The Student Room Group

The A - E of Sixth Form

Hello all, thank you for taking the time to have a look at this blog. Here we can discuss anything education related (or anything at all).

This can be a place to talk to each other about experiences, advice, or just help each other out.

I'm currently a sixth form student, studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Electronics. I'm hoping to get at least 3 A's, but we'll just see how that goes.

At GCSE, I took the mandatory Maths and English, along with Tripple Science, Further Maths, Product Design, Computer Science, Geography and History.

I will be attempting to make 1 or 2 posts every week (starting from next week).

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you are looking forward to this as much as I am.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best of luck!! :rave:
So, for my first real post on this, I thought I would share some things about me (in case anyone's interested). My name is Jake and I currently go to a Sixth form college (as I mentioned in the last post). I generally can get decent grades, however, I do have to work for them, I can't just do nothing and get all As.

In my spare time, I play the guitar, and I also enjoy playing video games. I have a job working at McDonald's which gets me a bit of money.

Other than that, there isn't really much else to say about me.

As mentioned before, I will try to keep to 1 or 2 posts per week, and we'll see how that goes. I'll try to post about general things (not just to do with school and college) such as study tips (what I do to study) and time management (something which I have not always been too good at, but I personally think I'm improving).

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I'll catch up soon,
Jake
Original post by but_why_not
Hello all, thank you for taking the time to have a look at this blog. Here we can discuss anything education related (or anything at all).

This can be a place to talk to each other about experiences, advice, or just help each other out.

I'm currently a sixth form student, studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Electronics. I'm hoping to get at least 3 A's, but we'll just see how that goes.

At GCSE, I took the mandatory Maths and English, along with Tripple Science, Further Maths, Product Design, Computer Science, Geography and History.

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you are looking forward to this as much as I am.

We're doing very similar subjects. I don't do electronics. Maths makes me want to cry now though. :rofl:

Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking? What did you get in your GCSEs? (particularly Further Maths)
Original post by _Mia101
Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking? What did you get in your GCSEs? (particularly Further Maths)

In Normal Maths, I got a grade 9 (with Edexcel) and in further maths, I got a B (with AQA). It was one of those exams that was in the very last week, and I'm sure it had out a bit more work in then I might have got a slightly higher grade, but I was able to do it for A-Level anyway.
Original post by Serenity-M
We're doing very similar subjects. I don't do electronics. Maths makes me want to cry now though. :rofl:

Haha, I know how you feel about maths! For me, it depends on the topic we're doing (some are much worse than others) *cough* Complex Numbers
Haha, I know how you feel about maths! For me, it depends on the topic we're doing (some are much worse than others) *cough* Complex Numbers

AAAHhh Complex numbers!!!! :shakecane: They are just deceptive. Argand diagrams just get too confusing too. It seems simple but then they start mashing it with trig and idk what I'm doing any more. What options are you doing?
AAAHhh Complex numbers!!!! :shakecane: They are just deceptive. Argand diagrams just get too confusing too. It seems simple but then they start mashing it with trig and idk what I'm doing any more. What options are you doing?

if you mean what subjects am I studying at sixth form, then Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Electronics. If you mean something else, then I don't know what you mean, sorry. What about you?
if you mean what subjects am I studying at sixth form, then Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Electronics. If you mean something else, then I don't know what you mean, sorry. What about you?

I think @Serenity-M was talking about which modules you are doing.

Also, if you have time can you @ me ?
Thanks!

Original post by _Mia101
I think @Serenity-M was talking about which modules you are doing.

Also, if you have time can you @ me ?
Thanks!

Yeah, I was talking about chapters in FM :rofl: but we may be doing different exam boards. I'm also doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Do you know if you want to go to uni/what you want to study? (Thanks Mia. :biggrin:)
Yeah, I was talking about chapters in FM :rofl: but we may be doing different exam boards. I'm also doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Do you know if you want to go to uni/what you want to study? (Thanks Mia. :biggrin:)

You're welcome!:h:

Cool I'm doing all of the same GCSEs that you've already done except history and geography! :tongue:

Ahh I see. I'm not too sure what we will be doing in the future, but so far we have done Graph Theory/Network algorithms, Complex numbers, roots of polynomials, finite series, critical path analysis, and linear programming.

In terms of the modules that we are doing, there is Pure maths, Decision, and mechanics.

What exam board are you doing?
Original post by Bill Nye
Cool I'm doing all of the same GCSEs that you've already done except history and geography! :tongue:

Well, best of luck to you! are you in year 10 or 11?
Well, best of luck to you! are you in year 10 or 11?

Year 10
Ahh I see. I'm not too sure what we will be doing in the future, but so far we have done Graph Theory/Network algorithms, Complex numbers, roots of polynomials, finite series, critical path analysis, and linear programming.

In terms of the modules that we are doing, there is Pure maths, Decision, and mechanics.

What exam board are you doing?

A nice, edexcel, same modules. We've done Graph theory, algorithms, route theory, complex numbers and matricies and series. My mind is blown by maths. :rofl: Which is your favourite out of your subjects?
A nice, edexcel, same modules. We've done Graph theory, algorithms, route theory, complex numbers and matricies and series. My mind is blown by maths. :rofl: Which is your favourite out of your subjects?

I think my favourite would be electronics as it is something that I had never done at school before.
For this week's post, I was wondering what all you guys think about time management and how good you are at it.

Personally, I was never very good at managing my time effectively. I would always manage to get work done when it needed to be, but sometimes it was a little rushed. During the few months leading up to my GCSEs, I managed to work it out better, but I think it would have been helpful to know some of the techniques earlier.

That's why I will give a list of what I did and how well it worked, hopefully something you might find helpful.

1) One of my problems when revising for mock exams was that I would spend hours on the subjects that I liked, and not long enough on the ones I didn't like (which for the most part, were the ones I wasn't so good at). To fix this issue, what I did was make a series of small cards, and put one subject on each. Put them all into a cup, and take one out at random. Then spend a good amount of time on the subject. When you are done, put it in a different cup. This way, you won't be revising the same thing all the time. Obviously, if you have a different exam the next day, revise for that, which brings me onto number 2.

2) Don't just revise for the subject who's exam you have the next day. Yes, it is important to focus on that, but you can't spend the whole of the day before just focusing on that, as you will find yourself getting fed up of it and unmotivated.

3) Make a list for each subject, and order the topics for that subject in order of confidence. If you are more confident on that topic (you know it really well) then put it at the bottom of the list. If you aren't so confident, then put it near the top. Then, when you come to revise, focus on the topics near the top

4) Don't spend all your time revising. If you do this, then the chances are that you will become really un-motivated as you know that when you have finished doing what you're doing, you will just do more revision. The way I tend to do it is 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. Take some time to do something you enjoy, such as play some games or read a book.

5) If your school offers them, attend revision sessions. Although you may think that they might not help that much, they really do. The teachers can explain things that might not be in textbooks or if there is something in the textbook that you don't understand, the chances are that your teacher will understand it and will be able to explain it in a different way.

It goes without saying that these techniques will not be any good to everybody, but they are what I did, and they helped me to get the grades I wanted without having to spend every spare second revising. If anyone else has any other suggestions and things that help them, then please do share them, as I'm sure everyone else, as well as me, would love to hear them!

Thanks for reading all the way to the end!
For this week's post, I was wondering what all you guys think about time management and how good you are at it.

Personally, I was never very good at managing my time effectively. I would always manage to get work done when it needed to be, but sometimes it was a little rushed. During the few months leading up to my GCSEs, I managed to work it out better, but I think it would have been helpful to know some of the techniques earlier.

That's why I will give a list of what I did and how well it worked, hopefully something you might find helpful.

1) One of my problems when revising for mock exams was that I would spend hours on the subjects that I liked, and not long enough on the ones I didn't like (which for the most part, were the ones I wasn't so good at). To fix this issue, what I did was make a series of small cards, and put one subject on each. Put them all into a cup, and take one out at random. Then spend a good amount of time on the subject. When you are done, put it in a different cup. This way, you won't be revising the same thing all the time. Obviously, if you have a different exam the next day, revise for that, which brings me onto number 2.

2) Don't just revise for the subject who's exam you have the next day. Yes, it is important to focus on that, but you can't spend the whole of the day before just focusing on that, as you will find yourself getting fed up of it and unmotivated.

3) Make a list for each subject, and order the topics for that subject in order of confidence. If you are more confident on that topic (you know it really well) then put it at the bottom of the list. If you aren't so confident, then put it near the top. Then, when you come to revise, focus on the topics near the top

4) Don't spend all your time revising. If you do this, then the chances are that you will become really un-motivated as you know that when you have finished doing what you're doing, you will just do more revision. The way I tend to do it is 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. Take some time to do something you enjoy, such as play some games or read a book.

5) If your school offers them, attend revision sessions. Although you may think that they might not help that much, they really do. The teachers can explain things that might not be in textbooks or if there is something in the textbook that you don't understand, the chances are that your teacher will understand it and will be able to explain it in a different way.

It goes without saying that these techniques will not be any good to everybody, but they are what I did, and they helped me to get the grades I wanted without having to spend every spare second revising. If anyone else has any other suggestions and things that help them, then please do share them, as I'm sure everyone else, as well as me, would love to hear them!

Thanks for reading all the way to the end!

Really helpful, thanks. :biggrin: I like the first idea esspecially. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending