked ... mea culpa.

However it would be worth speaking to Oxford to see if they have actually accepted Scottish students in your situation. I suspect it's a rather uncommon route.
mikhail415
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Yes you're quite right - I hadn't checked ... mea culpa.

However it would be worth speaking to Oxford to see if they have actually accepted Scottish students in your situation. I suspect it's a rather uncommon route.
Thank you for your help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (814)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.68%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads