The Student Room Group

BSc and Mphys

Sooooo im about to apply for uni and i am currently doing my a levels. I am very confused bout if i applied for Mphys and got the offer but at the end of alevels i dont get the grades required for Mphys but they are enough for Bsc so can i switch my choice to the bsc eve though i havent applied for it or what? im really confused
most unis let you decide at the end of year 2 whether you want to continue onto the MPhys or do the BSc. You can only continue onto the MPhys if your grades at uni are good enough

unis vary as to whether someone on the BSc can change to MPhys part way through

It's worth applying for the M Phys if you are unsure cos you will then get the funding for 4 years - you can drop down to BSc later if you want to
Reply 2
This is something that can end up differing from uni to uni. Some unis will have different entry requirements for BSc and MPhys but most don’t in my experience. Functionally, BSc and MPhys will be the same for the first 2 years (3 in Scotland) and then differ slightly come the senior honours year. How they differ will vary by uni. It’s generally advisable to apply for the MPhys if you think there’s a chance you might want to do it as transferring down to the BSc is often easier from a funding perspective than it is going the other way. If you’re unsure or it’s unclear how it works at certain universities then it’s worth asking them if it makes any difference what you apply for.

If you look at the BSc and MPhys for my university (the University of Strathclyde) for example, you’ll see that they both require BBB in A levels for first year. What you apply for makes no difference to your application here though this may not always be true at other unis.
Reply 3
Original post by 2childmum
most unis let you decide at the end of year 2 whether you want to continue onto the MPhys or do the BSc. You can only continue onto the MPhys if your grades at uni are good enough

unis vary as to whether someone on the BSc can change to MPhys part way through

It's worth applying for the M Phys if you are unsure cos you will then get the funding for 4 years - you can drop down to BSc later if you want to

Thanks that really helped
Reply 4
Original post by qno2
This is something that can end up differing from uni to uni. Some unis will have different entry requirements for BSc and MPhys but most don’t in my experience. Functionally, BSc and MPhys will be the same for the first 2 years (3 in Scotland) and then differ slightly come the senior honours year. How they differ will vary by uni. It’s generally advisable to apply for the MPhys if you think there’s a chance you might want to do it as transferring down to the BSc is often easier from a funding perspective than it is going the other way. If you’re unsure or it’s unclear how it works at certain universities then it’s worth asking them if it makes any difference what you apply for.

If you look at the BSc and MPhys for my university (the University of Strathclyde) for example, you’ll see that they both require BBB in A levels for first year. What you apply for makes no difference to your application here though this may not always be true at other unis.

Thnx that helped me decide whether or not I want to MPhys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending