Cakecupcake
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Who else has recently started year 12 and thinks that A Levels are a lot easier than they were made out to be. Also, how much harder do they get (Bio,chem,maths)?
CloudySkies238
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heard there is a massive set up in bio from year 12 to 13 - I don't take it tho so I wouldn't really know lol.
monkeyman0121
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Until you actually go through with an exam you can't really call them easy. I thought they were easy at the beginning and when it came to the exam, it is a whole lot harder. Don't underestimate it, it will only make you fail.
Nefaknd
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths becomes horrific I won’t lie, I think it’s more the workload that makes a levels harder rather than the content
Last edited by Nefaknd; 1 year ago
SpencerA
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nefaknd)
Maths becomes horrific I won’t lie, I think it’s more the workload that makes a levels harder rather than the content
I second this; I'm taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-Level and the workload is immense, but the content isn't particularly challenging itself.
michelevetrano18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cakecupcake)
Who else has recently started year 12 and thinks that A Levels are a lot easier than they were made out to be. Also, how much harder do they get (Bio,chem,maths)?
get closer to the exams mate, you'll soon understand the pain.
zaladman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do all three, biology and chemistry-boy are they hard, you need to be revising constantly for biology, read the whole book for biology and learn everything, you need to know the content in like 1-2 months of reading it. Doesn't matter where your class is at just try to get ahead and don't let the teacher waste time. Biology requires a lot of exam technique practice, as before A level biology was literally all describe and explain questions, which is why it was so easy, now you have to apply your knowledge more and think outside of the box, lastly for biology you need to learn everything bit of the book that is relevant to the spec, and then some. With chemistry you need to learn ALL the equations, mechanisms, definitions ESPECIALLY THE DEFINTIONS they will ask loads of explain this term and explain that term. Maths can be hard if you're not naturally gifted (I know some people that sleep in class and get As) yeah so with maths it's just do loads of practice questions.In terms of ranking I'd go 1. biology 2. chemistry 3. maths.DO NOT underestimate A-levels. Revise like your tests are next week. Trust me on this.
username4376556
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
bio might seem easy now but trust me, it;s going to get a whole lot harder. especially when you get to yr 13. the exams are where everyone falls short at first, the mark schemes are brutal and you have to know the content inside out and know how to interpret it. haven't learnt anything about multiple sclerosis in your spec? tough, there could be 5 questions on it in the exam because half of it is application and thinking outside the box. honestly if you really want to do it, you'll get there, but don't speak too soon bc it will be horrible. im in yr 13 doing bio and like it's interesting yeah, but there's so many names and terms and processes and it takes a lot of time and revision and doing past papers but it's totally worth it in the end, if you're finding it easy, get ahead of your class and learn content in advance, the extra time later on will become useful for revision later on.
zaladman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by InfinityPlusOne)
bio might seem easy now but trust me, it;s going to get a whole lot harder. especially when you get to yr 13. the exams are where everyone falls short at first, the mark schemes are brutal and you have to know the content inside out and know how to interpret it. haven't learnt anything about multiple sclerosis in your spec? tough, there could be 5 questions on it in the exam because half of it is application and thinking outside the box. honestly if you really want to do it, you'll get there, but don't speak too soon bc it will be horrible. im in yr 13 doing bio and like it's interesting yeah, but there's so many names and terms and processes and it takes a lot of time and revision and doing past papers but it's totally worth it in the end, if you're finding it easy, get ahead of your class and learn content in advance, the extra time later on will become useful for revision later on.
I 100% agree with this guy, like I said revise like there's no tomorrow starting now! do not procrastinate, work hard now and it'll pay for itself, get AAA and you can pretty much do anything.
Guarddyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The first few months of A-levels are easy if you have solid GCSE knowledge. They do get harder, progressively harder, especially moving from year 12 to year 13.
CuriousCat567
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They get progressively harder and it’s not the difficulty that contributes to the step up, it’s the sheer amount of content you’re expected to know and be able to apply. So you might be doing good now but there’s so much you need to remember to the exact wording the examiners want.
CuriousCat567
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Plus, a lot of the beginning of a level spec is building up on top of gcse knowledge and bridging the gap so that everyone securely has the base knowledge. You haven’t got to anything yet.
JEG666
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ngl first year was fine. 2nd year gets a whole lot worse if you do three coursework subjects and an epq that all have to be completed in th first term on top on uni application and personal statement. It is doable though...
username3774332
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that's nothing. EVERY TSR user finds a-levels extremely easy.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Come back in year 13 and let's see if you're saying the same thing!
Captain Holt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hahaha just wait until year 13 bio and chem rip
Stebe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sciences are the absolute worst on A Levels, at least that's what I've heard from my friends, because I do humanities. A Levels are hard, but as long as you keep up with the content and revision, you should be fine. Don't treat AS as a time to take a break. If you don't do the work this year, you won't have time.to.catch up later on.
byeongkwans
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In terms of difficulty the content isn't much harder to understand than GCSEs. However the workload, and the breath and depth of knowledge required are what you'll find difficult come exam season. A-level exams are really over complicated, I'm finding university a lot easier in comparison.
Always Positive
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What up Cupcake?
They don't get harder.
You'll walk it.
Gsjensen49
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Always Positive)
What up Cupcake?
They don't get harder.
You'll walk it.
He's barely started. I wouldn't start saying that yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (412)
43.78%
No (98)
10.41%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise