The Student Room Group

Why the West is wrong about China's Social Credit System

Despite the Trump administration's attempts to portray China as an authoritarian state, and Western media's dedication to fall in line behind every American attempt to 'spread democracy' to the East, it may not be the Orwellian apparatus that we have been told to believe it is.

First, using the phrase “social credit system” for this massive social engineering effort is misleading. We typically associate “credit score” with a credit bureau’s assessment of one’s record of repaying debt. When extending this thinking to social spheres, it is easy to conjure an image of a single credit authority assigning scores to all aspects of one’s social and personal life. However, there is a great deal of confusion and uncertainty on the future direction of this massive social governance project. In a 2014 document, the Chinese government outlined its vision for such a system and noted that it involved four distinct segments: a government trust system, a commercial credit system, a social trust system and a judicial trust system. What drives this gargantuan project is an effort to build a culture of trust in Chinese society. Given this broad aim, a more appropriate term to describe the initiative is a “social trust system.” And trust is a good thing.

Indeed, the social trust system is intended to curb official corruption, tackle official dereliction and improve efficiency in enforcing court decisions, as well as punish unethical behaviors of professionals such as lawyers, doctors and teachers.

Restrictions like these, however, are meant to apply only to people who have defaulted on penalty payments or who have refused to comply with court decisions. Such penalties are meted out according to Supreme Court regulations that is to say, no private scoring company or government agency (besides law enforcement institutions) are able to hand out such penalties.

Western reports on China’s social trust system sidestep the reality that there are different cultural expectations of the government in China than in other countries. China’s governance tradition of promoting good moral behavior goes back thousands of years. In recent decades, as the economy took off and people’s living standards improved dramatically, fraud and technology-enabled economic crimes proliferated as well. Given all these problems, a system that bolsters trust is seen by many Chinese citizens as necessary.

Social governance in the digital age is a global challenge. Rather than instantly dismissing China’s unconventional governance innovations, we need an open-minded discussion of the pros and cons one that is sensitive to the challenges and priorities of different cultural and political contexts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/11/29/social-credit/

I used to be critical of China, but maybe I was wrong. China is often portrayed in Western media as an evil power, but the so-called 'leader of the free world' elected Trump, sooo... yeah. Maybe it is time to rethink what we believe.

Scroll to see replies

Jesus how brainwashed are you? the social credit system would only ever work if we had some utterly unbiased and totally logical system, this is 100% not the case, this will be another way for the totalitarian regime to bury those that disagree with them.

this social credit system is coming from the country that
1. Harvests organs from religious minorities
2. Has "reeducation" camps
3. Has no care for the environment.
4. limits the freedom of speech through methods unseen in the west (now including social credit)
5. Is removing minorities through replacement and labour camps

It is also funny that you talk about corruption yet fail to realise the people that are implementing this are the embodiment of corruption the government. also very pathetic how you cry about Trump yet see this as something that is positive.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AperfectBalance
Jesus how brainwashed are you? the social credit system would only ever work if we had some utterly unbiased and totally logical system, this is 100% not the case, this will be another way for the totalitarian regime to bury those that disagree with them.

4. limits the freedom of speech through methods unseen in the west (now including social credit)

It is also funny that you talk about corruption yet fail to realise the people that are implementing this are the embodiment of corruption the government. also very pathetic how you cry about Trump yet see this as something that is positive.

1) Source?
2) Does China have something as bad as Guantanimo Bay?
3) China has made great strides to improve the environment. Contrast that to Donald Trump's climate change denial.
4) Muh freeze peach!
5) Source? I used to think so too, but I've realised that I was probably basing this off of thinly veiled propaganda. Note that China doesn't enforce the single child policy as strongly in non-Han Chinese regions. If they wanted to eliminate non-Han Chinese, as you claim, they would surely do the opposite - only apply the one-child policy to those regions?

It is funny how you talk about brainwashing when I am very open about the fact that I used to believe the same lies that you do and am open to changing my mind. Being open to changing your mind is the opposite of being brainwashed.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
1) Source?
2) Does China have something as bad as Guantanimo Bay?
3) China has made great strides to improve the environment. Contrast that to Donald Trump's climate change denial.
4) Muh freeze peach!
5) Source? I used to think so too, but I've realised that I was probably basing this off of thinly veiled propaganda. Note that China doesn't enforce the single child policy as strongly in non-Han Chinese regions. If they wanted to eliminate non-Han Chinese, as you claim, they would surely do the opposite - only apply the one-child policy to those regions?

It is funny how you talk about brainwashing when I am very open about the fact that I used to believe the same lies that you do and am open to changing my mind. Being open to changing your mind is the opposite of being brainwashed.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_harvesting_from_Falun_Gong_practitioners_in_China Has all the sources you need
2. Guantanamo bay is on a totally different level to China, the detention and punishment given to actual terrorists and very evil people is in no way similar to China putting you in prison for say doing yoga or writing something anti china online.
3.HAHAHAH what a bloody joke, China pollutes so much more than any other country in the world, they dump toxic waste into our seas and they continue to use massive amounts of coal and toxic materials. just search for China and pollution or anything relating to the environment.
4.Nice argument, I cant wait till you live in a totalitarian state then you might value the freedoms we have.
5. Just search it up, you are blatantly spouting propaganda.
China is a great country..... as long as you don't ask questions. If you go along with it all and don't raise your head or comment or criticise, you will be fine. And as long as you behave and are exactly as the government want you to do i.e. without religion etc etc you will also be fine.

And if you do
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/China_hidden_camps

Bear in mind that the citizens of China can't see this page BTW. The BBC has been blocked by the Chinese government
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45098190
Original post by ByEeek
Bear in mind that the citizens of China can't see this page BTW. The BBC has been blocked by the Chinese government
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45098190

That's very dishonestly worded.

The BBC is not blocked in China. Only HTTPS (encrypted HTTP) is blocked in China.

The BBC chose to stop serving HTTP, and that is the only reason it is "blocked" in China.
That's very dishonestly worded.

The BBC is not blocked in China. Only HTTPS (encrypted HTTP) is blocked in China.

The BBC chose to stop serving HTTP, and that is the only reason it is "blocked" in China.

And the reason the BBC choose to serve HTTPS was so that they could guarantee to their readers that what they read was genuine and from the BBC and was not doctored and changed by the Chinese government to give an air of authenticity to what would otherwise have been another form of subtle government propaganda.

The choice the BBC had was to either be banned, or have their content modified by the Chinese government. Are you telling me that is a genuine choice?

Here is another choice. Either sign this confession we wrote about you and go to jail for 30 years or be killed? It isn't really a choice is it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Are you high or have you been sipping from the CCCP's chalice recently?
No one, not even the Chinese government, would try and contend that the country isnt an authoritarian quasi-dictatorship [although they might take umbrage with the last epithet].
Despite the Trump administration's attempts to portray China as an authoritarian state, and Western media's dedication to fall in line behind every American attempt to 'spread democracy' to the East, it may not be the Orwellian apparatus that we have been told to believe it is.

First, using the phrase “social credit system” for this massive social engineering effort is misleading. We typically associate “credit score” with a credit bureau’s assessment of one’s record of repaying debt. When extending this thinking to social spheres, it is easy to conjure an image of a single credit authority assigning scores to all aspects of one’s social and personal life. However, there is a great deal of confusion and uncertainty on the future direction of this massive social governance project. In a 2014 document, the Chinese government outlined its vision for such a system and noted that it involved four distinct segments: a government trust system, a commercial credit system, a social trust system and a judicial trust system. What drives this gargantuan project is an effort to build a culture of trust in Chinese society. Given this broad aim, a more appropriate term to describe the initiative is a “social trust system.” And trust is a good thing.

Indeed, the social trust system is intended to curb official corruption, tackle official dereliction and improve efficiency in enforcing court decisions, as well as punish unethical behaviors of professionals such as lawyers, doctors and teachers.

Restrictions like these, however, are meant to apply only to people who have defaulted on penalty payments or who have refused to comply with court decisions. Such penalties are meted out according to Supreme Court regulations that is to say, no private scoring company or government agency (besides law enforcement institutions) are able to hand out such penalties.

Western reports on China’s social trust system sidestep the reality that there are different cultural expectations of the government in China than in other countries. China’s governance tradition of promoting good moral behavior goes back thousands of years. In recent decades, as the economy took off and people’s living standards improved dramatically, fraud and technology-enabled economic crimes proliferated as well. Given all these problems, a system that bolsters trust is seen by many Chinese citizens as necessary.

Social governance in the digital age is a global challenge. Rather than instantly dismissing China’s unconventional governance innovations, we need an open-minded discussion of the pros and cons one that is sensitive to the challenges and priorities of different cultural and political contexts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/11/29/social-credit/

I used to be critical of China, but maybe I was wrong. China is often portrayed in Western media as an evil power, but the so-called 'leader of the free world' elected Trump, sooo... yeah. Maybe it is time to rethink what we believe.

The issue with China and the West is many fold and should not be viewed with a one-size-fits-all approach.

To me, the central issue is about the gradual decline of the West and the rise and dominance of China. As a result, the West and the US, as its leader, have to do everything to curb or even eliminate such threat.

It is easy to see China’s dominance in international politics, economics, strategic alliances, military endeavours etc. This dominance directly threatens the West’s ability to rule the world on their terms. For example, the shift in allegiance across the developing world in Africa, Americas and Asia to China rather than Europe and America. Deep within this issue is the realisation that China will be and probably is the new Empire.

In response to your comments, I don't think China is as clean as they protray themselves to be. They run a tight ship and can be accused of atrocities within and outside their nation. However, the West is also guilty of similar activities within their countries and outside. The difference is that the West has the international media on their side whilst China does not.

This can be shown with when the US kills children in Afghanistan, the immediate media response is that it was justified because of the idea that there was a possible threat in the area. But when the Chinese does something, the response is a rapid and fierce attack towards them. I am not supporting such acts, I am just comparing responses.

Politics is about perception and the media helps to mould it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Wired_1800

To me, the central issue is about the gradual decline of the West and the rise and dominance of China. As a result, the West and the US, as its leader, have to do everything to curb or even eliminate such threat.

It should be pointed out at this point that the so called decline of the west would be better captured as the relative decline, there being the very large difference between the two. Equally China, whilst having an impressive economy on paper is still very very far from being dominant.

It is easy to see China’s dominance in international politics, economics, strategic alliances, military endeavours etc. This dominance directly threatens the West’s ability to rule the world on their terms. For example, the shift in allegiance across the developing world in Africa, Americas and Asia to China rather than Europe and America. Deep within this issue is the realisation that China will be and probably is the new Empire.

I would respectfully disagree with this assessment for the following reasons;
Namely in terms of international politics aside from China being a member of the P5 she is relatively irrelevant on the global stage, altough i'll grant you this is gradually changing. At present though she is involved in few aspects of the global community in any meaningful way.
As to the military and alliance points you mention i should point out China has no alliances bar that with Pakistan, at best some of her relationships can be described as a detente but they are very far from alliances indeed. to the military aspect whilst she has been modernizing impressively her military is still no match for the west on a toe for toe footing. Indeed, most of her technological advances have been specifically made in the asymmetric realm so as to blunt the US's strategic advantages [e.g. ASBM, AA, ASM etc.]. At any rate the fact of the matter is aside from being able to do a bit of bullying and [if she were so inclined] carpet bomb her neighbors with IRBM's China is a military minnow and lacks the capabilities to do much more than be a spoiler.

At any rate though I would reiterate my remark on alliances in that China has none to speak of bar Pakistan and this is especially true in the 3rd world as well they have absolutely nothing to offer China in an alliance. What they can be called though is strategic bargaining chips [e.g. Djibouti] or simple mercantilism such as with her building of infrastructure and exploitation of natural resources. Now i make no comment on the morality of these acts but as far as facts of the matter go China still has a long way to go from being a simple spoiler to being a genuine peer competitor in the world [as opposed to her immediate backyard].
Original post by Napp
It should be pointed out at this point that the so called decline of the west would be better captured as the relative decline, there being the very large difference between the two. Equally China, whilst having an impressive economy on paper is still very very far from being dominant.

I would respectfully disagree with this assessment for the following reasons;
Namely in terms of international politics aside from China being a member of the P5 she is relatively irrelevant on the global stage, altough i'll grant you this is gradually changing. At present though she is involved in few aspects of the global community in any meaningful way.
As to the military and alliance points you mention i should point out China has no alliances bar that with Pakistan, at best some of her relationships can be described as a detente but they are very far from alliances indeed. to the military aspect whilst she has been modernizing impressively her military is still no match for the west on a toe for toe footing. Indeed, most of her technological advances have been specifically made in the asymmetric realm so as to blunt the US's strategic advantages [e.g. ASBM, AA, ASM etc.]. At any rate the fact of the matter is aside from being able to do a bit of bullying and [if she were so inclined] carpet bomb her neighbors with IRBM's China is a military minnow and lacks the capabilities to do much more than be a spoiler.

At any rate though I would reiterate my remark on alliances in that China has none to speak of bar Pakistan and this is especially true in the 3rd world as well they have absolutely nothing to offer China in an alliance. What they can be called though is strategic bargaining chips [e.g. Djibouti] or simple mercantilism such as with her building of infrastructure and exploitation of natural resources. Now i make no comment on the morality of these acts but as far as facts of the matter go China still has a long way to go from being a simple spoiler to being a genuine peer competitor in the world [as opposed to her immediate backyard].

You have made valid points.
Reply 11
Original post by Wired_1800
You have made valid points.

Sorry one last one i almost forgot, although not so much a point as food for thought. China spends exponentially more on domestic security [i.e. beating up the locals] than it does on its armed forces proper - i would be very interested to see what her military would look like if they moved from a rebellion crushing role to a more expansionist one.
Original post by Napp
Sorry one last one i almost forgot, although not so much a point as food for thought. China spends exponentially more on domestic security [i.e. beating up the locals] than it does on its armed forces proper - i would be very interested to see what her military would look like if they moved from a rebellion crushing role to a more expansionist one.

One of the issues that China faces is its large population, hence why they have to spend resources in controlling them. No Western nation can manage more than 1 billion people and try to keep the peace. Even the US with its 300 million people are plagued with daily violence.

To your question, if China decides to focus on international engagement more than local engagement, the West wont be able to compete. For example, China is already being attacked for “buying” Africa because most nations there are turning towards Chinese investment than Western investment.

There is a reason why the US had to get the help from China to tame North Korea. Before then, all Western “power” had no impact on NK until China stepped in.

I think China is quietly and gradually amassing the power and influence needed to shift global power. People are even now talking about having the Chinese Yuan as the world’s reserve currency which, if accepted, would mark the end of the Western-led monetary order.
(edited 5 years ago)

Completely agree with you only a fool would think this is a good idea.

FFS it’s literally a black mirror episode
China cares about the environment?

Care to look at a photo of Shanghai or a Beijing?
Original post by Andrew97

That's a side effect of rapid industrialisation, and the West effectively exporting their industries to China in order to look less polluting while still importing the products and causing the pollution.

Industrialisation never occurred in any nation without an initial surge of pollution. Despite this, China has made great strides in reducing its carbon footprint.
Original post by paul514
Completely agree with you only a fool would think this is a good idea.

FFS it’s literally a black mirror episode

Well it is nice to see that this crazy leftist is now calling for Stalin (or Mao) like terror so we can see the true colours of the vile socialist.

It is very laughable to see them try and defend China but also just as despicable as defending Nazi Germany, I hope the Chinese people rise up an destroy the corrupt government.
That's a side effect of rapid industrialisation, and the West effectively exporting their industries to China in order to look less polluting while still importing the products and causing the pollution.

Industrialisation never occurred in any nation without an initial surge of pollution. Despite this, China has made great strides in reducing its carbon footprint.

But China is producing these products causing the pollution.
Original post by Andrew97

China at the very least now admits that AGW is real and has taken steps toward massively reducing their carbon emissions and becoming a world leader in green technologies while Trump continually refuses to get with the programme.
Reply 19
Well it is nice to see that this crazy leftist is now calling for Stalin (or Mao) like terror so we can see the true colours of the vile socialist.

It is very laughable to see them try and defend China but also just as despicable as defending Nazi Germany, I hope the Chinese people rise up an destroy the corrupt government.

doubt it they seem pretty happy and due to the measures the government takes to curb deviancy, they are not as susceptible to external trolling operations as the west is with its polarising political climate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending