Turn on thread page Beta

Taylor's sixth form experience (GYG) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm Taylor.

I'm new to posting on TSR, obviously, so it might just take a little while for me to get used to this format. I'm currently in my first year of sixth form (Year 12), and I'm studying Biology, Psychology and Sociology; lots of -ologies, I know! I'm also taking an EPQ. :grin:

I'm looking forward to posting on this blog, as it will allow to express my feelings and thoughts whenever I need to. I've always been quite interested in blogging in general, so this is a pretty good way to do it. It should be pretty fun writing about and focusing on myself for once, but I'm not quite sure I'll feel the same when it comes to writing my personal statement! :giggle:

My hope is that blogging on here will motivate me to stop being lazy and just get things done! :lazy: Procrastination is a habit that I tend to have, especially when I'm feeling very stressed and just want to escape for a little while, so this blog may help with the stress and make me feel less alone. I'm not going to complain 25/8, but I won't pretend to be perfect or claim that I never feel stressed either. It's all about finding that balance! :yep:

I've been having a pretty enjoyable experience so far, a few ups and downs but that's quite normal. A Levels don't seem that different from GCSEs yet (which is probably because I took the new GCSEs, all thanks to Michael Gove(!)), but there's still plenty of time for that to change. I might share my GCSE grades at some point, if anyone is interested and if I feel comfortable enough with sharing them. I'm hoping to achieve AAB at the end of Year 13, but I would absolutely love to achieve higher grades! :thumbsup:

My favourite things about A Levels so far are that I have a lot more freedom with my schedule (i.e. more study breaks, fewer subjects, shorter days, etc.), I've met new people, and I'm learning so many different and interesting things in my three subjects. It also doesn't hurt that I am no longer restricted in what I can eat for lunch (McDonald's may just bankrupt me!) and when I can use my phone. The only thing I'm not enjoying is the compulsory study sessions that my sixth form implemented a few weeks ago. I much prefer studying at home, it's so much more comfortable and enjoyable! :unimpressed:

Although I'm not quite sure what exactly I want to post on here yet, it will probably be a mix of my feelings and emotions throughout sixth form, study plans, revision related posts (maybe some techniques), any tips or concerns I have, and hopefully some photos too, as well as anything else I decide to post. I'll try to post regular updates, but I can't make any promises. Sixth form can be pretty chaotic, but it should be a little bit calmer closer to Christmas, because everyone just wants to relax. :tree:

This was quite a lengthy introductory post, I apologise! Kudos to anyone who has actually managed to read through it all, you deserve a medal or cookies at the very least. :cookie: I'd be quite surprised if anyone actually was reading, considering the large number of entries for GYG this year. If you have any questions or thoughts, feel free to share them and I'll try my best to help!

Goodbye for now! :heart:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hello:wavey: welcome to gyg:woo:
    you've got a lovely a-level mix- a few friends at my old school are doing that exact combo:yep:
    whoa kudos to you for finding a Christmas tree tsrmoji:gah: I need to find that one:excited:
    Best of luck and have a good week:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    hello:wavey: welcome to gyg:woo:
    you've got a lovely a-level mix- a few friends at my old school are doing that exact combo:yep:
    whoa kudos to you for finding a Christmas tree tsrmoji:gah: I need to find that one:excited:
    Best of luck and have a good week:hugs:
    Hi! Thank you, I'm enjoying it so far.

I think I've made a pretty good choice so far, it took a lot of time for me to finally make a decision!
    There are so many tsrmojis! Quite surprised I managed to find it tbh. :laugh:
    Thank you! Hope you have a good week too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tdomala)
    Hi! Thank you, I'm enjoying it so far.

I think I've made a pretty good choice so far, it took a lot of time for me to finally make a decision!
    There are so many tsrmojis! Quite surprised I managed to find it tbh. :laugh:
    Thank you! Hope you have a good week too.
    that's great:woo:
    :lol: same here, I changed my mind so many times before results day
    I know! Just wait till you reach the point where you've memorised the bb code for most of them:sadnod:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    that's great:woo:
    :lol: same here, I changed my mind so many times before results day
    I know! Just wait till you reach the point where you've memorised the bb code for most of them:sadnod:
    If I found choosing my A Levels difficult, I'm curious to see how I'll deal with choosing what to study at uni, or if I even want to go at all! Ah, decisions, decisions.
    I'd be very surprised if I did reach that point, it seems almost impossible right now.

ReputationRep:
    4/12/18 Update - Surprisingly productive!

It's very late (or early, depending on how you look at it!), and I should realistically be getting some sleep, but I thought I would update you all on what I've achieved recently. I know sleep deprivation generally isn't the best method for gaining high grades, but it's going to take some time to improve my sleeping habits and I may as well use this late night to my advantage by posting on here.

I only had one lesson yesterday afternoon (Psychology - 2 hours), and fortunately it seemed to go by a little quicker than usual. Maybe it's because of the festive season, or maybe it's because the lesson wasn't too heavy on information, but regardless of the reason the lesson was pretty good! I had one of my datapoints for that subject in today's lesson (on Research Methods), but it was primarily multiple choice questions, which I very much appreciate.

After it ended, I waited around for 30 minutes (I ended up sitting near the window of my sixth form's cafe and chatting with a friend) before attending my study session, as it unfortunately didn't begin straight after my lesson. The study session was somewhat enjoyable, because I brought my laptop with me and finished my Sociology homework for the next day, as well as replying to emails and doing other such things. However, I still maintain that I would be much better off studying at home, it's so much better!

When I finally got home, I rested for a little while by watching YouTube videos and talking to friends. Not the most productive thing to do, I'm aware, but it's important to not constantly be in work mode and actually allow yourself time to just chill out and have fun. All work and no play will make me go completely insane! Slight paraphrasing there, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Eventually, I began studying again: Biology this time. I have my second datapoint for that subject on Wednesday (covering Chapters 3 and 4), so I've been looking over the mindmaps I've made previously, as well as answering questions to apply that knowledge. I only seem to be making a few minor mistakes, nothing too crazy, so hopefully it goes well for me! I know that other students in my class haven't revised at all, and whilst I can understand and sympathise with them on that, I would be worried if I were to go into this test completely unprepared.

Just incase anyone is curious as to which exam boards I'm on for each of my three subjects, I'm on AQA for Biology and Sociology, and OCR for Psychology. I'm also on AQA for EPQ. The number of subjects using AQA as their exam board is just slightly worrying, considering the track record of AQA when it comes to what they include in their exams, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

As it's finally December, I'm playing Christmas music almost 24/7! :tree: That said, I have also found myself playing a strange combination of music recently, not just Christmas songs. Oasis, Carly Rae Jepsen, 90s music in general, some 80s music, the Weeknd, Adele, Panic! At The Disco, lots of indie music: the list goes on! It depends on my mood really. I've also watched more TV than usual (mostly due to 'I'm a Celebrity' being on in the UK once again), and played quite a few video games in my downtime.

Oh dear, this is an incredibly long update! :yikes: Apologies, I just had a lot to talk about and would have struggled to shorten it. Enjoy your week everyone, goodbye for now! :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with Year 12! :rave:
    Hope your sleeping schedule gets sorted soon

it's [s]tree[/s]
    did you know that if you roll over a tsrmoji with your mouse, it will show you the bbcode for it? :gah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nyxnko_)
    Good luck with Year 12! :rave:
    Hope your sleeping schedule gets sorted soon

it's [s]tree[/s]
    did you know that if you roll over a tsrmoji with your mouse, it will show you the bbcode for it? :gah:
    Thank you!
    I hope so too, but I'm pretty used to not getting much sleep now, so it tends to not bother me all that much. Might not be great for my health, but hey, there's a lot worse that could be happening to it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    I hope so too, but I'm pretty used to not getting much sleep now, so it tends to not bother me all that much. Might not be great for my health, but hey, there's a lot worse that could be happening to it.
    Fair enough. And yeah, a little sleep deprivation isn't too bad, compared to some other things :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. And yeah, a little sleep deprivation isn't too bad, compared to some other things :nah:

Exactly, sleep deprivation won't cause me too much harm, as long as it doesn't get too extreme.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If I found choosing my A Levels difficult, I'm curious to see how I'll deal with choosing what to study at uni, or if I even want to go at all! Ah, decisions, decisions.
    I'd be very surprised if I did reach that point, it seems almost impossible right now.
    that is my exact worry, I'll be sat in one of those what do you want to do in the future meetings with my head of year and they'll ask about the future and I'll just sit there, thinking, for a long awkward silence:lol:
    :hugs: hehe

it's [s]tree[/s]
    so i've wasted hours scrolling through the page with them on for the past year or so?:facepalm:

ReputationRep:

so i've wasted hours scrolling through the page with them on for the past year or so?:facepalm:
    yeah :giggle: (i've done that too tho )

ReputationRep:
    8/12/18 Update - Busy bee!

Hi again everyone!

Apologies for the lack of updates. I've been feeling quite tired and unwell recently, so I've rested quite a lot, but have also had a lot of homework to do! I haven't been able to find any time to update until now, unfortunately.

On Thursday evening, I attended my induction day for the K+ programme, which was a wonderful experience. I was quite nervous at first, as I'm quite an introverted person and there were a lot of new people there. I don't hate social situations completely, but it's not fun trying to balance adjusting to a new social situation and being professional. I wanted to make a good impression, but tried not to stress too much. Overall, it was amazing and I'm so glad to have been given this opportunity!

I went shopping today with one of my best friends, which I very much enjoyed. I didn't go crazy, just got a few beauty products, clothes and something from Lush! Oh, and went for a meal in Nando's, as you do. The only downside about today was waking up so early. Usually, I'm lucky if I wake up before 12am on the weekend, but I had to wake up around 7 today so that we could avoid the crowds and enjoy shopping more. Apart from that, it was great!

There's not much else to update you all on, as I've mostly been focusing on homework and such. Hopefully the updates will be more interesting when it gets nearer to Christmas! No promises, though.

Goodbye for now!

ReputationRep:
    How old are you Taylor
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabilahhh)
    How old are you Taylor
    I'm 17, and you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, and you?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    10/12/18 Update - Rest and relaxation

Hello!

Wow, I'm making more frequent updates? It's unheard of!

All joking aside, I'm happy to be writing another post. Today has been quite a chill day, as I only had one lesson (Psychology), plus my study session after that. I still maintain that I'd be more productive at home, but alas, the decision is out of my control. Also, I haven't had to do much homework today, as the majority of that was completed this weekend, which is great! Who knows, I may even be able to get a nap. Probably not, but it's a nice thought!

I put up my Christmas tree in my room yesterday, and began decorating it today. It looks okay for now, but I might have to think about getting new decorations or rearranging the current decorations at some point. Honestly, I'll probably leave that until Friday, because I will have way more free time on my hands then. The Year 11 students from my school will be coming for their taster day, so we get Friday off, yay!

Today, I've been listening to a lot of Christmas music, to get myself in the festive spirit. Only 15 more days until Christmas! If I'm being really honest though, I've been listening to it since way back in October. Some of my friends even started listening to Christmas music in September, so maybe I'm not that crazy.

I hope everyone enjoys their week. We've almost made it to the end of this term, we can do it! Don't give up now, it's almost over.

Goodbye for now!

ReputationRep:
    Glad you've relaxed and had a rest! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Glad you've relaxed and had a rest! :woo:
    Thank you! I hope you're having a great week.

ReputationRep:
    11/12/18 Update - An unexpected afternoon update?

Good afternoon, everyone!

It feels quite strange to be posting an update this early in the day, as I usually end up posting them veryyy late at night (when I'm supposed to be asleep). However, I have a lot of free time spare, as I do every Tuesday. I have two lessons today: Sociology (in the morning, which I've already had) and Psychology (later this afternoon). This leaves me with a lovely break of around 3 hours, which is perfect if you ask me! Unless I have something planned with friends, like eating lunch at McDonald's, I usually end up making my way home and spending time doing any homework or extra studying, or even relaxing in the very rare case that I don't actually have any work to do. Oh, the joys of A Levels!

I finished my write-up for the Biology practical on osmosis I had two weeks ago, as that's due tomorrow and I wanted to just make a few more adjustments. I don't really have much else to do, apart from perhaps doing a little studying, but I might take a short nap seeing as I have a lot of time left over. I'll see how it goes I guess.

This update is definitely a lot shorter, but seeing as I'm only halfway through the day, there isn't much to talk about yet. If there is anything you would like me to discuss or any questions you have, please feel free to reply with them.

Goodbye for now!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.