Do you need a laptop for uni?

Watch
username4278616
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I’m not really sure if this is the right forum but feel free to change it if it’s not, sorry.

I’m currently Year 12 and I hope to go to uni after sixth form and I’m thinking of studying either medicine or healthcare science and also had thoughts about biomedical science and biology.

However, I don’t really know if you need a laptop for those courses or for uni in general. I’m thinking about this because I’ve seen a lot of people with laptops in uni videos eg lectures and I’m not really sure if I need one or not. I know you can probably use computers at a library but it isn’t handy having your own laptop.

The laptop I have at the moment is quite slow and the internet is glitchy so I don’t think it’s reliable.

Any thoughts please? Thanks
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ShibShabShob)
Hi,

I’m not really sure if this is the right forum but feel free to change it if it’s not, sorry.

I’m currently Year 12 and I hope to go to uni after sixth form and I’m thinking of studying either medicine or healthcare science and also had thoughts about biomedical science and biology.

However, I don’t really know if you need a laptop for those courses or for uni in general. I’m thinking about this because I’ve seen a lot of people with laptops in uni videos eg lectures and I’m not really sure if I need one or not. I know you can probably use computers at a library but it isn’t handy having your own laptop.

The laptop I have at the moment is quite slow and the internet is glitchy so I don’t think it’s reliable.

Any thoughts please? Thanks
Yep definitely recommend it. Relying on uni computers means you can't do any work in your room or house. Unless you have a desktop at uni.
Herts PG Student Repsdafaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi ShibShabShob,

I wouldn't be able to comment on course specific requirements, but I would think work-wise it would be fairly easy to get around without a laptop - it might just mean spending more time in the library.

From my personal experience it depends how easy you find it to work at home or out and about. I have a laptop that I use at home, but I usually go and use uni PCs as a) it's a more work-y environment and b) they're more powerful than my laptop. The only work I really do at home is either report writing or isn't uni related. Ditto for lectures - if you find it easier to take notes by pen and paper, then use those!

These days we can get pretty much everything on our phone anyway, so I think it should be easy enough to work around - I would suggest brining the laptop in case of emergencies, though.

Hope that helps!

Theo
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't need one, but it makes life infinitely easier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads