Does anyone else take ages to write essays? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I remember being in high school and having to do those controlled assessment essays for English and how long it would take me just to write a simple paragraph whilst everyone else would be on their second page. I was hoping this problem would go away by the time I started university but it hasn't. I have an essay due in a week and I've spent the past 3 days pretty much just staring at a blank word document trying to think of how I'm actually going to write this thing :argh:
🦁Road to A** 🦁
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I remember being in high school and having to do those controlled assessment essays for English and how long it would take me just to write a simple paragraph whilst everyone else would be on their second page. I was hoping this problem would go away by the time I started university but it hasn't. I have an essay due in a week and I've spent the past 3 days pretty much just staring at a blank word document trying to think of how I'm actually going to write this thing :argh:
Make a plan (that is solid) and follow it through (I used to make long essays as well)
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes.
I don't have any problem starting or following an essay plan.
My problem is sticking to word counts; I tend to exceed them and produce 25-30 page essays when the limit is 5-10 pages.
apple32
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Yes.I don't have any problem starting or following an essay plan.
My problem is sticking to word counts; I tend to exceed them and produce 25-30 page essays when the limit is 5-10 pages.
Even though you do not have a problem creating a plan for your essays, I think you just need to be more precise with it. In your plan, do you tell yourself that you need to write x number of paragraphs for each part of the essay to come up with the required number of pages? This helps a lot. If you do do that and you still keep writing beyond the required pages, you can have someone else (who is good at writing essays) proofread it and give you some pointers. They can tell you what parts you need and which parts are just extraneous. You can also help yourself by stepping away from the finished essay for a day or two, then come back to it. Read over each part of the essay, look for parts that are not essential. What types of essays are you being asked to write? If you are trying to compare/contrast something and you have 10 paragraphs just explaining how A and B are similar, something in there is just superfluous. Maybe you are using more examples than you need. Just pick the three-five examples that are the strongest. Also, when you turn in the 25+ page essay, do your professors leave comments about what could be left out?
Last edited by apple32; 10 months ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by apple32)
Even though you do not have a problem creating a plan for your essays, I think you just need to be more precise with it. In your plan, do you tell yourself that you need to write x number of paragraphs for each part of the essay to come up with the required number of pages? This helps a lot. If you do do that and you still keep writing beyond the required pages, you can have someone else (who is good at writing essays) proofread it and give you some pointers. They can tell you what parts you need and which parts are just extraneous. You can also help yourself by stepping away from the finished essay for a day or two, then come back to it. Read over each part of the essay, look for parts that are not essential. What types of essays are you being asked to write? If you are trying to compare/contrast something and you have 10 paragraphs just explaining how A and B are similar, something in there is just superfluous. Maybe you are using more examples than you need. Just pick the three-five examples that are the strongest. Also, when you turn in the 25+ page essay, do your professors leave comments about what could be left out?
Theology essays analyzing and evaluating differences in perspective/approach.
Hardly any comments at all, I suspect they only read the first five pages and final two. Marks are always high.
Most lecturers act like they think I'm a workaholic zealot or great genius essay machine - "take it easy" or "don't start on the readings until after the break".
I have rather a long winded rambling style of writing and do tend to use a lot of examples accompanied by pegex for each one.
I also list beyond the rule of three, which makes my sentences even longer.
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Yes.
I don't have any problem starting or following an essay plan.
Lol same. I once exceeded the word count by 400%. Shortening it down took longer than actually writing it.

@Op I do find it easier to write when I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about. On topics I genuinely am interested in, it would take me days to craft one paragraph!
username4316350
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
haha I had an insane editing time on my uni essays but that was just how it was. i typically went 1.5x count and cutting and referencing up alone took 10 hours
esrever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Essays give me anxiety :O

Anyways did you actually take English at uni or is this essay on some other topic?
Craft321
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
My essay was about the development of the telecommunication technology. So I ordered it here click this link. I did not have time to do this job cause I work.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Craft321)
My essay was about the development of the telecommunication technology. So I ordered it here click this link. I did not have time to do this job cause I work.
I'd rather not be a cheat thanks.
HeartBlink
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Same
Essays stress me out so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads