The Student Room Group

Taylor's sixth form experience (GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tdomala
Thank you! I hope you're having a great week.

Thank you :hugs: You too!
A 3 hour break in between lessons sounds so good :gah:
Reply 21
Original post by nyxnko_
Thank you :hugs: You too!
A 3 hour break in between lessons sounds so good :gah:

No problem! Thank you!
It's amazing, I'm so grateful for that break.
Reply 22
11/12/18 Update - Another update?

Good evening!

I'm quite surprised that I've now managed to make two updates in one day. Usually, it's a struggle to find the time to even post one! I managed to get some work done after school, such as completing a graphic organiser on Freud's Little Hans study, as well as some studying for Biology. Speaking of Biology, my whole class has to give presentations (in pairs, both tomorrow and on Thursday) about the specific topic we were given. However, I have no clue what mine is even on, as I wasn't in when this was mentioned and my partner still hasn't shared the presentation with me. Love that for me!!

Hopefully we'll have to present ours on Thursday instead, gives me a little bit of time to look over the presentation (if I ever get to) and also mentally prepare myself. I hate presentations, especially when we're made to do them in place of the teacher actually just teaching us the topic themselves. It never helps us, and we all forget most of the information by the time a few weeks have passed. I still think my Biology teacher is great, but I do not think that this type of activity is really all that beneficial for anyone.

Another quite irritating thing to happen to me is that my printer isn't working. I think it's just low on ink, as when I attempted to print out my Biology write-up some of the text wasn't printing correctly. Regardless, it's pretty annoying. At least I can print it out at my sixth form, in the resource centre after my first lesson (Psychology).

The one thing getting me through this ever-so-slightly stressful week is the fact that I don't have school on Friday! Without that miracle, I probably would've been driven insane this week. It's not exactly fun to have to complete things like tests and presentations so close to Christmas.

I may seem quite unhappy in this update, but for the most part I'm just trying to laugh off the bad things that happen to me. I may not have listed any of them here, but I can see the positive side of things that initially annoy me (e.g. presentations making me more confident, or broken printer encouraging me to be resourceful). I'm not being pessimistic, I'm just seeing both sides of things. If anything, I'm just being realistic, and acknowledging the fact that life can't always be perfect. It be like that sometimes.

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the rest of your week. I hope to be posting more positive updates throughout the rest of the week!

Goodbye for now!
Original post by tdomala
No problem! Thank you!
It's amazing, I'm so grateful for that break.

:hugs:
Gosh how many updates are you posting in a day? :lol:
No school on Friday :yay:
Reply 24
Original post by nyxnko_
Gosh how many updates are you posting in a day? :lol:
No school on Friday :yay:

I didn't intend to post more than one update, but I thought I may as well post twice since I had the extra time. It will probably be one update a day most of the time, if even that haha.

I can't wait for Friday!
Reply 25
12/12/18 Update - Sixth form stress

Hi again!

It's a very late update tonight, sorry about that! I had quite a lot of work to do today, such as completing notes for Sociology and Biology, as well as going through worksheets and such. It made it a little difficult to find time to actually post an update, however I've finally managed to sit down and put the work aside. Now I can type away to my hearts content (until I finally give in to sleep, that is).

Today was a bit of a weird day. My first lesson, Psychology, was pretty straightforward. We were just continuing to write in a booklet on Freud's study of Little Hans (as well as Baron-Cohen's autism study, but we haven't covered that yet), so I just wrote some evaluative points and listened to music from some of my Spotify playlists. After that lesson, however, I had to print out my write-up for the osmosis practical in Biology, as my printer seemed to have run out of ink (or malfunction in some other way) at the worst possible time! Some of the laptops in my sixth form's resource centre weren't working, as I had to click on different applications (e.g. Google Chrome) several times before they would even open. That was quite annoying, but eventually I was able to print my write-up. After chatting to my friends for a while in the resource centre, I went to my Biology lesson. In that lesson, we had to give our presentations on our specific topics. My partner and I were supposed to present today, however we somehow managed to get it pushed to tomorrow, which made me quite happy. It was a lot of note-taking today, which I don't really mind, but I still think it would've been more beneficial to everyone if our teacher just taught us the topics herself. Oh well, what's done is done I guess!

In tomorrow's lesson, we should be getting our datapoint 2 tests back, as our teacher said that she will have them marked by then. Honestly, I'm quite nervous about receiving my mark, as I don't feel confident about me doing well, but I'm pushing that to the back of my mind for now. Everyone seemed to struggle on the test, so perhaps we'll all do badly and we can comfort one another about it. I guess I'll have to see what tomorrow brings me.

Wish me luck!

Goodbye for now!
Original post by tdomala

I didn't intend to post more than one update, but I thought I may as well post twice since I had the extra time. It will probably be one update a day most of the time, if even that haha.

I can't wait for Friday!

Oh fair enough :lol:
And that's almost here! :woo:
Reply 27
17/12/18 Update - It's been a while

Hello everyone,

Oops, so much for regular updates! This weekend has been a little bit hectic, so there hasn't been much time for me to post on here, plus I always forget that I haven't updated until it's way too late (i.e. at 2am when I'm exhausted and can't wait to finally get some sleep). I actually found the time to have a social life this weekend (it's practically unheard of), which made a nice change to just sitting around doing work. Friday, as I've previously mentioned, was my day off. That morning, I mostly studied and did some homework (as well as listening to music, of course), but in the evening I went out with my family to the Alice in Winterland Lantern Festival. There were lots of, well, lanterns as we walked along the path, and it was actually pretty cool! It kind of seems like it's more so aimed at families with younger kids (and we did have a few younger children with us), but all in all it was a fun experience and the displays were beautiful to look at, so I recommend it. On Saturday, I went out with two of my friends to Central London. We had lunch in Taco Bell (yay!!), and I just have to say, the food is amazing there, so delicious! After that, we went to an arcade and played air hockey. I think it may have been called Las Vegas or something, but I'm not entirely sure. The weather was terrible this weekend, just constant downpours of rain, so a lot of our time seemed to be spent seeking shelter in the myriad of coffee shops scattered around Central London. I was just happy to spend time with friends, so I didn't really mind.

This week has only just started, so I don't really have much to say about sixth form, other than the fact that I have a Sociology data point tomorrow, and a Biology Required Practical on Wednesday. Fun(!) I studied for the data point earlier, I was writing out the essay that we planned in lesson last Thursday, as we'll likely be answering the same question for the data point. I'm currently trying to complete my pre-task write up for Biology, which should not take that long as it's pretty much almost done.

Something more exciting that I will be doing this week is watching one of my best friends' drama performance. I'm curious to see what it's all about, as she hasn't told me that much about it, and very much relieved to have a distraction from sixth form. Constantly working can make me feel quite sad, as I feel like I never get the chance to relax properly. That's not to say I'm not productive, because I definitely am, but productivity for me doesn't just have to be doing schoolwork or homework. It can also take the form of self care, chores, looking after family and friends, reading a book, going out for walks with my dog, or even completing my favourite video games. As long as I'm getting things done and not constantly sleeping or letting myself get into a bad mood, it's a good days work to me.

I hope everyone enjoys this week, it's not long until Christmas now! Just 8 more days to go, we can all make it through this. This time next week, it will be Christmas Eve and we'll be sitting around, eating chocolate/crisps/mince pies/any other Christmas food you can think of, watching Christmas movies and trying to forget about A Levels, at least for a few more days. Sounds good to me!

Goodbye for now!
have a good break :yes:
Reply 29
26/12/18 Update - It's Christmas!!!

Hi!

Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals! Well, okay, I know that was yesterday, but it's still the festive season. Plus, I wanted to spend the day with my family and really enjoy Christmas. Food, presents, drinks, everything! I hope you all enjoyed Christmas, I know I did. I received way more presents than I was ever expecting to, and I'm so grateful for absolutely everything I was given.

If I'm being honest though, now that Christmas is over, I just feel really sad. Maybe it's because I know that I'll soon be back at sixth form and that I have way too much work to do, or because the excitement of the festive season is beginning to disappear, or maybe it's both or possibly something else. I don't really know. Regardless, I'm not feeling that great right now, at while that's not exactly fun to experience, it does seem to be pretty normal.

It's not all doom and gloom though. I have many things to be happy about: I can spend more time with family and friends, I don't have to wake up early (at least for a few more weeks), I can eat anything I want and not feel bad about it (the joys of the festive season), and I have so many new gifts to try out and enjoy. Also, I got acrylic nails on Christmas Eve (for like the third time this year, oops!) and now I get to tap them on literally everything. Ah, it's the small things that really bring you the most joy.

Right, I'm going to get some food, continue watching Deadpool 2 (another gift, it's pretty amazing so far) and relax. Enjoy the rest of the holidays, and make sure to spend as much time as possible with your family and friends. Don't take them, or the good things you have in life, for granted. Also, remember to take it easy, don't stress. We can do this!

Goodbye for now!
Glad you had a good christmas! :woo:
Reply 31
Original post by nyxnko_
Glad you had a good christmas! :woo:

Thank you, hope you had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too!
Reply 32
1/1/19 Update - New Year, New Opportunities!

Good evening!

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope you've all been enjoying 2019 so far, even though we're literally only one day in. Still, a lot can be done in one day. I've been cleaning up my room a little, with some assistance, and looking through my Christmas gifts to figure out where to store different things. In addition to this, I've been playing Life is Strange: Before the Storm, which is an amazing game! I loved the original game too, and I'm looking forward to playing the sequel at some point. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but my taste in video games and other such things has always been quite varied so I can enjoy all kinds of games, whether they're heavy on storytelling or more focused on gameplay. I just love having the opportunity to escape reality for a little while, I guess.

Don't worry though, I have also been doing homework. I'm all done for Sociology, mostly finished my Biology Homework and almost finished for Psychology. I don't have to complete the homework for one of my Psychology teachers until the second week back from the Christmas holiday, so it makes sense to focus on the homework for my main psych teacher rather than her homework. I'd rather not have to do any homework at all over Christmas, if I'm being completely honest, but it's whatever. That's life, I guess. Although, saying that, some people I know were given barely any homework, which is weird and kinda stupid. It's not even like their subjects are seen as being "easier", because they still take subjects like Maths and Physics, and even Psychology like me. There's not much I can do though, so I may as well just get it over and done with.

I'm not going to say the cliché "New Year, New Me!" quote because, let's face it, change can be difficult and it's never a good idea to force yourself into it. That doesn't mean that I won't improve, because realistically we can do pretty much anything if we really set our minds to it, but I'm also not going to make New Years resolutions that I'll probably break in a few weeks. There are definitely goals I have for myself, but they're generally not restricted to 2019 only, just things I hope to achieve at some point in my life.

Goodbye for now!
Original post by tdomala
Thank you, hope you had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too!

thank you :hugs:
good luck with any goals you have :rave: and happy new year!!
Reply 34
Original post by nyxnko_
thank you :hugs:
good luck with any goals you have :rave: and happy new year!!

you're welcome!
good luck with your goals too! this is very late, but happy new year and hope the year has been good to you so far.
Reply 35
11/1/19 Update - K+ UniLife

Hello,

As the title may suggest, yesterday I attended another event for the K+ programme, which was (of course) the K+ UniLife event. This event involved us taking part in different activities and learning about what life is generally like a university from current students at King's College London. Each of the four student ambassadors were studying different subjects, including Nursing, Engineering, English and Medicine. They informed us that the lesson styles can vary depending on the specific degree you choose to study, so some degrees (generally more scientific degrees) focus on lab work in addition to lectures, seminars and tutorials, whereas other degrees may focus on practical skills or be completely focused on written work.

In addition to this, in one of our activities we were split into different groups and had to come up with a society that we would like to see at KCL. The group that I was in chose to create the 'Sleep Society', which aimed to bring together a community of sleep-lovers (hopefully everyone, haha) and encourage people to de-stress. We also had to come up with three activities for our society. For our group, these activities were: teaching people about sleep (particularly helpful for insomnia sufferers), its benefits and the relationship between sleep and stress; reviewing things like mattresses, duvets, pillows, sleeping masks, etc.; and fundraising for homeless people to allow them to sleep more comfortably. Our society seemed to gain a lot of support (everyone loves sleep, even if we don't get as much as we would like to!), which made me quite happy.

There were a few negatives about the day, such as having to wake up way earlier than usual and all the walking we had to do. Other than that, however, it was a great experience overall. I was able to spend the day in Central London with a close friend, meet and talk to new people, laugh a lot and see another close friend afterwards. All in all, I had a great day yesterday and I look forward to attending more events for the K+ programme.

Goodbye for now!
Reply 36
11/1/19 Update - Heart Dissections!

Good evening!

Ooo, two updates in a row, how surprising! Don't get too used to regular updates haha, I'll probably revert back to my usual infrequent posting in no time. Not much to update you on today, so this should be a pretty short post.

My first lesson today was Sociology, which was honestly quite boring because we were just taking notes the entire lesson. I wouldn't have minded if we just had to write a page or two, but we were doing this for two hours, with only a seven minute break and I'm still not even finished now. I had more to do than other people, since I missed the lesson the day prior due to being on the K+ programme, so that's fun! Oh well, such is life.

My second lesson was Biology, and that was quite a bit more interesting. It was practical time again; this time, heart dissections! One thing that I didn't really like was the fact that we had to use animal hearts (it's easier and cheaper, especially since they bought them from Tesco haha), but that's more of a personal concern as I'm a vegetarian and therefore would like to refrain from harming animals in any way. I pretended they were human hearts and that made it better to be honest, although it might make me sound a little crazy. Another thing I didn't enjoy was the smell of the hearts, it was pretty disgusting but bearable since it wasn't that strong as long as you weren't right up close to the heart. It was interesting to cut open the heart and observe all of its internal features, and it was strangely beautiful. Blood doesn't bother me, so that was no issue.

Nothing much else to update you on today, which makes a change. I hope everyone has enjoyed their week so far and has a great weekend. I'm looking forward to the next half-term break!

Goodbye for now!
Glad yesterday went well :woo:
Ooh, love a dissection :gah: I think most dissections in schools are done using animal organs, due to some 'ethical' reasons for using human organs and they're harder to come across. :dontknow:
Have a good weekend :hugs:
Reply 38
Original post by nyxnko_
Glad yesterday went well :woo:
Ooh, love a dissection :gah: I think most dissections in schools are done using animal organs, due to some 'ethical' reasons for using human organs and they're harder to come across. :dontknow:
Have a good weekend :hugs:

Thank you, me too haha!
Same, they're pretty interesting. I can get that, I just prefer using human organs/bodies, like they often do in universities. It would be better because, unless I decide to be a vet, I'm going to be working with humans and not animals, so it will help with gaining a better understanding of anatomy and such. However, I can understand the ethical and financial concerns.
You too!
Original post by tdomala
Thank you, me too haha!
Same, they're pretty interesting. I can get that, I just prefer using human organs/bodies, like they often do in universities. It would be better because, unless I decide to be a vet, I'm going to be working with humans and not animals, so it will help with gaining a better understanding of anatomy and such. However, I can understand the ethical and financial concerns.
You too!

:cube:
I guess so :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending