History Students grade 8+: I know you're out there... Watch

Politics Fanatic
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm currently in year 10 and I've been doing my GCSEs for a year and a bit now. In history, I am struggling to push my grade up from a 7 (which I'm still really happy with) but wondered if anyone could help? I'm doing a topic 2 test on EDEXCEL Early Elizabethan England soon, so any tips of how to secure the top marks on a 16 marker would be greatly appreciated!
Also, can we get a 12 or 16 marker on smaller parts of the topic like the Babington plot on it's own, e.g. Explain why the Babington plot failed (12 marks) or is this a too small area to be quizzed on with a longer question?
Thanks so much for your help!!
xx
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Politics Fanatic)
I'm currently in year 10 and I've been doing my GCSEs for a year and a bit now. In history, I am struggling to push my grade up from a 7 (which I'm still really happy with) but wondered if anyone could help? I'm doing a topic 2 test on EDEXCEL Early Elizabethan England soon, so any tips of how to secure the top marks on a 16 marker would be greatly appreciated!
Also, can we get a 12 or 16 marker on smaller parts of the topic like the Babington plot on it's own, e.g. Explain why the Babington plot failed (12 marks) or is this a too small area to be quizzed on with a longer question?
xx
Look at the spec and the mark schemes available from the exam board website. It sows you what they score for.
Learn how they want you to answer the question and then practice.
There are sometimes youtube videos in this.
Harold Saxon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As much as I'd love to help you, we didn't cover early Elizabethan England.
Yr_11_MATHS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
xx
I got an 8 (2 MARKS OFF A 9) so i guess you're lucky your thread popped up on my screen. Basically with the 16 marker, from what I remember it was 4 marks for SPAG? So ensure that you've used capital words correctly and punctuation. Secondly a nice intro stating all your reasons for why it failed etc. with the points you will make in the paragraphs that you will write. For each paragraph use PEA or PEE and write a f*ck load of evidence and explain how it lead to the plot failing etc. The paragraph which you can explain best.. i.e the best reasons, write "(your reason) was the underlying reason why the plot failed"... and finally end with the conclusion and make sure it's based around the paragraph for which you said was the "underlying reason" and mention the other factors as "contributary"....

Hope my tips help

Enjoy your grade 8+
Last edited by Yr_11_MATHS; 3 months ago
Yr_11_MATHS
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
xx
If you're studying Nazi Germany, crime and punishment and Cold war then I can help as well
StressedLife
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
xx
I got an A in Early Tudors for AS therefore, I guess I can help you.

Ensure to structure your essay exactly how they want it.
Ensure that your essay is a HISTORICAL essay not toilet paper.
Ensure that you use proper SPAG.
Ensure that you use figures/stats wherever you can to back up your points.
Ensure to look stuff up for yourself.

I absolutely LOVE tudors, absolute favourite.
Yr_11_MATHS
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
xx
Also to answer your second question, it's either about how a plot failed or why Mary was a threat to Elizabeth etc.
Maddymacrae
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
We did Elizabeth and the main thing I did to revise for that was make a mind map for each plot/ event e.g the babington plot or any rebellions etc And stuck them all to my wall to quickly look at. For all my history topics I made flashcards specific to the 16 markers- I would pick a random topic then each flashcard would be a different paragraph , and I would fill it with any info I could remember that would be relevant in that paragraph! Seemed to work for me as I got an 8 ( not bragging lol) hope that helps
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Cakecupcake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
xx
You 100% can get a big marks question on something like the babington plot. eg in the actual exam we got a 16 marker on how exploration changed, and a specimen paper had a 12 marker on the throckmorton plot
Politics Fanatic
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thanks so much everyone, better get revising!
Yr_11_MATHS
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks so much everyone, better get revising!
I didn't actually start revising until Easter... I was predicted a grade 4 for history but I got an 8 so I guess I was the reason why my teacher kept her Job cos my class was literally full of retards....

Good luck mate, you will get good grades if you learn the content well and you MUST be good at explaining things in ur essays and try not to waffle. Another trick I had up my sleeve was to make bullsh*t evidence like in my Nazi germany test I can't remember if it was a mock but I made up a bullsh*t figures (ensure that it isn't too far fetched) to do with hyperinflation...
StressedLife
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Yr_11_MATHS)
I didn't actually start revising until Easter... I was predicted a grade 4 for history but I got an 8 so I guess I was the reason why my teacher kept her Job cos my class was literally full of retards....

Good luck mate, you will get good grades if you learn the content well and you MUST be good at explaining things in ur essays and try not to waffle. Another trick I had up my sleeve was to make bullsh*t evidence like in my Nazi germany test I can't remember if it was a mock but I made up a bullsh*t figures (ensure that it isn't too far fetched) to do with hyperinflation...
Nah, they wouldn’t do anything to the teacher lmao. They understand the child is hugely to blame for poor results.
sherlanddris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you're studying Nazi Germany, crime and punishment and Cold war then I can help as well
Sorry to hop onto someone else's thread but I'm doing Cold War !
Yr_11_MATHS
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sherlanddris)
Sorry to hop onto someone else's thread but I'm doing Cold War !
Cool... I remember most of what i did last year so if you need any help then do reply to this or send me a PM
sherlanddris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Cool... I remember most of what i did last year so if you need any help then do reply to this or send me a PM
Thanks so much!
s_k_u123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, do you remember what the questions for Elizabeth edexcel was because for my mocks i didn't get the 2018 paper and i would like to practice more questions.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by s_k_u123)
Hi, do you remember what the questions for Elizabeth edexcel was because for my mocks i didn't get the 2018 paper and i would like to practice more questions.
If its not on the exam board website then they havent made it available for a reason. Stop asking for details of 2018 exams please as your threads and posts will be removed for being against community rules.

If you want practice questions then look at old papers, other exam boards and revision books. It looks like you are simply truing to cheat and gain an unfair advantage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads