Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1441 – Sexual Offences Act 2003 (Amendment) Bill 2018, TSR Government
A

BILL

TO

to increase the sentences for human trafficking in the UK.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 - Definitions
(1) All terms are to be defined as such in the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

2 - Amendments to the Sexual Offences Act 2003
(1) The Sexual Offences Act 2003 is to be amended as follows.
(2) Section 57, subsection (2)(b) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 is to be amended to read the following:-
"on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life."
(3) Section 58, subsection (2)(b) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 is to be amended to read the following:-
(4) Section 59, subsection (2)(b) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 is to be amended to read the following:-

3 - Commencement, short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (Amendment) Act 2018.
(2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
(3) This Act is to come into effect upon Royal Assent.

Notes
This bill fulfils the promise laid out in the Home Office Ministerial Report. It increases the sentences for human trafficking from 14 years to a maximum of life. This is because the current sentence of 14 years is not a huge cost to traffickers because of the financial benefits. Human traffickers can make up to £8,000 from selling one victim and per day they can make up to £1,000. Increasing it to life imprisonment is likely to have a big impact on trafficking and also give the worse victims of human trafficking the justice they deserve.

CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe the law in this area is now governed by the Modern Slavery Act 2015.

CoffeeGeek (assuming this is your bill)
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Modern Slavery Act 2015

Much modern, very chic, wow!
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Modern Slavery Act 2015

Much modern, very chic, wow!
It's a thing, and something that your government should perhaps look at amending instead of the SOA 2003.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye.

A fantastic bill from our Home Secretary.
Lord Vitiate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
CatusStarbright is right - you should be amending the Modern Slavery Act 2015 if anything.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Aye.

A fantastic bill from our Home Secretary.
And I guess this is yet another bill you have no read what is being amended, sections 57-59 have all been repealed, this does absolutely nothing
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I believe the law in this area is now governed by the Modern Slavery Act 2015.

CoffeeGeek (assuming this is your bill)
Yes I authored the bill. Could you show me where in the Modern Slavery Act this is? And if that’s the case then that’s fine I’ll submit a new one amended under that.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
Yes I authored the bill. Could you show me where in the Modern Slavery Act this is? And if that’s the case then that’s fine I’ll submit a new one amended under that.
Is it too hard to look yourself, or are you afraid that once again you'll try to amend something already repealed if there isn't somebody holding your hand?
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 year ago
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Is it too hard to look yourself, or are you afraid that once again you'll try to amend something already repealed if there isn't somebody holding your hand?
Oh come on. I’m just asking where it is because perhaps I made a little error and missed the relevant part. It’s not a big deal.

You know people would respect you more if you just shut up and say nothing rather than post this crap that people are tired of seeing and adds nothing to the discussion. But then again you’re in extreme denial so it makes no sense to give you advice on how to be a person with dignity.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The penalties appear to be laid out in section 5, with human trafficking being an offence under section 2.
Too busy being argumentative for the sake of it to actually try and help others to make better legislation?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh come on. I’m just asking where it is because perhaps I made a little error and missed the relevant part. It’s not a big deal.

You know people would respect you more if you just shut up and say nothing rather than post this crap that people are tired of seeing and adds nothing to the discussion. But then again you’re in extreme denial so it makes no sense to give you advice on how to be a person with dignity.
It's incredibly easy to find in the MSA if only you can be bothered to read it, it is very nearly the first thing

So first you try to amend something that has been repealed (to do what the current legislation already does) and then don't even try looking at the current legislation. A prime example of the incompetence of this government.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
The penalties appear to be laid out in section 5, with human trafficking being an offence under section 2.

Too busy being argumentative for the sake of it to actually try and help others to make better legislation?
It's bad legislation that attempts to change the current law to the current law, if people actually make an effort in the first place rather than leaving themselves with goals so massive that even the world's worst footballer would struggle to miss they might get a different outcome, instead they don't even try with the original attempt and then don't even look for the ifnormation they require to fix it. There are only two cases where you need help to find the relevant part of MSA: the first is that you haven't looked yourself, the second is that you are literally so ******ed that you can't see "penalties" and think "hmmmm, maybe that's where I should be looking"
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's bad legislation that attempts to change the current law to the current law, if people actually make an effort in the first place rather than leaving themselves with goals so massive that even the world's worst footballer would struggle to miss they might get a different outcome, instead they don't even try with the original attempt and then don't even look for the ifnormation they require to fix it. There are only two cases where you need help to find the relevant part of MSA: the first is that you haven't looked yourself, the second is that you are literally so ******ed that you can't see "penalties" and think "hmmmm, maybe that's where I should be looking"
I share your frustrations, but one must put up with the incompetence of others and help them to be less incompetent.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (1)
16.67%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (3)
50%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (2)
33.33%

Watched Threads