sarah: on studying, success, and a whole lot of stress Watch

scorpionfish17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
After looking through some of these threads it appears that I may be just a little late to the party! But after an email I got I just had to check this thing out. Here we go.

Hey guys! I'm Sarah, and I'm rather new to TSR, so this took me a little while to figure out how these blogs work. Fingers crossed I'm posting in the right place.

I'm a Year 13 student (I don't know how I got here), currently studying 3 A-levels in English Literature, Media Studies and Classical Civilisations (the study of Ancient Greek and Roman culture).

I'm currently neck-deep in coursework as I submitted my second piece of lit cwk not long ago and I'm working on my cross- media production. That reminds me, if any one you guys want to know, I do AQA English, Eduqas Media and OCR Classics.

Last year's mocks went pretty well- even if they felt bad at the time, but my predicted grades are A*A*A- so no pressure. In all honesty, I'm hoping for AAA, but we'll see.

This week I've sent off my UCAS application, and I'm already feeling a little behind. I want to study English Lit and Film next year.

I already feel like this post is getting too long so, for now (and in hopes that short blog posts will equal consistent ones), I'll keep it brief.

In short- I've started this blog to keep me on track, to practice writing, and in attempt to stay off my phone (I'm writing this on my slow laptop).

I'll link any videos/ apps/ articles that I find interesting, and share some book and music recommendations. I'm currently listening to one of my favourite albums, The Hanging Gardens of Beatenberg, by Beatenberg, naturally. All the classical references make me smile.

Anyway. I hope you stick around for the ride!
Toastiekid
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Classical Civilisations sounds cool:yep:
Good luck with ucas and year 13:hugs:
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Good luck!! :rave:
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
Classical Civilisations sounds cool:yep:
Good luck with ucas and year 13:hugs:
Thanks so much. And classics is great, I think it’s my favourite subject- some of it is hilarious!
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Good luck!! :rave:
thank you, I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
4/12/18
:flute: Losing My Way- FKJ and Tom Misch

Tuesdays are always weird for me. I only have one lesson- English Lit, and it's finished by 10:30 and then I'm free to go home. Normally I would stay and try to do some extra stuff in the library, but today I thought it would be a good idea to go Christmas shopping... I got home three hours later with nothing to show.
I didn't do anything since I've been back, except from going to the gym. That's okay, because tomorrow is another short one.

In English today we were handed back a timed assessment we did last week. Turns out I got an A, and he photocopied my response, along with two others, to give out to the class, so I was proud of myself for that. We also had our checkpoints (a termly review of grades/ goals/ targets, you know the drill), and I was told I needed to promise to contribute more. I've heard this at every parent's evening I've ever attended. It frustrates me because I work hard, I get good grades, I'm active in group work, and he always picks on me to read stuff out and I'm happy to do that, but some days I just don't want to speak up. Another way I think of it, is that when I write, there are more steps involved.

-I think
-I word it out in my head
-I write it down
-And I can edit it.

But when I get picked on to answer a question, I blank and my explainations are rarely coherent- or I struggle to get my point across. And I'm not all that confident.

Apart from that, the checkpoint went well. I discussed with him my application to study English and Film at university next year and he seemed genuinely interested and excited about that.

Tomorrow I only have coaching, so again I'm only in for one period. I'm planning on going in early to do some revision.

I'm going to set myself a few targets, and maybe I'll comment on them the next time I post.

1) Start a book this week.
2) Reduce screen time everyday, even if it's just by a little.
3) List a new product on my Etsy shop.

I hope everything is going well for you guys and for future Sarah! Bye for now. :lazy:
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
glad you had a good day :hugs:
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
glad you had a good day :hugs:
thank you! I hope you’re having a good week :hugs:
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
8/12/18
:flute: Compromised- Tim Atlas

Update time! I thought I'd fill you in on how my week went. Let's go day by day.

Wednesday: I'm only in for coaching sessions on Wednesdays, so I went in about an hour before I needed to. I sat in our English department and filled in an Othello revision grid- part of a revision pack/ timetable we were given for the Year 12 texts. I'm a little behind, but after talking to a few people in my class, I'm one of the only ones using it so... not to worry. Coaching only went on for about 20 minutes and only 8 of us turned up! It was an open evening so anyone who had a lesson last period got to leave early, so I assume they didn't want to come in just for coaching. So, an hour trip back home it was, for a 20 minute lesson :grumble:

Thursday: Oh boy, Thursdays are my busiest day for sure. I have all my lessons, plus interventions for all of them if the teachers want us to stay as well as a 2 hour gap where we sit and want to go home. English went pretty well. We started The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and so far, so good. It was theory day for media, so pretty boring. I sat and copied notes about the video games industry for an hour and a half. They were showing a Christmas film in the hall at lunch and I lowkey wanted to go, but in the end instead of my one friend (lmao) we sat with another two girls who are from our classes, and that was a nice change. In classics our teacher is currently signed off from work so we've had supplies for the past two weeks. But on Thurday they brought in an actual classics teacher, who really knows his stuff, so for once we were worked hard. I had to read out my essay in the end and that was kind of embarassing. He said he liked my style, but I need to focus on the question more. I agree, but I was going bit red in the face when he was speaking because the whole class was listening. Nevermind.

Friday: I have all my lessons again but they are scrunched up together so I can leave by 2:30. I booked some parents evening appointments, worked on magazine research in media and wrote another classics essay. The beginning of the day didn't start great though- I very nearly missed my bus!

And that brings us to today. I finally went christmas shopping with my parents and it's making me feel a little more prepared. Then we put up the Christmas tree! I also went to the supermarket to buy some stuff for Reverse Advent. At my church families are filling boxes with 25 things to go to a homeless shelter on Christmas day. Today it was my week.

Sorry this was long. Now my week has been established hopefully they will get a bit shorter! Lets have a check up on my targets...

1) Start a book. I've read 70 odd pages of The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.
2) Reduce screen time everyday. So far, so good!
3) List a new Etsy product. Ugh, I've tried but we just got our computer wiped and all the dimensions are wrong! Maybe tomorrow.

Hope things are going well for everyone reading this! Bye for now. :lazy:
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by scorpionfish17)
thank you! I hope you’re having a good week :hugs:
Pretty much :yes: thank you :hugs:
Christmas shopping!! :gah:
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
9/12/18
tonight’s focus: Othello key quotes
Name:  BFC36E32-03F8-427E-BB64-876451056E83.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  217.4 KB
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
your handwriting is amazing! :gah:
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
your handwriting is amazing! :gah:
ahh thank you!!
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
15/12/18
Hopefully will post another written update tomorrow. For now, I’m working on a Classics essay, and then I’ll reward myself with pizza and a Christmas film!

Name:  6AE7AAC5-19C7-4B24-A615-EC551250E39C.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  257.4 KB
Last edited by scorpionfish17; 2 months ago
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Good Luck! Classical Civilisations sounds awesome, also I'm so jealous of your notes, they look good boo x
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Oops! It seems Christmas festivities got in the way of updating (luckily not homework though!).

I hope everyone had a great Christmas break. What did you get up to?
Homework wise I think it did pretty well. I didn’t leave things until the last minute, and I wrote a total of 4 essays, draw a massive mindmap and did some critical reading.

I’m currently writing this is the library at college, working on a media theory booklet. Yesterday was my first day back and it went well, but I was exhausted.

My goal for today is to finish reading Persuasion by Jane Austen! I’ve read about 120/200 pages, but it’s a tricky read to get through.

Let’s have a quick check on those earlier goals.
1) Start a book. Well yes! Achieved!
2) Reduce screen time everyday. Ugh. I try. But I’ve had some bad days.
3)List a new Etsy product. Woohoo! I’ve done that!

So perhaps it seems I’ve been doing pretty well.

Bye for now! :hello:
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
(Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
Good Luck! Classical Civilisations sounds awesome, also I'm so jealous of your notes, they look good boo x
Sorry for the late reply! Thanks so much, that’s so sweet. X
Aishraat
Badges: 14
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by scorpionfish17)
After looking through some of these threads it appears that I may be just a little late to the party! But after an email I got I just had to check this thing out. Here we go.

Hey guys! I'm Sarah, and I'm rather new to TSR, so this took me a little while to figure out how these blogs work. Fingers crossed I'm posting in the right place.

I'm a Year 13 student (I don't know how I got here), currently studying 3 A-levels in English Literature, Media Studies and Classical Civilisations (the study of Ancient Greek and Roman culture).

I'm currently neck-deep in coursework as I submitted my second piece of lit cwk not long ago and I'm working on my cross- media production. That reminds me, if any one you guys want to know, I do AQA English, Eduqas Media and OCR Classics.

Last year's mocks went pretty well- even if they felt bad at the time, but my predicted grades are A*A*A- so no pressure. In all honesty, I'm hoping for AAA, but we'll see.

This week I've sent off my UCAS application, and I'm already feeling a little behind. I want to study English Lit and Film next year.

I already feel like this post is getting too long so, for now (and in hopes that short blog posts will equal consistent ones), I'll keep it brief.

In short- I've started this blog to keep me on track, to practice writing, and in attempt to stay off my phone (I'm writing this on my slow laptop).

I'll link any videos/ apps/ articles that I find interesting, and share some book and music recommendations. I'm currently listening to one of my favourite albums, The Hanging Gardens of Beatenberg, by Beatenberg, naturally. All the classical references make me smile.

Anyway. I hope you stick around for the ride!
Good luck hun xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
scorpionfish17
Rep:
?
14/1/19
:flute:Full Length Mirror- Beatenberg

Hello again everyone! I’m currently at college but I thought I’d give a quick update! Over the weekend I did two lots of media homework, finished an essay plan for English and did some classics revision. Here’s what my Friday night looked like:
Name:  692791D8-3578-47F4-8C81-023DBD493930.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  210.9 KB
I really like this way of structuring my week, check it out if you want, it’s called the Eisenhower matrix.
I finished Persuasion as well! I’m going to start The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy tonight after I’m home from the gym.
That’s all for now, have a good week everyone! :lazy:
Last edited by scorpionfish17; 1 month ago
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ooh that matrix thing looks awesome:ahee:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads