The Student Room Group

Are you racist if you fight an ethnic minority?

Well since that video about the Huddersfield boy I thought it would be interesting to get opinions.

Scenario 1
White Guy has a fight with black guy:
White guy calls him a n*gga
Black guy calls him what ever is most offensive to the white guy e.g. mocking face/hair/clothes etc. (I don't know of any derogatory comments for white people lol)

This is all said in the heat of the moment just to be as offensive as possible in order to anger the other person. Let's say we can see in their heads and we know neither hate people of said skin colour. Are either racist?

Scenario 2:
Indian guy has a fight with a asain guy
Indian guy calls other guy all the racial slurs you can think of and the Asain guy does the same.
Are they racist?

I think my underlining question is what is racism?
Can you be racist just for saying a racist word or saying it to offend someone.
Or as I always assumed you are racist if you have a deep seated loathing for people of different ethnicities and don't see them as equal.
Original post by adam277
Well since that video about the Huddersfield boy I thought it would be interesting to get opinions.

Scenario 1
Black guy calls him what ever is most offensive to the white guy e.g. mocking face/hair/clothes etc. (I don't know of any derogatory comments for white people lol)

This is all said in the heat of the moment just to be as offensive as possible in order to anger the other person. Let's say we can see in their heads and we know neither hate people of said skin colour. Are either racist?

Scenario 2:
Indian guy calls other guy all the racial slurs you can think of and the Asain guy does the same.
Are they racist?

Or as I always assumed you are racist if you have a deep seated loathing for people of different ethnicities and don't see them as equal.

1)They were acting racist, they saw that the race of that man was worthy of being used in a derogatory manner and thus being inferior. Both of them. However, you can excuse the actions of the second man because he didn't do the name calling first. Even if the white man doesn't hate the skin colour of the black man, he saw his colour a reason to insult him for. But it does not mean they are racist... just that they were acting that way.

2)Same scenario so of course they are being racist.

No, you cannot be racist for just saying a word because context matters. People would joke about suicide and 'kys' but I guarantee none of those people wanted to die.
Point is, it depends how and why you did it. On accident? Whatever. Don't do it again.
To insult someone, racist as I mentioned with the scenarios.
As a joke, as long as both parties know it is a joke or they are laughing together and not at eachother? I don't think it is racist personally. But I don't think anyone should use the word n****
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by adam277

Scenario 1

Scenario 2:
Are they racist?

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Context is important.
it only becomes racist if race is either the motivator for the fight, or race is brought into the fight purely as an insult..

but it is tricky because race is presumed as a motive far to soon.

The other tricky thing is that when people are in that state of hightened anger/emotion/testosterone is flowing - they lash out in any way that they think will hurt the other person. Often they may say something racial, not because they actually believe it to be a bad thing, but because they know it will hurt the other person. Its still racist - but understanding the motive helps put things into perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending