year 11 dec mocks! advice please Watch

ratskarth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
we have our mock exams beginning the 10th of december (a week from now) and i know it’s so stupid of me but i’ve procrastinated studying.

would i do horribly if i wing the exams? how do i cram all the revision into a week?

lastly, will i improve much from january to the actual gcses? i’m guessing i’ll probably scrape mostly fives, maybe a couple sixes/sevens in the mock (i’m trying not to assume i’ll score highly because i’m preparing myself for failure)

thank you in advance!
i need to revise for bio, chem, physics, french, history and computer science. any advice is appreciated.
I'mComingOxford
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
same bro next week. i've done good revision but i know i'll flunk some.

idk colleges use that as a deciding factor but they might tell you to get a few grades higher in the actual gcse.
Komaric
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Mocks don't matter
Success_student9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey
Same mine start 10th too
(Original post by ratskarth)
we have our mock exams beginning the 10th of december (a week from now) and i know it’s so stupid of me but i’ve procrastinated studying.

would i do horribly if i wing the exams? how do i cram all the revision into a week?

lastly, will i improve much from january to the actual gcses? i’m guessing i’ll probably scrape mostly fives, maybe a couple sixes/sevens in the mock (i’m trying not to assume i’ll score highly because i’m preparing myself for failure)

thank you in advance!
i need to revise for bio, chem, physics, french, history and computer science. any advice is appreciated.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
confuseddstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

thank you in advance!
Honestly same urghhhhh but you know that guy on youtube that everyone bums off go watch him even though hes boring some of his videos actually help. hes called FreeScienceLessons on youtube every episode is like maximum 4 minutes and he covers all the topics for GCSE science Triple award and Double award
SmolPotato
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
*Rolls in* I've done my mock exams woooosh. (My school decided to do them starting last month)

Here's my advice to revise over the week.

YOUTUBE VIDEOS. They are great to summarise what you have learnt so far.
For Science (Triology or Separate), Primrose Kitten is great. She summarises all topics from AQA and Edexcel I believe and she goes over the basics. She also makes flashcards etc.

I don't do French or History but I also do OCR Computer Science.
There's the 'Computer Science Tutor' who covers many things from OCR to Edexcel to AQA. 'Craig N' Dave' is also another good channel to check out, but I believe they only cover OCR and AQA.

Their videos may go on for some time though, just increase the speed onto x1.25 or x1.5 aha.

But I really recommend watching Youtube videos, as long as you actually don't get distracted by any messages or anything else on your phone. You want to focus entierly on your revision when you revise so then you are in the zoonneeee.

If you start to drift off elsewhere, then stop. Long revision isn't really productive for some people. Just take a quick break, perhaps go and get a snack and then go back to it. I would say take longer breaks, but you need to know that you need to recall on many subjects under a week, and believe in yourself - don't look at anyone else's improvments. Look at yours. As long as your marks are increasing (don't look at your grade), you know you are on the right track!

Skim over your notes and your revision guide too. Even just before the exam (I actually found that suprisingly useful).

Another thing, revise from what the first exams you have first.
You'll have the Christmas holidays to revise for the rest of the mock exams, right?
So say you have Maths Paper 1 (Non Calc) on the 10th but you have Biology Paper 1 not until the 17th. Focus on both of them, but focus more on the maths, as you have a whole week to slot in more revision for the Biology paper.

Avoid exam papers too, as you may just accidentally revise over a paper you'll end up doing in your mock. That's up to you though; but I wouldn't focus on grades, I'd focus on improvments from before - like your Year 10 mocks (Which take into account had less context). But if you have some revision workbooks, use them. If you don't want to write it and just skim through it, talk it out to yourself in a fun way which helps you to remember.

-

For the part for your actual GCSEs, it's not too late to start placing the revision in!
It is best to do it now than later, to spread out the revision more and have more time to understand it. If you understand it, it can be easier to remember and recall, and then apply it.
If you truely believe in yourself (Don't tell yourself that you'll get low marks otherwise you're not motivating yourself as much), then you can get the highest grades you want. It may just take that extra effort compared to others, but it'll be worth it in the end.

I hope this helps in some form, and the best of luck for your exams!
ratskarth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by SmolPotato)
*Rolls in* I've done my mock exams woooosh. (My school decided to do them starting last month)

Here's my advice to revise over the week.

YOUTUBE VIDEOS. They are great to summarise what you have learnt so far.
For Science (Triology or Separate), Primrose Kitten is great. She summarises all topics from AQA and Edexcel I believe and she goes over the basics. She also makes flashcards etc.

I don't do French or History but I also do OCR Computer Science.
There's the 'Computer Science Tutor' who covers many things from OCR to Edexcel to AQA. 'Craig N' Dave' is also another good channel to check out, but I believe they only cover OCR and AQA.

Their videos may go on for some time though, just increase the speed onto x1.25 or x1.5 aha.

But I really recommend watching Youtube videos, as long as you actually don't get distracted by any messages or anything else on your phone. You want to focus entierly on your revision when you revise so then you are in the zoonneeee.

If you start to drift off elsewhere, then stop. Long revision isn't really productive for some people. Just take a quick break, perhaps go and get a snack and then go back to it. I would say take longer breaks, but you need to know that you need to recall on many subjects under a week, and believe in yourself - don't look at anyone else's improvments. Look at yours. As long as your marks are increasing (don't look at your grade), you know you are on the right track!

Skim over your notes and your revision guide too. Even just before the exam (I actually found that suprisingly useful).

Another thing, revise from what the first exams you have first.
You'll have the Christmas holidays to revise for the rest of the mock exams, right?
So say you have Maths Paper 1 (Non Calc) on the 10th but you have Biology Paper 1 not until the 17th. Focus on both of them, but focus more on the maths, as you have a whole week to slot in more revision for the Biology paper.

Avoid exam papers too, as you may just accidentally revise over a paper you'll end up doing in your mock. That's up to you though; but I wouldn't focus on grades, I'd focus on improvments from before - like your Year 10 mocks (Which take into account had less context). But if you have some revision workbooks, use them. If you don't want to write it and just skim through it, talk it out to yourself in a fun way which helps you to remember.

-

For the part for your actual GCSEs, it's not too late to start placing the revision in!
It is best to do it now than later, to spread out the revision more and have more time to understand it. If you understand it, it can be easier to remember and recall, and then apply it.
If you truely believe in yourself (Don't tell yourself that you'll get low marks otherwise you're not motivating yourself as much), then you can get the highest grades you want. It may just take that extra effort compared to others, but it'll be worth it in the end.

I hope this helps in some form, and the best of luck for your exams!
this helps a TON thank you so much!
SmolPotato
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Glad to hear! No problemo, and good luck once again! 😊
Success_student9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes thanks sooo much x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
9.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.84%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.49%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.43%

Watched Threads