The Student Room Group

Advise on how to tutor a year 11?

I am in year 12. I have been asked to tutor a year 11 student for 50 mins a week in order to improve his maths grades.

Its a tall order, because I already do 4 subjects, 50mins is very little time, he is currently on a 4, having just negotiated himself out of foundation and desires to be at least a 6, and it is currently Dec, with GCSEs not too far away.

On the plus side, I have only had one lesson with him so far, and from what I have observed he is determined, ambitious (maybe too ambitious) and diligent. I spent that 50 mins assessing what he knows currently, (sorting into two categories, what he has never seen and what he has seen but does not feel comfortable with), I am aware that this is a poor measure of knowledge as humans are very good at confusing recognition with mastery, I myself am, especially with maths.

I am optimistic I can do it, and my initial strategy post assessing his abilities briefly and hearing his opinion. Is, to begin with algebra, as it forms the basis of other topics, and is great for both building mathematical confidence and observational/modelling skills which are highly demanded in the GCSE.

My question is finally, How would you go about this?

Many thanks in advance,

The Sudanese Prince,
Let me talk from personal experience... Ignore my username as it doesn't coincide with my story.... I used to be pretty F**k at Maths but one day I then had a vision to improve my intelligence through having a willingness to learn new topics. I watched a lot of hegartymaths and math genie videos on Youtube and it got to the point where I would self teach myself topics that we hadn't covered in class. Back to your question though, I would probably start talking to him about future careers relating to maths and the chances are is that the job he wants to do in the future will somehow be related to maths... Go through past papers and show them how to do the last tricky questions... Best of luck
Original post by Yr_11_MATHS
Let me talk from personal experience... Ignore my username

Hmm wonder where you got that username from? ...
there are plenty of online maths sites.

www.mathsbot.com is very useful.
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths

Lol sorry about that...

:smile: If the Nigerians have a prince, then so shall the proud Sudanese. I am happy to oblige them.
Lol sorry about that...

Now I'm confused, why are you apologising for some elses comment?
Let me talk from personal experience... Ignore my username as it doesn't coincide with my story.... I used to be pretty F**k at Maths but one day I then had a vision to improve my intelligence through having a willingness to learn new topics. I watched a lot of hegartymaths and math genie videos on Youtube and it got to the point where I would self teach myself topics that we hadn't covered in class. Back to your question though, I would probably start talking to him about future careers relating to maths and the chances are is that the job he wants to do in the future will somehow be related to maths... Go through past papers and show them how to do the last tricky questions... Best of luck

I have a similar backstory :smile: but I'm glad I turned it around. I am still not great, but I feel like I have rid myself of some of my maths anxiety.
Usually I have servants and advisors do the numbers for me :wink:
Original post by SudanesePrince
I have a similar backstory :smile: but I'm glad I turned it around. I am still not great, but I feel like I have rid myself of some of my maths anxiety.
Usually I have servants and advisors do the numbers for me :wink:

just do past papers for the first lesson/half of the first lesson, then go over whatever they struggle with. They might need help with homework/other topics too so you could ask them that aswell
Original post by isiaiah d
just do past papers for the first lesson/half of the first lesson, then go over whatever they struggle with. They might need help with homework/other topics too so you could ask them that aswell

Thanks for the advice
Reply 10
I'm in year 13 and tutor two year 11's. The best thing I find is going through questions in topics he struggles with as you said. Try to solve one question with him showing him how it's done; explaining the methods you are using along the way. Then have him attempt a few easier questions where he needs to just do the maths and ensure he is confident with it. Then do a few abstract/problem solving questions to make sure he is confident in using the topic. In your next lesson you should give him a question on the topic, if he does it well then move on. If not find the gaps in knowledge and address them.

Two things to note: you should always feel confident with the topics you are teaching because otherwise you might confuse him and make it worse; avoid telling him what he needs to do straight instead try to guide him to the answer.
Original post by Mshabana
I'm in year 13 and tutor two year 11's. The best thing I find is going through questions in topics he struggles with as you said. Try to solve one question with him showing him how it's done; explaining the methods you are using along the way. Then have him attempt a few easier questions where he needs to just do the maths and ensure he is confident with it. Then do a few abstract/problem solving questions to make sure he is confident in using the topic. In your next lesson you should give him a question on the topic, if he does it well then move on. If not find the gaps in knowledge and address them.

Two things to note: you should always feel confident with the topics you are teaching because otherwise you might confuse him and make it worse; avoid telling him what he needs to do straight instead try to guide him to the answer.

Top post, thank you,
Original post by SudanesePrince
Now I'm confused, why are you apologising for some elses comment?

He stole my old username that’s why 😂
He stole my old username that’s why 😂

Oh I see I thought you were foolish enough to question my mighty title :wink:
When I was doing my GCSE maths I had to get a tutor around this time last year, and my tutor just went through the spec with me, so they would explain a few topics/make sure I understood and give me past papers to do either in the tuition session (which was an hour long) or as homework, and we did this until we had gone through the whole spec, then just did past papers until the actual exams. After getting 3/4's all year, I managed to get a 6.

Quick Reply

Latest