Too late to switch from English to Economics?

Watch
elxzaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've finally come to the decision that I want to do PPE at university. While I know knowledge of economics isn't essential, I feel like it puts me at an extreme disadvantage, considering that I also don't take A Level Maths (I take English, Politics and French). Advice???
Last edited by elxzaaa; 1 year ago
delke
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there
I do not think it puts u at an extreme disadvantage and since you are doing Politics you would have come across some basic economic concepts ( eg free market/Keynesian economics)
But I suggest you do some reading around key economists/ thinkers and read The Economist which may prove to be very useful.
Sorry I could not be very helpful but it is a starting point and you do not need to stress yourself out too much if you definitely know that what you want to study PPE at uni
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not having economics is largely irrelevant. It's not required for any economics course, PPE or otherwise.

Not having maths is a critical issue though. Almost every PPE and economics degree requires A-level Maths or equivalent, and this is for a reason. Economics at university is necessarily mathematical, and if you didn't think you could cope with A-level Maths, or dislike maths and chose not to take it for that reason, then you will have those same troubles in an economics or PPE degree.

The few PPE courses that don't require A-level Maths will teach you the same material in the first year anyway, except much quicker and with a lot less individual attention. I would suggest you look into ways to take A-level Maths, rather than focusing on economics which isn't required or even particularly useful.
elxzaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Not having economics is largely irrelevant. It's not required for any economics course, PPE or otherwise.

Not having maths is a critical issue though. Almost every PPE and economics degree requires A-level Maths or equivalent, and this is for a reason. Economics at university is necessarily mathematical, and if you didn't think you could cope with A-level Maths, or dislike maths and chose not to take it for that reason, then you will have those same troubles in an economics or PPE degree.

The few PPE courses that don't require A-level Maths will teach you the same material in the first year anyway, except much quicker and with a lot less individual attention. I would suggest you look into ways to take A-level Maths, rather than focusing on economics which isn't required or even particularly useful.
Thanks for replying. The only place I'm applying for PPE at is Oxford - for all other universities I'm applying for International Relations and Politics. Are there specific topics I can look up for maths instead of taking it? I couldn't imagine doing it at A Level
Last edited by elxzaaa; 1 year ago
elxzaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by delke)
Hi there
I do not think it puts u at an extreme disadvantage and since you are doing Politics you would have come across some basic economic concepts ( eg free market/Keynesian economics)
But I suggest you do some reading around key economists/ thinkers and read The Economist which may prove to be very useful.
Sorry I could not be very helpful but it is a starting point and you do not need to stress yourself out too much if you definitely know that what you want to study PPE at uni
Thanks so much - I'll look into the Economist!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by elxzaaa)
Thanks for replying. The only place I'm applying for PPE at is Oxford - for all other universities I'm applying for International Relations and Politics. Are there specific topics I can look up for maths instead of taking it. I couldn't imagine doing it at A Level
95% of successful applicants to Oxford PPE have A-level Maths (and/or FM). They publish this data on their course webpage.

If you can't imagine taking A-level Maths I can't see how you will not be able to cope with a PPE degree, at Oxford or elsewhere...you will need most of the maths from A-level Maths to do university level economics, and then some.

You may want to focus on looking at Politics & Philosophy joint honours courses if you are interested in those areas from PPE but not mathematically inclined (and thus unsuited to the economics part).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (131)
30.05%
No (305)
69.95%

Watched Threads